Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By WarrenK
  • 1 Post By roosterben
  • 2 Post By swola
  • 1 Post By level3ninja

Thread: Breville Barista Express - Constant under extraction

Lightbulb Breville Barista Express - Constant under extraction

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey! I have recently started making my own coffee, did a barista course to learn the basics and got breville barista express thinking that Iíll help me extract a decent shot of espresso. Unfortunately thatís not what happened.

Beans: I use fresh, locally roasted beans (Jessieís Cafe, WA).
    Grinder settings: 1... first I tried with ď5Ē, but the extraction lasted 10 seconds, was watery and overall not good. Went lower but results were the same so I settled on ď1Ē and itís still not good.
    Dose: As advised by breville I put 18 grams in (double shot, non pressurised basket)
    Tamping: I practice tamping pressure on a scale (the one for humans ), I try to put 15-20kg of pressure while tamping.
    Extraction: 16-18 seconds to get 1:2 ratio so I guess itís too fast

Anyone has any idea what I might be doing wrong? Is the grinder setting wrong, is my too week etc.??

Thank you for all the help! Hope I explained everything, if not just ask me about more info )

See page 19 of manual, Adjusting Conical Burrs. One adjustment at a time, re-assemble.

The number for the grind size wheel of 1 indicates to me that you need to extend grinder range by adjusting the conical burrs.
    GOOD LUCK
    Andy, Dimal, Javaphile and 1 others like this.

That is a good machine to get into coffee properly, with fresh beans (as long as the beans are within 3 weeks of the roasting date they should be OK) you should be able to choke the machine with the built-in grinder. Breville actually have pretty good support so I would give them a ring.

It is fairly common with the Breville standalone grinders to install shim kits (I put some in a BCG 800), which are just washers which push the 2 part conical burr blades closer together. I am not sure if the shims work in the BES 870, but you could carefully follow the instructions and remove and re-seat your burrs and see if that makes a difference.

You could also just return it to the retailer and ask for an exchange.
    Dimal likes this.

Or what WarrenK say above as that sounds much easier!

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenK View Post
    See page 19 of manual, Adjusting Conical Burrs. One adjustment at a time, re-assemble.

The number for the grind size wheel of 1 indicates to me that you need to extend grinder range by adjusting the conical burrs.
    GOOD LUCK
    Thank you so much! I had no idea itís adjustable from the inside!

Changed it and now itís perfect!

thank you ))
    Dimal and Javaphile like this.

It's a pretty nifty design. Leave it set out of the box for stale supermarket beans in a pressurised basket, but adjustable to choke the unpressurised basket with just about any beans. Also means the same manufacturing tolerances produce fewer duds.
    Dimal likes this.