Thread: Rancilio Silvia - Not Heating

Rancilio Silvia - Not Heating

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

My Rancilio Silvia is not heating up anymore. Ive tried the reset button without any joy so I imagine I need to get this serviced professionally.

Im just wondering if anyone can recommend somebody that can service espresso machines on the Central Coast in NSW?

Id also like to find someone that can adjust the pressure of the machine as per these postings:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Modifying_Miss_Silvia
    http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/m4tt5mith/SilviaPressureMod.html

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Re: Rancilio Silvia - Not Heating

You may have broken your heating element which depending on your machine new or old model you may have to replace the whole boiler :( .

One of the site sponsors will be in sydney no doubt, may have to post it in and get it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarg link=1217156240/0#1 date=1217156610
    You may have broken your heating element which depending on your machine new or old model you may have to replace the whole boiler :( .

I hope not; not sure that Ive done anything that would break the heating element. It worked one day and then the next it didnt heat up.

What sort of price is a new boiler assuming that is the case though? Roughly...

TC

Quote Originally Posted by enigmatic link=1217156240/0#2 date=1217157986
    What sort of price is a new boiler assuming that is the case though? Roughly...
    Big bucks....You may well have a $300+ job unless your machine is an older model with a replacable element or there is someone up your way who can tap a new element into the boiler.

Generally, unless the machine is old, elements fail if you leave the steam button switched on and have a red hot element in an empty boiler. Silvia boilers should be primed by running water through the steam wand after texturing milk. This cools and protects the element whilst refilling the boiler...

Chris

I think Di Bartoli Coffee Centre in Bondi Junction would be the closest
    You can always give them a call and ask for advice?

KK

Before taking it in for boiler surgery, maybe give this a look and let us know what you find: http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/312139

Jim

Ive had my machine for 2.5 - 3 years and bought it 2nd hand so it is probably around 4 - 5 years old (would have to dig out the manual to be 100%).

When I last used the espresso, I made a coffee and then cleaned down the machine afterwards. There was water in the reservoir so Im assuming that whatever is wrong is fair wear and tear.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Enigmatic,

Your comment about the reservoir being full has prompted this reply but please ignore it, if Im explaining what you already know.

The reservoir and the boiler are two different things and a full reservoir does not mean a full boiler.

When you activate the brew switch or the hot water switch, you hear the pump working and will see a flow of water either through the brew head or the steam wand [provided the valve is open]

So what is happening is that the pump is pumping water from the reservoir, into the boiler and pushing out hot water.
    So whilst these actions are drawing water from the boiler they are also filling it at the same time.

When you steam, there is no need for the pump because of the built up pressure, so the boiler empties and is not refilled.

This is what Chris is eluding to: always "prime" the boiler after steaming.

This means run either the brew switch or the hot water switch until you see a flow of water.
    You will notice a delay [depending on how much steaming you have done] since the boiler will need to fill up again before it will produce water.

The priming action has other uses, it can be used to clean the milk from insides of the wand and/or also clean and speed up the cooling down of the the group so you can pull your next espresso.

Good luck with the repair, from your description, I think you have an older Silvia so hopefully, if it is burnt out element it wont be too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1217156240/0#4 date=1217163231
    I think Di Bartoli Coffee Centre in Bondi Junction would be the closest
    You can always give them a call and ask for advice?

KK
    Ill have a go tomorrow although Bondi isnt ideal. Sydney CBD is closer for me. Im wracking my brains trying to remember the name of the coffee shop on Pacific Highway. I think it was round Pymble but cant remember. Im driving into the CBD on Thurs so will try and find out.

Cheers,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by reubster link=1217156240/0#7 date=1217201947
    Your comment about the reservoir being full has prompted this reply but please ignore it, *if Im explaining what you already know.
    <snip>
    Good luck with the repair, from your description, I think you have an older Silvia so hopefully, if it is burnt out element it wont be too expensive.
    Thanks. I actually gave the original comment some thought and it did make sense and I better understand it with your response as well.

I worked out the shop was Sibonis and fired off an email which Dean has already replied to.

I have to say I really appreciate the help on this forum - it is much better than Ive received on another forum that I wont be returning to.

Ive now taken the machine to Tony Wand who is in Newcastle. He tested it with a multimeter and confirmed that the element has gone.

Fingers crossed, I should have the machine back in 1-2 weeks as good as new.