Thread: Sunbeam EM7000 - cleaning the water reservoir

Sunbeam EM7000 - cleaning the water reservoir

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Does anyone know how to clean the white plastic "float" section inside the reservoir? It is about the size of a box of tictacs and has a white lid. It looks like the white lid can come off so that the small space inside can be cleaned, but it is not budging for me and I don't want to force it. It is looking a bit grimy in there so I would like to clean it somehow. I can't find any mention of this part in the manual or on Youtube vids.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by capnstoobie View Post
    Does anyone know how to clean the white plastic "float" section inside the reservoir? It is about the size of a box of tictacs and has a white lid. It looks like the white lid can come off so that the small space inside can be cleaned, but it is not budging for me and I don't want to force it. It is looking a bit grimy in there so I would like to clean it somehow. I can't find any mention of this part in the manual or on Youtube vids.

Thanks!
    G'day capnstoobie

That section holds the magnet for the low water warning light. I would tend to leave it alone rather than pull it apart. I must have done half a dozen friend's 6910s where they tinkered in that area and created an extra problem. If you are good with such things, feel free to give it a try...

There are numerous cleaners that can get in there and clean it (I use watered down vinegar as a first resort, then escalate as needed).

TampIt

Thanks TampIt, I will try the vinegar! The low water warning has been a bit erratic for a while, I can fill up the water and it won't turn off the warning light/beep. Maybe the float just needs a good clean.

It's more likely that the magnet has been demagnetised a bit and no longer activates the reed switch.

If it's similar to the 6910 tank, the lid has a bit of glue holding it, it should come off with a bit of manipulation.
    If your magnet is playing up, you could use this opportunity to put another magnet inside the float. Too big a magnet, and the float will not float.
    Use a Neodymium Magnet, but the plain ones will rust eventually. Reseal float with something food grade...