Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By superpaolo
  • 1 Post By inorog

Thread: Help identifying broken components on BREVILLE BES860

Help identifying broken components on BREVILLE BES860

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,
    I recently bought a second hand Breville BES860 coffee machine second hand that was supposed to be serviced recently.
    After about 4 weeks of operation, I discovered the following issues (may all be connected):

- the pressure while pouring shots is highly inconsistent, irrespective of the type/quantity of coffee used. In general, it often pours with the gauge showing little pressure or intermittent pressure.

- When frothing the milk the machine makes occasionally (I'd say 1 out 3 times) an extremely loud high pitch noise

- More and more the machine started leaking from the top right where the steam wand is attached when operating the steam wand. I've checked the metal nut and it seems well tighten

I'd like to try to fix it myself (otherwise it may be worth to just buy a new one give age/repairing cost) and would really appreciate your thoughts on what could be the likely parts that need to be replaced.

Thanks a lot guys for helping!!
    Paolo
    Last edited by superpaolo; 1 Week Ago at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by superpaolo View Post
    - When frotting the milk the machine makes occasionally (I'd say 1 out 3 times) an extremely loud high pitch noise

Paolo
    Welcome to the forum Paola!

Unfortunately don't know anything about Breville, but this is a family friendly forum. We don't really talk about 'frotting' here (google it).

Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post

Unfortunately don't know anything about Breville, but this is a family friendly forum. We don't really talk about 'frotting' here (google it).
    I had a laugh
    Thanks for the welcome!
    338 likes this.

What types of coffee have you tried? What is the roast date of the coffees? The noise it makes while steaming could be due to the position of the steam wand tip in relation to the surface of the milk, if the milk isn't warm yet don't submerge the tip. As for the leak it probably needs the o-ring replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    What types of coffee have you tried? What is the roast date of the coffees? The noise it makes while steaming could be due to the position of the steam wand tip in relation to the surface of the milk, if the milk isn't warm yet don't submerge the tip. As for the leak it probably needs the o-ring replaced.
    Well, at this point you must have figured out that I'm a complete newbie

I'll have a look at the wand o-ring for the water leak, thanks!

Re noise, I'll follow the suggestions on the position of the wand and see if that fixes it.
    I'm leaving a link on the topic for other newbies that may end up here with a similar question related to the high pitch noise from the steam wand (hope it's ok as it doesn't come from this forum)
    https://cooking.stackexchange.com/qu...-steaming-milk

Regarding the coffee, I'm using some commercial Lavazza beans "qualita' oro" that I bought at the supermarket, the expiring date is 05/2020 but they don't mention the roast date.
    My initial objective would be to get a decent shot at the right level of temperature/pressure but eager to get directions on alternatives!

Thanks!
    Paolo

Your pressure problems are due to the beans. Medium roasted beans are generally best up until 3-4 weeks old, though some people keep drinking until 6 weeks post roast. Most coffee with expiry dates only is roasted between 12-15 months before the expiry date, so yours are at best 5-6 months old. The older beans get the finer you need to grind them to achieve the same shot, yours are beyond salvaging. How these companies sell enough to make a profit is beyond me. I recommend you get yourself some fresh roasted quality beans from here: https://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/ (the surprise me option or espresso wow are a great place to start)

Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post

In hindsight - perhaps one should *not* google it

And my claim to fame is using the word in a senior management report some many years ago... Nobody even asked what "mental fr*ttage" meant ... Oh well.
    338 likes this.