Thread: Sunbeam espresso makers a local phenomenon?

Sunbeam espresso makers a local phenomenon?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I tried looking for Sunbeam espresso makers on the US Sunbeam site out of curiosity and found none -- does Sunbeam only sell espresso machines in this part of the world?

When looking into buying a machine I was impressed with what the EM6910 did for the money. I wasnt entirely convinced though that all the manufacturing glitches had been ironed out (I saw minor flaws in display models) and I didnt really need the extras it offered over the Silvia (I seldom do more than 4 cappuccinos in a session, usually only 2) so I went with the classic and trusted design -- but once manufacturing is to a consistent standard, I dont see why it shouldnt do well in major markets.

Re: Sunbeam espresso makers a local phenomenon?

Good choice on the Silvia Phil, the Sunbeam is stacked with features for the price, but I chose Silvia because of build quality and components.
    My son has just purchased a 6910 which I recommended him to buy, he wanted a machine that could produce a coffee fairly quickly and easy to use, he is very happy with it so far and has been producing good espresso consistently. Fingers crossed he gets a good run out of it.

DONT USE

tried looking for Sunbeam espresso makers on the US Sunbeam site out of curiosity and found none -- does Sunbeam only sell espresso machines in this part of the world?
    these machines are made in china and i would suspect that the alloy boilers / thermoblocks do not meet the american / european food laws

graham

Quote Originally Posted by fix link=1210381377/0#2 date=1210388027
    i would suspect that the alloy boilers / thermoblocks do not meet the american / european food laws
    According to the Sunbeam specs they SS.

"Dedicated thermoblock heating systems lined with stainless steel - espresso and steam"

So there should be no problem with the alloy/food stuffs regulations ?
    Is there some part of the brew water path in alloy ?

Quote Originally Posted by Techo link=1210381377/0#3 date=1210417294
    So there should be no problem with the alloy/food stuffs regulations ?
    Maybe they are trialling the concept in a small market where they can get all the bugs out of the design at relatively low cost (generous warranty and replacements policy can work in that case to preserve goodwill, but you cant get away with that so easily in a big market)?

But aside from the 6910, Sunbeam have other espresso machines here and those dont appear either on the US site, which is what really had me puzzled. Conspiracy theories about substandard components notwithstanding, why would this market be big enough to bother with as a special case?

The Australian web site has a fair amount of company history which strongly hints at local design and R&D but I find it odd that a multinational would come up with a potentially strong-selling range for a small (in population) country and not try to adapt it to its bigger markets.

Australia is often used as a test and fine tuning market by the big multi-national companies for new products prior to their release on the US market. Witness the McCafe or McSpresso or what-ever it is that McDonalds calls their espresso bar thing. While theyve been in Oz for years now theyve just recently been putting in an appearance here in the US. They were announced with great fanfare last November or so and are only now showing up in many of their stores.

Sunbeam is probably waiting for the economy to improve in the US before they release the 6910 et al there. With the dollar tanking and the economy in the ditch now would not be a good time to release an expensive new product.

Java "Econ what?!" phile

Australia is often used as a test and fine tuning market by the big multi-national companies
    I agree javaphile car makers in particular use Oz for testing, my times have changed in years gone by the word in the street was that Australia was the dumping ground for obsolete stock and things they could not sell elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by vicroamer link=1210381377/0#6 date=1210538995
    ...my times have changed in years gone by the word in the street was that Australia was the dumping ground for obsolete stock and things they could not sell elsewhere.
    Like sub-standard air conditioners that dont meet the environmental laws of civilised countries.... Though, obviously, these can also be sold in the U.S. ;)

MDF comes to mind.