Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By tampinator
  • 1 Post By tampinator
  • 2 Post By noidle22

Thread: Breville Barista Pro BES878 heating & Setting Q.

Question Breville Barista Pro BES878 heating & Setting Q.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, Iím curious to know if anyone whoís owns this machine could help me out with this question:
    1: This machine doesnít heat enough the cup warmer area, I mean, it really doesnít, compared with the 860 and 870 previous models, who really get hot on the cup warmer, is there any way to regulate the heat besides of the water temperature on the settings?, or is just normal?.

2: Water temperature isnít hot enough, getting into settings, selecting temperature, if I select maximum temperature, water doesnít pass the 157 F , is this normal or thatís the top temperature on this machine?.

3: last but not the least, I know that some machines required to heat the group head and porta filter and also the cup so you can get the best espresso results, but since this model works as volumetric dosage, I tried the factory settings, also increasing the coffee amount dosage, even far , set the grinder as maximum finer grind, and the shot still pouring fast, I do have crema, dark to amber and gold colour, but I cannot get rid of the bitter and sour taste, this has 30 grind sets and also into the conical gear you can still setting an extra corse to fine grind settings, as my previous Breville models wasnít that complicated to set, this one seems to work in a different way, I tried almost 6 bags full of coffee from fresh roasted ( 3-5 and a week plus 2 weeks old ) to the commercial supermarket type grains and Iím still stuck in the same situation, machine is new, being in my hands from day 1, is this model that hard to operates or thereís a possibility that this machine is factory malfunctioning?. This model is pretty new here in Canada, the 870 still the number 1 top selling , I upgraded because I though that could be way better but Iím starting to regret my decision, I would appreciate any type of answer or suggestions, thank so much !!.

Sounds like a faulty machine, I'd contact Breville
    BrevillePug likes this.

That’s what I though, but since there’s not many information regarding to this machine, I didn’t know if that’s the way it works or could possibly be faulty, I will call today in the morning, then I’ll post back whatever the said , ������

Definitely a faulty product, send it back right now!!.

Quote Originally Posted by BrevillePug View Post
    Hi, Iím curious to know if anyone whoís owns this machine could help me out with this question:
    1: This machine doesnít heat enough the cup warmer area, I mean, it really doesnít, compared with the 860 and 870 previous models, who really get hot on the cup warmer, is there any way to regulate the heat besides of the water temperature on the settings?, or is just normal?.
    Hi Breville Pug, mine is exactly the same in this area. Do you find leaving the portafilter locked in while the machine is turned on for 10 minutes or so doesnít even warm up the portafilter?
    BrevillePug likes this.

No, it doesn’t, this particular machine stay On for 39 minutes and after that time it’s turned off. It doesn’t even warm the porta filter, I talked to Breville Tech and they said based on my issues it is a faulty machine, I just send to return, they will check it out and replaced if is necessary.
    he also recognized that this is a newer model and there’s not many feedback or any sort of information out there, I have pretty much understanding about this brand, so if there’s any other questions don’t hesitate to ask!!.

No, it doesnít, this particular machine stay On for 39 minutes and after that time itís turned off. It doesnít even warm the porta filter, I talked to Breville Tech and they said based on my issues it is a faulty machine, I just send to return, they will check it out and replaced if is necessary.
    he also recognized that this is a newer model and thereís not many feedback or any sort of information out there, I have pretty much understanding about this brand, so if thereís any other questions donít hesitate to ask!!.
    Thanks for that, I can extract coffee well but I use a seperate grinder not the one built in.. I canít seem to get the cup warmer area or portafilter hot (without flushing heaps of hot water through).
    BrevillePug likes this.

I think that’s a Breville design problem and they are aware, they do recommend to do double empty shot with the porta filter on it so it can warming up fast, I know they promoted this machine with the Thermo Jet feature which is ready on 2-3 seconds, there’s absolutely not a problem with the frothing, it does the job quickly as 15-20 seconds, I do have another grinder but I didn’t thinking to use that instead the one on the machine.
    i just going to wait what the diagnosis shows, it might be some sort of fabrication problems, since this model is pretty much new, not many feedback, unlike the BES870XL, which is super popular and still number one sale around here ...

This machine uses the new design of water heater which eliminates the large chunk of hot aluminium they used to have directly over the group head. This means there is no thermal stability of the group head through the traditional means.
    The group head won't get hot and stay hot no matter how much water you pump through.

Get the portafilter hot and the cups warm then make the coffee, that's all you can do. I've not tested the intra-shot temperature stability of this new design of water heater however if it works as they say it does, the water reaching the coffee puck throughout the extraction should be fairly consistent.
    tampinator and BrevillePug like this.

Yes, I noticed the puck came out as should be. On the temperature, mine, setting at full hot range, didn’t passed over 157 F, not even got to 160 F. Even, when that temperature still reasonable for my taste, I couldn’t make it work with a good shot, I only tried with the build on grinder, so I don’t need to use an extra grind machine.
    however, I did not tried with the other separate grinder ( I should’ve doing that but I didn’t), my shot were all faster and running out until 19 then stopped, even when I set full fine grind , the machine supposed to chocked, but instead keeping pouring faster. I guess I just got a faulty machine, not to mention that this one is built in computer mode card, and I tell you, the box arrived pretty much beat up, I told the company immediately and I added some pictures, perhaps some kicks here and there produced some internal electrical malfunction..... , anyways, all I have to do is wait till they send me the diagnosis and what it was the problem, then I will know better.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    This machine uses the new design of water heater which eliminates the large chunk of hot aluminium they used to have directly over the group head. This means there is no thermal stability of the group head through the traditional means.
    The group head won't get hot and stay hot no matter how much water you pump through.

Get the portafilter hot and the cups warm then make the coffee, that's all you can do. I've not tested the intra-shot temperature stability of this new design of water heater however if it works as they say it does, the water reaching the coffee puck throughout the extraction should be fairly consistent.
    Thanks for the clarification

On the temperature, mine, setting at full hot range, didnít passed over 157 F, not even got to 160 F.
    How are you measuring your temperature? Are you measuring the stream of espresso as it exits the portafilter? If so, those temperatures that you are seeing are normal.

Around 70C (158F) is what you will get when measuring the espresso. The machine delivers water to the coffee puck at the set temperature and by the time it's gone through the puck, through the basket, down the metal of the portafilter then dropped through the air to your temperature probe, it cools quite a lot.

The only way to accurately measure intra-shot extraction temperature is with a fast acting temp sensor embedded in the coffee puck or within the basket area when under extraction pressure and flow.
    An easy way for the home user to do this without special equipment is to use a dual wall basket with a flexible sensor in the basket. The sensor lead will run over the edge of the basket which can cause a small leak but the flow should be slow enough (due to the dual wall basket) that it gives a reasonably accurate reading.

You could also prepare the basket with ground coffee and put the sensor in it for another accurate way of doing it but this could be messy if it leaks too much.

Yes, that’s how we measure, we also removed the black plastic inside of the porta filter, you are correct on the temperature, but the temperature shows as maximum, which means is pretty much low in comparison with others Breville models , my friends have all those testing tools since most of them have Rancilio - Rocky - Marzocco etc etc , I’m the only poor of the group