Thread: New silvia (2nd hand) old/leaky group seal

New silvia (2nd hand) old/leaky group seal

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

Got a new (2nd hand) Silvia (via the CS forums) yesterday. A major concern is the grouphead seal. The porta-filter needs to be twisted almost 180 degrees to the right, so the handle is between 5-10cm away from the steam wand. And even still if it is not forced right in fresh water leaks out from the sides and trickles down into the coffee. My other silvia (the one that is not moving house when I do) seals very easily and the handle doesnt even go 90 degrees - it still sticks out to the left of the machine. Please tell me if there is an easy way to fix this (a $5 rubber ring from coffeeparts!? fingers crossed).

Also, the power light (not the boiler light, just the little orange dot under the lightning bolt sign) doesnt work at all. I imagine this is a difficult fix? Its not a major problem, just an annoyance. Ah well.

Thanks for any input :)

Re: New silvia (2nd hand) old/leaky group seal

http://coffeeparts.com/rancilio/ran4.html

700151 - group head gasket 8mm - could this be the culprit? If so my guess at $5 was amazingly spot on :)

1. Is this the cause?
    2. Has anyone replaced the gasket, and if so could they offer any tips, or point me in the right direction as to how to take it all apart and put it back together again?

Also if anyone knows about the little light that would be great.

Cheers!
    Andrew

Thats the part you want. *Dont forget to pick up one of the spacers as well - itll blow the $5 budget but save you some grief. *Ive just replaced a seal after only a few weeks when the last one went in without a spacer - apparently the new seals are a little thinner or something along those lines. *

Start by backflushing the Silvia, then turn off the power and pull the plug. *Remove the tank and drip tray. Tip Silvia upside down and remove the shower screen and disperser. The easy way to get the seal off is to use a screw deep into the seal (we used a picture screw with the loop on the end), this gives you something to grip on to, once you get one side up the rest is easy.

Have the plastic scourer ready to clean under the seal - this will take a while but wont have to be done again until next time you change the seal.....

While youre cleaning, soak the new seal in very hot water to soften it a little. *Put the spacer on, push it down as best you can, then manouver the seal onto the group. Push it as far down as you can, then put the PF in to help work it into place. *Go back to pushing the seal down with a wooden spoon or plastic spatula, then use the PF again. *

THIS BIT SAVES A LOT OF TIME AND SWEARING. Once you can lock the PF into place even the smallest little bit, turn Silvia upright, put the water tank and drip tray back and switch her on. *Using the crappiest coffee you have, fill the PF and lock it in as far as you can. Put a bowl or glass under and, making sure you have hold of the PF, hit the brew switch and hang on. *The pressure of the water against the coffee forces the seal into place. Turn it off, tighten the PF, turn it on again, until you cant move it any further to the right.

And thats it - there are other ways of changing the seal, Im sure, but that works for me. :)

Cant help with the light, perhaps speak to Pedro at Coffeeparts.

Quote Originally Posted by Viviane link=1211610741/0#2 date=1211724732
    Thats the part you want. Dont forget to pick up one of the spacers as well - itll blow the $5 budget but save you some grief. Ive just replaced a seal after only a few weeks when the last one went in without a spacer - apparently the new seals are a little thinner or something along those lines.

Start by backflushing the Silvia, then turn off the power and pull the plug. Remove the tank and drip tray. Tip Silvia upside down and remove the shower screen and disperser. The easy way to get the seal off is to use a screw deep into the seal (we used a picture screw with the loop on the end), this gives you something to grip on to, once you get one side up the rest is easy.

Have the plastic scourer ready to clean under the seal - this will take a while but wont have to be done again until next time you change the seal.....

While youre cleaning, soak the new seal in very hot water to soften it a little. Put the spacer on, push it down as best you can, then manouver the seal onto the group. Push it as far down as you can, then put the PF in to help work it into place. Go back to pushing the seal down with a wooden spoon or plastic spatula, then use the PF again.

THIS BIT SAVES A LOT OF TIME AND SWEARING. Once you can lock the PF into place even the smallest little bit, turn Silvia upright, put the water tank and drip tray back and switch her on. Using the crappiest coffee you have, fill the PF and lock it in as far as you can. Put a bowl or glass under and, making sure you have hold of the PF, hit the brew switch and hang on. The pressure of the water against the coffee forces the seal into place. Turn it off, tighten the PF, turn it on again, until you cant move it any further to the right.

And thats it - there are other ways of changing the seal, Im sure, but that works for me. :)

Cant help with the light, perhaps speak to Pedro at Coffeeparts.

Thank you so much Viviane! What a fanstastic description. Ill be sure to get the spacer as well. The screw into the rubber sounds like a great idea... I get the feeling it aint going to be easy.. But great directions! When I use the coffee to help force the seal in, do I put the showerscreen and disperser on first?

Thanks Andrew. :)

Yep, I left out replacing the shower screen and disperser. I dont think its enormously difficult but the lack of room to manouver makes it a very fiddly job, especially when you have all that shiny metal that you dont want to ding or scratch.

Brilliant, it seems like its a good idea to replace it every now and then just to clean it out... after all, its only $7! Thats two soy frappacinos :{

Ive ordered the new gasket and spacer and will post some photos if I can of my installation. The bit about avoiding swearing is awesome hahaha

Well, thanks to Vivianes excellent instructions I have fixed the leaky gasket! The old gasket had a seriously deep groove from the PF and was starting to crack and go a bit gooey... It wasnt difficult at all and gives you an opportunity to clean away some more coffee residue.

I really recommend this small and cheap maintenance job to every Silvia owner :)

especially those whose porta filter is twisting beyond 6 oclock - mine used to go to about 4 oclock and now wont go past seven thirty. looks much healthier now!

The new seal and spacer cost a grand total of $6.20 8-) and the job took about 15 minutes.

Ive made a note of this for when I need to replace my seal, had machine for 11 months now, still seems in good condition....................