Thread: Silvia double spout giving uneven shots

Silvia double spout giving uneven shots

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, Im a first time poster, but long time reader.... this site has a wealth of good information but I cant find a definitive answer to my problem.

Ive just acquired a brand spanking new Rancilio Silvia from sponsor CosmoreX Coffee and Im managing to get some decent shots out of it but the problem I am having is that when I make a double shot into 2 cups the one under the left hand spout always ends up with less coffee in it *compared to the one under the right hand spout.

I am pretty sure I am tamping the coffee evenly (I have a decent tamper, better than the Rancilio supplied tamper, and have been checking the tamp is level), the kitchen bench top is level and there doesnt appear to be any restriction in the left hand spout.

Is there any thing else I should look into?

I read on some other site that an adjustable spout may be what I need to fix this problem for good, is the La Marzacco 511672-R (as available from Coffee Parts) a suitable replacement?? *

Is this is the solution to my problem???!?

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Re: Silvia double spout giving uneven shots

Hey letaage, i have the same problem.....sometimes, not always, my bench is level also, i have a pullman tamper and im tamping level, i thought it had something to do with my dosing, but the rocky doses into the left hand side of the PF, and thats the side that produces the bigger shot, so thats out......looking forward to suggestions also!
    cheers
    warren

This is a common problem with the Silvia, which many people have mentioned before.

Yes, you can use the CoffeeParts 511672-R, but it doesnít screw up flush against the bottom of the portafilter, and faces the wrong direction when tightened up (yes, I have tried this part on the Silvia). However you can fit a washer between the spout and portafilter and it then fits fine.

As I said, I did try that part, but I eventually went back to using the standard Silvia spout. To fix the problem I just raised the one side of the machine slightly. In my case I needed to raise the left side, but youíll need to raise the right side. Or another solution that Iíve read on here before is to file the inside of the spout to encourage more flow out the (in your case) left side.

regards,
    Bill

Mine is the same but I have learnt to live with it, if Im doing two singles I just remove one and top up the other near end of shot.

Thanks for the replies, I guess Ill have to try raising one side of the machine slightly.

I dont have the dexterity just yet to go the swicheroo with the cups with everything else thats going on when pulling a shot, and tilting the machine should also be a lot cheaper than an adjustable spout!

But if tilting the machine doesnt work I might have to look into an adjustable spout. And a washer to make it fit properly!

The spout cross hole on mine was drilled at a angle :( hence the uneven flo, attacked mine with a dremel, but it still needs a bit more to even it up.

sdg

Hi vicroamer,

did the "attack with the dremel" work in the end? I have the same problem, and an SO with a dremel, so would love to know...

Still havent finished it off, I have to borrow dremel again. It does work, just a matter of balancing the flow, do a couple of drippy test pours at the end to confirm flow is balanced.

Hi Letaage, I have had this problem before on commercial machines, i find that some spouts are not made even, level. All you need to do is file away on the side that is pouring less until it pours even. I have done this on a number of spouts and it works beautifully. You can also buy a universal spout and see if that is made more even. ;)

Cheers

Im eliminating this problem on my machine by getting a naked portafilter.

sdg

Are there any of our sponsors in Melbourne who supply a naked PF for Silvia?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by simone link=1204445637/0#10 date=1205157212
    Hi Simone,

Try Ofra and Renzo at DiBartoli. Even with postage, their naked p/f is one of the keenest priced and best finished in town. ;)

Option 2 is to grab an old Silvia group handle from one of the old Silvia suppliers in Melbourne and chop it down yourself.

Good luck!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by simone link=1204445637/0#10 date=1205157212
    Try Coffeeparts http://coffeeparts.com/accessories/nakedpf.html. One of our sponsors.