Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By gerbi

Thread: Breville 58mm portafilter

Breville 58mm portafilter

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey,

I have a BES920 and picked up another portafilter 2nd hand to modify into a bottomless one. The seller had no idea what machine it come from but from the pics it looked the same as the one I have. I picked it up today and it is slightly different as you can see in the pics below.

The tabs on the side are slightly different but the main difference is the little scoop out of the handle.

If I cut out a section of the handle to match the one I have should it work ok?

Thanks
    Marty
    Attached Images Attached Images

Before cutting anything, firstly try it out if it will fit into your BES920. YOu might find you might not need to cut anything. If it fits, the next thing to try out is to put a blind filter in the PF and simulate a backflush. It will confirm if the PF will fit properly and seal properly. I tried using the Breville PF on my E61 HX and on initial assessment, it looked like it will fit quite snugly but when I did the blind filter the whole PF just "exploded" out of the group head grooves and it was because the ears was just not wide enough but you couldn't tell that without putting it under pressure. If you can successfully do a few backflushed without either it leaking from the sealed area or without it "exploding out", then you can use it to extract espressos.

From the limited angle in the photo that looks like it's a PF from a Breville BES900. As you noted the primary difference is the lack of notch. Yes if you cut the notch it will essentially be the same as your other portafilter.
    martyk likes this.

Here are a few more photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by NewToEspresso View Post
    Before cutting anything, firstly try it out if it will fit into your BES920. YOu might find you might not need to cut anything. If it fits, the next thing to try out is to put a blind filter in the PF and simulate a backflush. It will confirm if the PF will fit properly and seal properly. I tried using the Breville PF on my E61 HX and on initial assessment, it looked like it will fit quite snugly but when I did the blind filter the whole PF just "exploded" out of the group head grooves and it was because the ears was just not wide enough but you couldn't tell that without putting it under pressure. If you can successfully do a few backflushed without either it leaking from the sealed area or without it "exploding out", then you can use it to extract espressos.
    It does go into the group head but there is a little resistance and don't want to force it... I will try what you said and if that's doesn't work I'll trying filing the handle section down enough till it fits.

Thanks for the replies.

If the end of the handle looks identical it's from a 900 and forcing it will only damage your machine

In case it's 900 one and you want to modify it (add that notch).

I did this to my BES900 portafilter to fit BES920. Was going to use Dremel but I was surprised the metal is so soft so I ended up using manual file and it took me like half an hour or so to make a notch deep enough to stop handle from "biting" into the "collar" around shower screen.

BUT! In my case tabs are identical and the only difference was missing notch on BES900 portafiter.

Without the notch I was able to put BES900 portafilter into BES920 but was able to tight it up to 30%-40% only - after that the handle was touching (pushing into) the metal "collar" around the shower screen.

I believe you should be able to see if 2nd poratifilter is going to fit before adding that notch - just don't push it too far while you are testing.
    martyk likes this.