Thread: Breville BES870 - faulty steam pressure

Breville BES870 - faulty steam pressure

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all - my husband and I use our BES-870 alllll the time, and we have since we got it a couple of years ago. However, recently Iíve noticed the pressure the steam wand is putting out is significantly less, and itís sporadic-not consistent like it used to be once it really gets going. My husband canít tell any difference, but itís significant to me. Weíve done a couple of descalings with vinegar and then Jura tablets, removed the steam wand entirely and run a pipe cleaner through it, and run multiple cleaning cycles. It doesnít make much of a difference. Has anyone seen this before, and does anyone have any idea what causes it? We could take it to be serviced but I honestly donít know how weíll live without it for a couple of weeks. I have a video if that would be helpful. I just need to find the least public place to host it. 🤪

You can upload a video to YouTube anonymously and post a link here. Have you cleaned the holes in the tip of the steam wand?

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    You can upload a video to YouTube anonymously and post a link here. Have you cleaned the holes in the tip of the steam wand?
    Thank you so much for the response. Yes, we definitely have cleaned that (just a single hole) multiple times as well.

Video: https://youtu.be/bYqmYddO9zE

That video is difficult to see a problem with, especially without a before and after. I don't have an 870 on the bench anymore to compare it to either. All I can think is it might be scaled up a bit still, or the element isn't performing at 100% anymore.

When you descale it are there still bits of scale floating on the water?

With the last one we did (big one - 3 half hour sessions where we were turning it on, running it, turning it off, waiting half an hour, then doing another session. 3 tablets in 2 litres of water) there were some tiny bits floating on the water after the first session, but not the ones after.