• 6 Post By saeco_user
  • 1 Post By JetBlack_Espresso
  • 1 Post By Erimus
  • 2 Post By 338
  • 3 Post By robusto

Thread: please help a girl cross over from pods

please help a girl cross over from pods

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hello everyone. my name is danielle and i was hoping to get some advice.

my nespresso machine died and i dont like instant coffee so i really want to get a new machine as soon as possible.
    my husband wants us to possibly look at getting a proper machine but we are very limited in bench space due to our small kitchen.
    if i was to cross over to beans i would probably want a fully automatic machine that also has an automatic milk frother.

ive been trying to look on my own but am finding it overwhelming,
    can i please get some advice on this? budget wise i would say around $1,200 would be good but i guess happy to spend up to around $2,000 if it is something that i could have and enjoy for years to come.

im on the verge of crossing over to beans but just need that little bit of help to get there!

happy to read an old thread if anyone can point me in the right direction

thankyou

with that budget Id strongly suggest go to a FEW coffee retailers, don't just stop at one, cos they might be trying to runout a model. not knowing where you are, have a look at the sponsor pages.
    grinders are VERY important, sure theres a lot to learn and some very worthwhile lower cost machines around like breville bes920 and smart grinder( I still have one of these amongst my commercial machines) EM7000 (sunbeams equivalent) or if budget is avail you could go for gold with an E61 type unit.
    Reason I suggest going to a proper store(not Harvey norman) is to see how they work and whats involved. If your a clean freak you mightn't like the mess that can be created until you get your making groove on.
    sorry I don't know your experience so hopefully this comes across as helpful!
    once you get the snob bug if I can call it that you wont turn back and buying a coffee out will become a cup full of disappointment
    good luck!
    flashpixx and chippy like this.

The Breville Oracle (BES980) is the easiest & cleanest “mostly automatic” machine in your $2k budget...

Anything else will need a separate grinder & machine, and likely cause more mess or be harder to manage when moving on from pods.

By all means, go visit a forum sponsor and have a look at the proper machines first - maybe a Lelit Kate or one of the other machines with inbuilt grinder...

A Rancilio Rocky or Eureka Mignon Silencio for a grinder.

A Rancilio Silvia will do for an espresso machine.

Quote Originally Posted by wattgn View Post

I had a silvia v1 do youstill have to do that temp surfing thing with them?

Quote Originally Posted by wattgn View Post

but none of these address the Ops requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by flashpixx View Post
    but none of these address the Ops requirements.
    Yes, i guess if you want a fully automatic everything then you should just ask the salesman in Harvey Norman his advice. I would stick to pods as they are better than you'd get out of a fully automatic setup.

Oh, I dunno...

There are a few happy CSers with the "Breville Oracle" it's at least worth looking at.

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Danjellicus View Post

my nespresso machine died and i dont like instant coffee so i really want to get a new machine as soon as possible.
    my husband wants us to possibly look at getting a proper machine but we are very limited in bench space due to our small kitchen.
    if i was to cross over to beans i would probably want a fully automatic machine that also has an automatic milk frother.

can i please get some advice on this? budget wise i would say around $1,200 would be good but i guess happy to spend up to around $2,000 if it is something that i could have and enjoy for years to come.

im on the verge of crossing over to beans but just need that little bit of help to get there!

thankyou
    G'day Danjellicus

The bad news - even the "single box" Breville Oracle mentioned does not really cut it for long in terms of quality in the cuppa. I suspect you would outgrow it in a few months.

Next bad news, the cheaper capable grinders are around $200 and tend to make a mess (static clumping) and vary from one to another of the same model. I would suggest you start with a Breville smartgrinder as the Sunbeam service & parts have fallen into a black hole lately (ask noidle22 - same view as my main repairer in Perth). If your budget can cope, the two best home grinders appear to be the Mahlkoenig Vario (around $800 each, I have three of them) and the Niche (around $1200 each, a couple of friends are happy with theirs). They are both small and quiet enough to fit into most homes easily. My experience (YMMV) is the lesser ones are not enough of an improvement over the smartgrinder to be worth the extra cash.

As for machines, I still reckon the Sunbeam 6910 is unbeatable value (circa $600), there is a similar Breville at a similar cost (cannot remember the model - plenty of CS'r's' would know it). A notch more expensive is the SB 7000 - much quieter, however I still prefer the 6910 personally (owned both one 7000 and several 6910's, kept one 6910 when I "upgraded" to a DE1). Going beyond that you get into small boiler machines, then small double boiler machines and in my view they are a PITA in a domestic environment and certainly not worth the fuss / extra expense. Heating an entire boiler for home use also increases your power consumption for no added benefit - and certainly no improvement in temperature / pressure stability. Going upmarket from there, your budget would be shredded.

