• 1 Post By roosterben
  • 2 Post By JetBlack_Espresso
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By roosterben

Thread: Ascaso Dream PID or NS Oscar II

Ascaso Dream PID or NS Oscar II

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys,

Hoping to get some thoughts and opinions on both of the above as I am currently trying to decide which machine to go with. I am aware that these are very different in terms of single boiler vs heat exchanger however I do really like the PID option with the Dream...

Looking online there has not been a great deal of positive feedback with Ascaso and their reliability...

If anyone has any useful feedback on both or either it would be greatly appreciated so that I can take the next step and get a unit!

Cheers,
    Casa Espresso and matth3wh like this.

I bought a used Ascaso Dream non-PID, absolute piece of junk. This didn't even have a proper shower screen as it was designed for ESE pods. Build quality was terrible and doesn't have a 3 way solenoid like most mid-range machines.

Oscar II is a much better choice of the two but for that price there are better machines. I have owned a few Oscar original versions and apart from the plastic case they are a superb machine.

Have a look at the Lelit, Rancilio Silvia and Ecm Casa machines.
    Dimal likes this.

Agree with the above suggestions, but not the Silvia (as a new machine), Lelit machines kill 'em...

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Agree with the above suggestions, but not the Silvia (as a new machine), Lelit machines kill 'em...
    I'll agree to disagree. The element design and longevity, internal build and serviceability of the V5 Silvia has me comprehensively in the Rancilio court for less expensive single boiler gear. It's come a long, long way.

No PID (yet) but that's fixable if desired.

Also if you will consider second hand, Silvias are super value, the market for second hand machines is very soft at the moment. You could find a good E61 heat exchange machine for $1,000 - $1,500 which would last heaps longer than a Oscar II due to the better quality frame and stainless steel case. I haven't looked but there are usually a few for sale on this site.
    Dimal likes this.

Site Sponsor
    You could also add the Lelit Victoria to your shortlist. It's a single boiler with PID (and pre-infusion, shot timer, standby mode). But like the Oscar it will auto fill the boiler while steaming which is a function usually only available on a HX/DB. So it's a bit like a hybrid single boiler/dual boiler in terms of capability but with the size and price of a SB. On top of this, the Victoria temperature stability is comparable to saturated group head machines which means you're going to get better and more consistent shots out of it compared to the Oscar.

charlie
    Dimal and matth3wh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinator View Post
    No PID (yet) but that's fixable if desired.
    Yes, but at a not insignificant cost for something decent and that would last as long as the machine itself.
    Rancilio still haven't addressed the susceptibility of the steel frame from corrosion either; pretty basic and should have been rectified many years ago...

Mal.
    saeco_user likes this.

Yeah frustrating when they leave design faults like that. Bit like the La Pavoni with the drip tray rust.

Easily fixed by a) drill a half-dozen holes in the bottom steel sheet b) One hole and a bend in middle with a slight angle would drain any water out of the bottom of the machine rather nicely
    Dimal likes this.