• 3 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By darkliger
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 2 Post By DamianS
  • 1 Post By okitoki

Thread: Sunbeam EM7000/7100 or Breville BES920

Sunbeam EM7000/7100 or Breville BES920

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have had two Sunbeam EM6910 over the last 11 years.
    Been happy with them but last one finally packed in.
    Looking at either the two above models as I want to be able to froth the milk as the coffee is pouring 😀
    Sunbeam is $629 cheapest price and Breville $799
    or is there any other models that will let me steam and pour at the same time for similar price?
    Thanks 😀

Of the two, the BES920 is the most highly thought of around here...
    Another option could be to consider a used HX machine perhaps.

Mal.

There isn't anything else new at that price range that I'm aware of, as Mal said something second hand could bring others into the price range.

Out of these 2 machines it depends what you want in a machine as to which will better suit you. If you want something that is up to temperature in a few minutes and you just want to walk up, make a coffee or two and walk away the 7000 might be better for you. If you want a bit more control and adjustability the 920 might be better. Personally I have a 920 and an quite impressed with it. It's 4-5 years old and I recently gave it a major service, apart from a few things the inside of the machine looked brand spanking new. I know I look after it but I was expecting a bit more wear and tear.

What grinder will you be pairing with the new machine?

P.S. if you're in Sydney and looking to offload the dud 6910 I might know a guy
    DamianS, Dimal and CafeLotta like this.

Sorry I just threw both machines out in the bin I'm thinking now I should have maybe got the more recent one repaired I had a laugh.
    It was pouring fast watery coffee and no pressure on pressure gauge and water in the drop tray.
    I spent hours checking it and reading posts on here but ended up putting it in the too hard basket ��
    i got the sunbeam matching grinder I think it's called the 480.
    how does the Breville differ from what I'm used to with the sunbeam please ?

I ended up going out today and getting the Sunbeam 7000
    I got it for $580
    Couldnt wait any longer I was missing my morning coffee too much I had a laugh

Fair enough! I had a reply half written but kept getting pulled away today. The two biggest differences would be the warm up time and adjustability of settings, with the Sunbeam bring on the lower end of both, and the Breville on the higher end of both (both are still relatively quick to warm up, the Sunbeam is just quicker). Hope you get the coffee flowing again soon.

P.S. if ever you do want to upgrade, start with the grinder, then do baskets and tamper. That'll take you a very long way before you need to think about upgrading the machine. If you're happy how it is then carry on.

Just trying out new machine .. help��
    I'm trying everything getting horrible watery coffee.
    The pressure is in the right place. I've fiddled with the settings as it was pouring for ages !
    I only use double basket.
    When I try and stretch the milk it heats up quick and milk is watery nothing like my old sunbeam.
    also I think the sensor on steam wand may be a waste of time as to get the right sound without screaching that part isn't in milk !
    any ideas where I go from here please in getting this machine to make decent coffee.
    I also need to grind over 20g to fill the basket to the right spot

Try to increase the dose to 23-24 for the double basket and fiddle with grind setting to get a good extraction.

Ignore the sensor gauge on the machine as it sometimes isn't accurate. I recommend getting a thermometer to stick into the jug.
    latte_girl likes this.

yep I have a thermometer I'll go back to using that
    I'm wondering if I should make the steam wand dryer in the advanced settings

Quote Originally Posted by latte_girl View Post
    Just trying out new machine .. help
    I'm trying everything getting horrible watery coffee.
    The pressure is in the right place. I've fiddled with the settings as it was pouring for ages !
    I only use double basket.
    When I try and stretch the milk it heats up quick and milk is watery nothing like my old sunbeam.
    also I think the sensor on steam wand may be a waste of time as to get the right sound without screaching that part isn't in milk !
    any ideas where I go from here please in getting this machine to make decent coffee.
    I also need to grind over 20g to fill the basket to the right spot
    G'Day latte_girl

A bit late now, however when I upgraded (Feb 2019 to a DE1) I gave away my August 2014 7000 and kept my August 2008 6910. I prefer the 6910. I was forced into the 7000 as it was a lot quieter when doing a shot. Domestic harmony (over)ruled. Luckily the 6910 froths milk quietly (the DE1 does not do milk and coffee at the same time - probably its worst flaw).

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Firstly, ignore the gauge of the 7000 until you have dialled the coffee in and then note the setting. My 7000 "shot gauge" was way, way out for the first year. Judge by the actual flow into the cuppa. You may have to set up your grinder again as the 7000 has about 80% of the shot grunt of the 6910 - so a slightly coarser grind compared to the 6910 is essential.

Milk - AFAIAC, the "autowand" is only good for getting newbies to produce something OK. I don't ever accept OK... It was really hard to get the milk exactly correct - I ended up using my separate milk thermometer (used with the 6910) until finally I tamed the 7000's quirks. That proved possible, however when I went back to the 6910, the "7000 method" did not work on my 6910 - back to the "unlearning board". I can only suggest you persist with the milk - it is possible, however it is tricky.

