Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By benalla
  • 1 Post By MikeJab

Thread: V5 Silvia e question about temp surfing and gronk temp

V5 Silvia e question about temp surfing and gronk temp

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey coffee crew..
    New Silvia V5 owner.. so Iíve finally purchased a decent machine after owning a breville bes870.. which was not a bad machine, but this is a step up. Itís also a steep learning curve so sorry if these have been asked.
    Is temp surfing still very important on these newer machines?
    I added the gronk mod until I can PID it.. what temperature do most peeps aim for?
    ive done some reading, but please point me towards any other essential tips you might have.
    thanks

I had an old Sivlia for 10 years that I only ever had that mod on it - temp probe attached to boiler. Not so much temp surfing but certainly helped 'time' when to pull shots and steam milk. I can't remember temps sorry, but once you get your timing down, you should be able to produce the same standard of coffee on it than on any HX or dual boiler machine. Have fun.

Nice choice! I won a Silvia v3 nearly 10 years ago. Itís been the best. I havenít modded itís at all, I stressed about complicated temperature surfing at first but I donít bother these days. I just run water through the group head till the thermostat light turns on, then start making my shot. I do this for each shot so that the temperature will be the same when I pull the shot.

Also a word of warning - the Silvia is bullet proof except for the black frame. Be sure to take the drip tray after each use and carefully dry right down into the back corners. Mine rusted badly at the side joints of the frame after about 4 years. I dismantled it and got the frame sand blasted and powder coated. Itís been fine ever since because Iím a lot more rigorous about drying it after each use. The drip tray is so small you have to remove it regularly anyway but never leave any water in it when not in use.

Itís a steep learning curve but once you get confident and learn to be consistent it will be a breeze. It really does make beautiful coffee provided you match it to a decent grinder. I have the Breville smart grinder which has been great too.
    Dimal likes this.

Nice.
    Yeah so far so good, completely different to the breville though.
    Thanks for the tips..
    I find I use heaps of water in the little time I've had it, hoping a pid will stop me using as much..
    I got the sunbeam em0700 grinder.. not sure if it's any good, but so far seems alright to me
    Dimal likes this.