Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bourne76

Thread: Upgrading my coffee machine help......!

Upgrading my coffee machine help......!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    For the last 8 or so years I have been using a Fracino Cherub and it has been a loyal servant but it is now starting to show signs of age (don't we all) and I am now looking to replace it with another machine and this is where you can hopefully help me and recommend something of similar or better quality for approx. 1000-1500

I currently use my Fracino for making latte's and the occasional espresso or americano so any new machine would have to be able to do the same. I typically make around 3-6 coffees a day but that probably increases on the days I work from home and I currently have a Eureka Mignon grinder that's only a couple of years old so not looking to replace that yet!

I do have a couple on my list that I was looking at, just buying a new Fracino Cherub or if I should consider moving to a Rocket Appartmento. I know the Fracino has been good over the years and the build quality is really good or at least it used to be but is the Rocket a good option and are there any others on the market I should consider?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Bourne76; 14th November 2019 at 02:38 AM.

Not sure where you live but I am in the states. One that is appealing to me that is below the price point of the apartamento is the profitec 300. It's a dual boiler espresso maker with PID and a shot timer from a rock solid German maker. It is not an E61 group head however.

An Apartamento is about $100 more.

Profitec isnt as pretty but finishes are really nice.

What do you mean when you say it's showing its age? If you're happy enough to buy another one you can probably get it overhauled for less
    Last edited by level3ninja; 14th November 2019 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Autocucumber

A couple of issues recently, started to leak which I got fixed and pressure on the steamer keeps dropping out randomly and happens more often if I'm trying to brew and steam at the same time. I could get it fixed and save a whole lot of money

@Wilpark, I'm in Scotland and the profitec 300 is more expensive over here. I did also look at the ECM Classika II PID, which is slightly more expensive than the Rocket and 100 cheaper than the profitec 300
    wilpark likes this.

Depending on how much more it is it still may be a better value if you dont mind it's not an E61 group head and its controls are switches. I have a lelit diana and love the toggle switches.
    Have you considered lelit? Italian made but made their bones making steam irons. The exterior is definitely not up to the standards of a Rocket , ECM or Profitec but the insides are fitted with quality components.

I haven't looked at a Lelit yet but had a quick look and a Lelit Mara 62 Deluxe is about 100 cheaper than the Rocket I was looking at. I'll compare against the others but it does say it is a e61 group head, was there a specific one you were referring to

The Mara is a nice little heat exchange unit with an E61 group head. Does the deluxe come with PID? There is some debate as to the benefit of a PID on an H/X espresso maker. The price difference between a lelit Mara and an Apartamento is about $300.00 here. The Mara is $1350.00 but about a year ago one with the PID could be had for $999.99
    But for the price difference in Scottland the Apartamento is the better option.

There doesn't seem to be much difference in the deluxe and the standard, none come with a pid and are both a fixed probe to Gicar. The deluxe has 'deluxe style knobs' listed and a better tamper on the description but not worth the 70 extra if that's the only difference

Here are the prices in Scotland, they are in GBP

Lelit Mara 62 Standard - 929
    Lelit Mara 62 Deluxe - 999
    ECM Classika II PID - 1129
    Rocket Appartmento - 1169
    Profitec 300 - 1249 (with pid)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourne76 View Post
    There doesn't seem to be much difference in the deluxe and the standard, none come with a pid and are both a fixed probe to Gicar. The deluxe has 'deluxe style knobs' listed and a better tamper on the description but not worth the 70 extra if that's the only difference

Here are the prices in Scotland, they are in GBP

Lelit Mara 62 Standard - 929
    Lelit Mara 62 Deluxe - 999
    ECM Classika II PID - 1129
    Rocket Appartmento - 1169
    Profitec 300 - 1249 (with pid)
    The thing I like most regarding the Profitec is the dual boiler. This is what pushed me to get the Lelit Diana over the Mara.

But h/x makers are terrific. Over all with the price difference not being dramatically different the Rocket would be beautiful sitting on a counter in the kitchen.