If your husband is handy with such things, buying a secondhand 6910 for (say) $200 is an equally good option. Buying from a CS'r should be pretty safe - or from one of the site sponsors.

Oh, and the grinder is way, way more important than the machine - after those precious beans go through a poor grinder no espresso machine can redress the travesty...

I hope this helps and you end up enjoying another level of coffee excellence.

TampIt
    Sullo, flashpixx and chippy like this.

Still doesn't meet the brief. The OP is looking towards Auto or close to, so it's a waste of time suggesting manual.

Breville Oracle is head and shoulders the best match to Danielle's requirements. The cup quality is also superior tot the superautos.
    Dimal and Danjellicus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TampIt View Post
    If your husband is handy with such things, buying a secondhand 6910 for (say) $200 is an equally good option.
    How do you know Danielle isn't handy with such things???

Danielle, my suggestion is the Breville Bes870 which I have used two for the last 6 years, the first died after 3 years and I had foolishly declined extended warranty.

Like you I wanted something better than capsules and now wonder why I didn't do it sooner.

This is at the low end, about $600 for the machine with 1 year warranty and another $100 for 4 years extended warranty. You need it, these consumer machines tend to clog up no matter how well you follow the instructions.

Size is right, small with built in grinder. The grinder is adequate, not superlative but works well with fresh roasted beans.

Semiautomatic, you auto fill the portafilter but manually tamp and twist on. Only manual milk frothing but it works. Super quick to be ready after turning on.

Hope you find your perfect solution. It is worth doing.

I had a superauto. Did anydrink at press of a button. It held nearly a coffee worth of grinds in the grinder. So it was best suited to a situation that would use machine at least every hour. If not, the first drink (certainly in the morning) is a sink job as the machine uses those staled grinds first.
    I use a hand grinder, but I know that is not for everyone.

Site Sponsor

thankyou
    The Lelit Kate might suit. It's not an auto, but it's about as easy as a manual machine can get, (digital timed grinder) has the advantage of making cafe quality coffee (versus an auto that can't) and because it's got the grinder built in, it is as clean as an auto and reasonably compact.

charlie
    Dimal likes this.

Another vote for the BES 878 Barista Pro. This will serve all your needs, save space on your counter and comes in below $1,000. I had the previous model, the 870 Barista Express and it was still going strong after 4 years, sold it on here.

The BES980 oracle is on Black Friday sale on Amazon for $1759, in case that fits the budget - otherwise the 878 will be even cheaper.

Or get the Lelit if you want something more solid...

The BES878 on the Ding Lee fleabay store after 20% off is approx $670

Quote Originally Posted by saeco_user View Post
    Fair call - I didn't realise the oops.

The best mechanic my Yammy 11+ (stretched to fit me properly, DCP Concorde fairing set up by Comair wind tunnel) ever had was a diminutive 19 yo woman... Even if she had to hit the horn when returning to the workshop so someone could catch her.

Thank you Sullo for your suggestions.

Hi Erimus,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have been looking at the Barista Pro but don’t like that I have to stamp my coffee. I feel like I’m just going to make a huge mess in the mornings.

Hi Shuano for your lovely recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlack_Espresso View Post
    The Lelit Kate might suit. It's not an auto, but it's about as easy as a manual machine can get, (digital timed grinder) has the advantage of making cafe quality coffee (versus an auto that can't) and because it's got the grinder built in, it is as clean as an auto and reasonably compact.

charlie
    Thank you JetBlack Espresso. Had a look into that model. Problem is that I have to wait for it to warm up for 5 minutes. It seems less convenient and a little messy as I have to tamp the coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by saeco_user View Post
    I can be handy but I would say my hubby is worse than me. I honestly just want to keep it really simple and have minimal mess.

Thank you WarrenK. I’ll definitely be looking at extended warranty. Thanks for that excellent tip!

All coffee machines will make a slight mess. If by stamp you mean tamp, it's no real hardship. The 878 will make comparable coffee as the Oracle for less than half the price. Some Pod machines can be messy too, with their milk frothers, yuk!
    A fully automatic machine will not clean itself, so you're not gaining anything going that route apart from emptier pockets.
    Dimal likes this.

Thank you JetBlack Espresso. Had a look into that model. Problem is that I have to wait for it to warm up for 5 minutes. It seems less convenient and a little messy as I have to tamp the coffee.
    Don't be too fussed about the five minutes, anything less than that isn't true. You actually need to wait for the portafilter (the bit holding the coffee) to warm up. There is a little mess with all of the suggestionsbut less effort than cleaning an auto.
    Dimal and level3ninja like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    but less effort than cleaning an auto.
    You can say that again.

For the auto, clean the microfibre cloth, fill 2 10-litre buckets with water, one also with detergent, spray off loose dirt, wipe from detergent bucket, rinse cloth in other bucket, rinse off the suds...and that's just for the bonnet.
    DamianS, Dimal and 338 like this.