Hopefully you will be enjoying your cuppa soon.

TampIt
    PS: How did you kill not one, but two 6910s? Apart from using poor water they are really difficult to kill, and quite simple to repair.

My First one was 8 years old when it went to machine heaven.
    stopped making steam tried everything to fix it from Post off here.
    was going to get it repaired but work had the same model they sold me for $50! lasted couple of years then no pressure water pouring out around group head. and pouring into drip tray.
    I spent hours again trying to fix New collar spacer etc in the end was over it so dumped both of them in the bin I had a laugh.
    apparantly this second one always had collar problems since New so I was lucky to get 2 years out of it.
    I always keep clean and take care of them.
    Thanks for your advice I will keep trying.
    coffee was slightly better this morning.
    I dosed the same way I used to not like they say I just got to fine tune the grind and get some stronger coffee I think

This machine terrible I'm now taking it back hopefully I can get my money back.
    Any Idea which one I should buy to replace it ?

What makes you say it's terrible? It won't be identical to your 6910s and may require going back to basics and figuring out what it needs again. Any new machine you get will need this. More than happy to help with the process whatever machine you end up with.

The coffee side of the EM7000 is identical to the EM6910. Same pump, same thermoblock, same temperature management, same shower screen setup. The only difference is the piping between everything and the 7000 having a noise reducer on the pump imstead of a safety/priming valve on the 6910.
    Neither provide any brew pressure management so the group head will receive the same pressure.

Weak coffee and a fast flow rate is a grinder or bean problem. The gauge derives an output based off the flowmeter in the machine, it is not a reliable tool for troubleshooting problems.

What grinder and beans are you using? Were you using dual wall baskets on your old machine and now single wall baskets on this new machine?

The steam wand should be very easy to use. If there is a strong, steady and dry steam output then it will froth very well. You said it heats the milk fast which indicates there's good steam flow, you just need to learn how to utilise it.

You can reduce the steam pump rate to lower steam output whilst retaining dryness, this could make it more manageable. Instructions for this are outlined in the user manual under the advanced settings.
    I wouldn't adjust the thermoblock temperature, on a machine with a normally functioning steam thermoblock, standard temperature is fine. As yours is new, it will be fine.

Thanks but I returned the machine.
    I'm using the sunbeam EMO480 grinder the same one I was using with my
    EM6910 I also have a new emo 440 still in box ive not used yet
    Looking at getting Breville 920 dual boiler or a different Breville or Delonghi

The 920 is highly capable
    DamianS likes this.

When I was wanting a good but cheap machine which would start up very quickly, I chose the Breville DB over the Sunbeams, because although the Sunbeam machines can do good coffee and milk, they have lots of idiosyncrasies which knowledgeable owners need to work around, to produce sufficiently good coffee.

There are plenty of reviews of the 920 both here and on the internet.

Over 3 years, I have been very pleased with the 920's performance.
    When it stopped working recently, I was looking hard at the $4k machines, and also reconsidering the Sunbeams. In the end I decided to spend the $180 to get it repaired because I can't see the value (yet) in spending 5 times the cost for a 'real' espresso machine.

If you do wish to try a 920, make sure to buy it from a store in which you can add on extra warranty, up to 5 years.
    latte_girl and WarrenK like this.

I ended up just buying another EM6910 as I am so used to this machine.
    Its a second hand one not sure how old it is but its newer than my previous two as it has the different water level in it and the group head looks different. I don't know what other differences it has yet. Does anyone know?
    This will bide me time to keep and eye out on the price for the Breville 920 and then I will buy one when I see it for a good price

Rbn
    I have had 3 6910 machines, because I keep supplying my family with them. I also have a 7000.

They both seem to make good coffee, I use naked P/F and VST baskets, weigh the shot, keep it at 16gms in a 15gm VST or Decent Espresso basket. 480 grinder.

Only issue I have is when we go holiday taking my 5600, that is a whole new world trying to get a sweet shot!

I progressive tamp, and also pre-infuse, let it sit for a short time.
    For me, a slow start, sometimes a drip, then a flow, cut it when it gets a bit blond.
    I use the manual button.
    Last edited by rawill; 13th January 2020 at 08:08 PM.

Double check the size of your baskets to determine how much beans your need to grind.... different model may have different requirements.

picked up my BES920 from GG during Boxing day at $799; used shop back and got back another $20;
    replaced my BES900 from before... 900 had no issues with it beside some very minor drips from the steam wand, but thought I might just get a new toy...

the new 920 is working just as well as the 900; same performance, same good coffee... only difference is the double basket is increased from 18g to 20g;

Also make sure your beans are fresh, and have a good grinder to go with it.
    (double check that if you were using pressurised filter coffee baskets before?)
    rawill likes this.