• 1 Post By goudgey
  • 1 Post By barlo
  • 4 Post By noidle22
  • 1 Post By goudgey
  • 3 Post By noidle22

Thread: Silvia V3 - repair or replace?

Silvia V3 - repair or replace?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, recently my Silvia V3 which Iíve had from new for some 8 or 9 years developed a fault and stopped heating. Iíve taken it in to a reputable service centre in Adelaide and theyíve quoted me $430 for replacement of boiler unit, element and sundries. The machine has run faultlessly up until this point and is in good general condition with none of the rust that typically corrodes Silvias over time.

My question is, should I invest so much money (almost half the price of a similar new Silvia or Lelit) in the repair of an old but much loved machine, or should I bite the bullet, cut my losses and get a new machine like a Lelit?

worth considering too is Iíll maybe need to replace my tamper depending on replacement machine if I go down that route.

G'day mate...

You wouldn't consider just buying the parts and do the work yourself?
    Lots of online 'how-to' tutorials on nearly all aspects of repairing Silvia machines.
    Definitely worth doing and the machine will be serviceable for another 8-9 years...

Mal.
    Javaphile, barlo and DaveD like this.

$430? Dodgy, nowhere in a Silvia is there $430 worth of work.

A new boiler comes with some new wiring, an element already installed and a new seal supplied, it takes 15 minutes to swap it out on a V3 Silvia. Say they're replacing the group seal and shower screen too plus backflushing, pressure testing and OPV adjustment if required, a competent technician should be able to do this within an hour. They're ripping you off.

If you have decent mechanical ability, all of this can be done yourself as Dimal said. Parts can be obtained at a good price from Coffee-A-Roma and it's pretty fun to work on the machine.
    Dimal, Javaphile, barlo and 2 others like this.

I believe you’re correct about the extra work they’re doing noidle22.
    I presume that the boiler replacement can be done without the need to replace the group seal and shower screen? I’d happily give the boiler replacement a go myself if it’s going to save big bucks.
    barlo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    and it's pretty fun to work on the machine.
    I agree. I'd give it ago yourself first. My V1 is going strong and working on it has given me a decent understanding of 'how stuff works.'
    Dimal likes this.

After having done a bit of reading I think I’ll give it a go.
    is this all I’ll need for replacing the boiler & element?

https://www.coffee-a-roma.com.au/sto...26_Gasket.html

Quote Originally Posted by goudgey View Post
    I presume that the boiler replacement can be done without the need to replace the group seal and shower screen?
    It certainly can be, I was just trying to make up some more time or parts to get somewhere near their $430 quote. The screens on most Silvias I see can be cleaned to pristine condition in Cafetto and don't require replacement, the seals usually last pretty well but if they are beginning to harden or there are cracks starting around the edge then it gets replaced.

After having done a bit of reading I think Iíll give it a go.
    is this all Iíll need for replacing the boiler & element?
    https://www.coffee-a-roma.com.au/sto...26_Gasket.html
    Yes that's the one. Also get a few copper washers for installing the OPV onto the new boiler, the washers seal the OPV onto the boiler and also set the position of the OPV in relation to the piping it attaches to. You'll need to trial and error combinations of washers to get it to tighten in the right place. Make sure it's about right before you do the final tightening as you can't reuse the washers without risk of leaking unless you anneal them. It is one of the more tricky parts of the job.

You'll have to call or email them for the washers as I don't think they're listed on their online store.
    Dimal, barlo, 338 and 1 others like this.

Great stuff noidle22, very helpful advice. I’ll be sure to follow it.
    Dimal likes this.

As suggested by others I believe that doing the work yourself with either a new boiler or buy another 2nd hand to cannibalise, is worth doing if the chassis is in good condition. If you had the usual rust I'd say no. While you are doing the work rust treat and paint (gal) the chassis or fish oil it (odourless) to make sure it stays that way.

I’ve managed to replace the boiler with one mishap and one leak issue.
    The mishap was the shearing of a small screw holding the temp sensor on top of the boiler.
    ive got a persistent leak at the bolt that has the earth wires connected to it. No matter how hard I tighten the leak persists at this location only.
    Any advice on addressing either of these issues?
    the good news is that the boiler now heats!

Iíve managed to replace the boiler with one mishap and one leak issue.
    The mishap was the shearing of a small screw holding the temp sensor on top of the boiler.
    ive got a persistent leak at the bolt that has the earth wires connected to it. No matter how hard I tighten the leak persists at this location only.
    Any advice on addressing either of these issues?
    the good news is that the boiler now heats!
    As long as the thermostat has good flat contact to the top of the boiler and you've applied new thermal grease, it'll probably be ok to use as is. You'd have to drill the snapped screw out or get an easyout into it, going to be a mission on a screw that small.

Regarding the leak, you probably pinched the seal when tightening everything down. You shouldn't need to tighten the bolts overly to get a good seal.
    It's also possible there's a chunk of scale or some other debris in the groove that the seal sits in that's causing it to not seat all the way in the groove properly. You'd need to disassemble and check.
    Dimal, barlo and goudgey like this.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    Regarding the leak, you probably pinched the seal when tightening everything down. You shouldn't need to tighten the bolts overly to get a good seal.
    It's also possible there's a chunk of scale or some other debris in the groove that the seal sits in that's causing it to not seat all the way in the groove properly. You'd need to disassemble and check.
    Thanks for the advice noidle. Leak is now fixed but I’ve got a very small leak from where the OPV attaches to the boiler. I’ll source some more washers and reattach. Is it worth putting plumbers tape on the thread before reinstalling?

lights on 2 of the 3 rocker switches have now stopped working so it looks like replacement switches will need to be ordered.