Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By noidle22

Thread: BES920 Vacuum valve repair tip required

BES920 Vacuum valve repair tip required

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone,

letís start by saying Iím a DIYer and am usually pretty competent at fixing most things. I have a BES920 which Iíve had reason to replace the vacuum valve on the top of the steam boiler. Now that Iíve received the parts I canít figure out how the stainless pin is held in there as when I install as per the exploded diagram it just falls out... Iím not sure how itís supposed to be held in there. Has anybody attempted this repair before and could provide a tip for me?

The centre pin just sits unrestrained on the top of the boiler. The teflon insert is pushed up into the stainless threaded fitting then you screw the fitting into the boiler.

The centre pin has to remain free as this is how it works. Moves up to close when the boiler is under pressure then drops down to open when it cools.

How did your original valve fail? I've never seen one break or leak badly enough to warrant replacement and I've seen a lot.
    JayRad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post

How did your original valve fail? I've never seen one break or leak badly enough to warrant replacement and I've seen a lot.
    I have heard of it. Though agree that it is exceedingly rare. Happened to one of mine in early 2013. It was just off warranty but BrevilleUSA replaced the machine with a brand new one. I was embarrassed because I’m quite sure I could have fixed it myself.

Could scale or accumulation of other non-scale minerals have caused it to stick? I use water with no Ca or Mg (so scale not possible), but I still drain my steam boiler every month or other just to reduce concentration of whatever minerals are there nevertheless.

-Peter

I was removing the valve as one of the stainless collars that sit on the bottom of the water hoses fell in to the boiler... I completely blame a lack of coffee whilst fixing stuff. Unscrewing the valve and the thread was seized so it sheered off. Not happy jan. As far as I remember the “vacuum valve pin” was affixed from beneath the Teflon collar somehow... do you know how?

Quote Originally Posted by JayRad View Post
    As far as I remember the ďvacuum valve pinĒ was affixed from beneath the Teflon collar somehow
    It's not, it just sits on the top of the boiler then the fitting with the teflon insert in it goes over. Here's some pics of one I just disassembled. (Bonus round: Can you see why it's in for repair?)

20200224_170257.jpg 20200224_170349.jpg 20200224_170405.jpg

It's not, it just sits on the top of the boiler then the fitting with the teflon insert in it goes over. Here's some pics of one I just disassembled. (Bonus round: Can you see why it's in for repair?)
    It looks to me like you might be replacing the silicone O rings?

would you mind taking a photo for me of the the top of the boiler with all components of the vacuum valve removed if you get an opportunity? I had to drill out my old one then machine a new female fitting which I then fixed to the top of the boiler. Silly me didn’t foresee that the opening might be narrower to stop the piston falling right through. Hence my new problem. It would be extra handy if you could take a depth measurement for me too?

thanks in advance, you’ve been a great help so far

Quote Originally Posted by JayRad View Post
    It looks to me like you might be replacing the silicone O rings?

would you mind taking a photo for me of the the top of the boiler with all components of the vacuum valve removed if you get an opportunity? I had to drill out my old one then machine a new female fitting which I then fixed to the top of the boiler. Silly me didnít foresee that the opening might be narrower to stop the piston falling right through. Hence my new problem. It would be extra handy if you could take a depth measurement for me too?
    Yep it had bad o-rings.

The depth of the fitting from the top to where the valve pin sits is 10mm. The depth from the top to the surface of the boiler is 12mm.

The width of the hole in the boiler is 7mm.

20200302_143601.jpg

Yep it had bad o-rings.

The depth of the fitting from the top to where the valve pin sits is 10mm. The depth from the top to the surface of the boiler is 12mm.

The width of the hole in the boiler is 7mm.

20200302_143601.jpg
    you, sir, are a gentleman. A million thankyous.