Thread: Mid range machine for mostly milk based drinks

Mid range machine for mostly milk based drinks

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Just wondering if you could suggest a good machine for mostly milk based espresso based drinks that also can do 6-8 drinks without to much hassle. I like the Silvia but from reading through the forums it seems to be a bit of a chore to do multiple coffees?

Is the Sunbeam 6910 a machine that would do this ok? Or is the Vibiemme Domobar Levetta a better choice but is it 2 times as good?

Re: Mid range machine for mostly milk based drinks

Hey Astro,

Whilst it may be possible to do 6-8 milk based coffees in a row with a Levetta (pouring all the shots then steaming the milk), its not ideal. And, being a single boiler machine, switching back and forth from brew temp to steam temp is also not ideal (it would require time to settle back down to brew temp after steaming).

So, whilst the Levetta may be twice as good (in build quality, group head, large boiler, etc) than the 6910, the Sunbeam would have the advantage in being able to do multiple milk based drinks, having a separate thermoblock dedicated to steaming (if you dont mind the potential problems with quality of build and components). In this capacity, the 6910 is pretty much unmatched at its price.

Otherwise, if you want a good quality machine and if being able to make this volume of milk based coffees on a regular basis is important to you, you may need to consider a HX machine ($1500 plus). Also keep in mind that a quick, good quality grinder would also be preferable in doing this amount of coffee.

I recently had a week of making multiple coffees with my Lelit combi (having taken it away on a holiday). Found it difficult and frustrating due to the relatively slow and doserless (Lux) grinder and limitations of the single boiler. Im lucky that doesnt happen too often, and it does a good job for 2-3 at a time, but Im thinking of a HX down the track.

Just my 2 cents worth.

The Levetta is a much better machine (it will easily outlast the sunbeam) but it has a single (large) boiler so its like a Silvia but can steam much greater quantities.

The 6910 has independent steaming capabilities via a thermoblock so you dont have to pour all your shots first or wait to steam the milk. It will do what you want it to but it wont give you the quality of the Levetta or the shelf-life.

sd

What GregJW said above...beat me to the post button. :)

Quote Originally Posted by GregJW link=1214177297/0#1 date=1214180228
    Hey Astro,

Whilst it may be possible to do 6-8 milk based coffees in a row with a Levetta (pouring all the shots then steaming the milk), its not ideal. And, being a single boiler machine, switching back and forth from brew temp to steam temp is also not ideal (it would require time to settle back down to brew temp after steaming).

So, whilst the Levetta may be twice as good (in build quality, group head, large boiler, etc) than the 6910, the Sunbeam would have the advantage in being able to do multiple milk based drinks, having a separate thermoblock dedicated to steaming (if you dont mind the potential problems with quality of build and components). In this capacity, the 6910 is pretty much unmatched at its price.

Otherwise, if you want a good quality machine and if being able to make this volume of milk based coffees on a regular basis is important to you, you may need to consider a HX machine ($1500 plus). Also keep in mind that a quick, good quality grinder would also be preferable in doing this amount of coffee.

I recently had a week of making multiple coffees with my Lelit combi (having taken it away on a holiday). Found it difficult and frustrating due to the relatively slow and doserless (Lux) grinder and limitations of the single boiler. Im lucky that doesnt happen too often, and it does a good job for 2-3 at a time, but Im thinking of a HX down the track.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    As I am fairly new to this what are some of the low range HX machines that I should consider?

Check out this thread on all machines-

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163234999;start=all

or check the Brewing Equipment $1500-$3000 area on this site.

The Nuova Simonelli Oscar is regarded as a good entry level HX machine (I think abt $1500, try site sponsor Veneziano). Site Sponsor Barazi may also have some good deals on some "run-out" Bezzeras. Otherwise there are dozens (mostly $2000-$2600 range) to consider.

Good luck.

i think at the lower end of the HX machines there is also the Expobar Office semi-automatic (no touchpad / volumetrics)

IIRC its a leetle bit more than the Oscar although it does have a hot water tap too, which is handy.

or you could go second hand heat exchanger, some support sites have them on their pages (like barazi IIRC)

aaron