Thread: Silvia OPV mod discussion

Silvia OPV mod discussion

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    once the pressures right you dont need to touch it and the adjustable one just makes it easier to correct if its out in the first place. But if necessary the non-adjustable ones are still adjustable, just not as easily
    Agreed but I have seen a post where modded OPVs have *leaked the pressure from the hot boiler back to the tank, which was why I suggested the adjustable OPV, to be a safer bet IMO, OP can do a search to satisfy self.
    Update heres a couple links which may help.
    http://www.pidkits.com/opv.html
    http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...essureMod.html
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1161407746/14
    Adjustable OPV was introduced prior to plastic surround BTW.

Re: WTB -  Rancilio Silvia

Quote Originally Posted by vicroamer link=1213434049/0#8 date=1213495365
    Agreed but I have seen a post where modded OPVs have leaked the pressure from the hot boiler back to the tank
    Theres no logical or physical reason why modding the old type OPV would cause this vr, more than likely the OPV was faulty to begin with as this mod has been performed satisfactorily by literally thousands of Silvia owners over the years....

Mal.

Re: WTB - *Rancilio Silvia

Quote Originally Posted by tourboss link=1213434049/0#0 date=1213434049
    I started to work out how much Ive been paying for "the habit" and pure common sense dictates that a machine would be cheaper. (and more fun?)

Thanks
    Barry
    That is how I started the coffee snobbery journey. I figured getting a coffee machine (a Gaggia Carezza second hand to start with) and a basic grinder would get me coffee as good or better than buying coffee and calculated that after 6 months it would have paid for itself. A year and a bit later now looking back at what Ive spent (upgraded pretty much everything else since) and started home roasting too, at last count I think it was going to take a good few years to break even IF I DONT SPEND ANY MORE (which realistically isnt going to happen), so that cost justification goes out the door....
    BUT....
    The coffee is WAY better than anything the average cafe serves, having a LOT of fun making your own coffee and EVEN MORE fun roasting the many varieties of beans that are available!

Re: WTB -  Rancilio Silvia

Theres no logical or physical reason why modding the old type OPV would cause this vr, more than likely the OPV was faulty to begin with as this mod has been performed satisfactorily by literally thousands of Silvia owners over the years....
    Yep Maybe the plunger wasnt seating correctly or then again the spring might have been on its limit after packing the seat out with washers whatever the reason it was posted and I thought it could be of interest if one is contemplating the mod.