Thread: Advice on a new machine

Advice on a new machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

Ive never really had a reason to post much, but have just had a friend ask me for some advice. *I have converted her to the idea of decent coffee prepared at home. *I have a PID equipped Silvia and a Rocky (thanks to Talk Coffee and Cosmorex). *This is a great combo for me as I am the only coffee drinker in our house. *It does however struggle with preparing more than *a couple of milk based coffees at once.

The advice I am after is this. *My friend is after a coffee setup which can produce coffee like Rocky/Silvia but has the following criteria (quoted from her email):

Budget $1,000-1500
    Quality: *Was thinking of De Longhi or something equiv
    Ease of use: *I am a barista numpty so easy, but will take your advice. *Would like something that is easy to clean.
    Will need to make at least two at one go and will use for dinner parties.
    Coffee has to be as good as yours was thinking of using the same coffee as you have sourced

I dont think my friend will be roasting her own from CS green beans like I do, but I will recommend she buy from CS Brown. *

For the machines, I was thinking something like a Rocky for the grinder, and maybe a cheaper HX or a double boiler machine.

Id appreciate your advice O wise CSers.

Re: Advice on a new machine

I dont think you will get a HX machine in that price bracket if youre looking to get a Rocky as well. I believe the cheapest HX machine would be about $1300-$1400 for the Nuova Simonelli Oscar... Up the price bracket a bit, maybe?

Thanks NTE,
    Ill have a chat to my friend. * *I reckon a HX machine would suit her lifestyle - she entertains quite a bit. Shes down in Canberra in a couple of weeks time so I might send her off to CosmoreX for a bit of a chat. Ive found the guys there to be very good with their advice.

Any of the sponsors based on the Sunshine Coast?

Cheers
    Rick

Site Sponsor

Rick,

CS sponsor in Sunshine Coast is Jason from Pioneer Coffee Roastery.

Regards

Renzo

Thanks Renzo,
    Ill pass it on. My friend lives in Coolum - pretty close to Pioneer.
    Cheers
    Rick

Hi Kahawa,
    I recently purchased a VBM Levetta and an Ascaso i mini grinder from talk coffee. In terms of what your friend is looking for my set up certainly does the job. It is not an HX machine so I have a small wait (60 - 90 secs) between pulling the shot and heating the steam to texture the milk. However, this is not a major issue. The other day I pulled 2 double shots (4 coffees), then textured the milk in a litre jug..... 4 milk coffees in no time, all hot and I could sit down to drink them with my friends. I had a similar budget to your friend. I admit my grinder is the starting level so if she wanted something a little up the grade then the budget would change.
    Chris at talk coffee is in melbourne but transports all over. I am sure the other sponsors on this site would also be able to assist. I can only strongly encourage your friend to have a look at the machines and try before she buys. But for my 2 bobs worth, the VBM is a winner for that budget

Cheers
    Crowie

Hi Crowie,

Thanks for the tips. My friend is investigating her options. I have pointed her to a few of our sponsors and left it up to her. I think she is a bit intimidated by the options available, but I am hoping she makes a good choice and becomes a fellow CSer.

I bought my PID for the Silvia from Chris and his service was excellent. I have recommended him to my friend.

Next - to get her into home roasting!

Cheers
    Kahawa