Thread: Sunbeam 6910 and dose amount

Sunbeam 6910 and dose amount

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I looked for previous posts on this topic but couldnt find any (probably blind)
    Anyway, I have been enjoying my new 6910 combined with the Challenge grinder that I purchased 2nd hand from a very helpful CSer.

My question/issue is that my 6910 has started to change the amount of water it passes through for a single dose (not using the manual button). It previously seemed to be around the 30ml level, but lately its been around 50ml or so. I havent measured it but its so much greater than 30ml its obvious.

Before I go and adjust the amount through the programming, I am just wondering if this change is a portend to other not so good things happening. Has anyone else experienced this with their 6910?

Also, just to give a context, the machine has only made around 30 coffees as I only use it on the weekends due to early working day starts.

thanks,
    Justin

Re: Sunbeam 6910 and dose amount

Sorry Justin Ive only ever used the manual button.

Over how long have you noticed this change?

My first guess would be that the coffee is staler than it was and that will cause a faster pour.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1217992744/0#1 date=1217994801
    Sorry Justin Ive only ever used the manual button.

Over how long have you noticed this change?

My first guess would be that the coffee is staler than it was and that will cause a faster pour.
    It only started last weekend. The coffee I used was just ground (Cuban something from The Coffee Company [excellent]) that I had purchased in the morning. I also got the same pressure (as previous) and a good pour (at least to my eyes).

Also, I thought the single dose setting was not time but volume dependant - is this the case?

Im not 100% sure but the instruction manual says volume, however if you choke the machine it eventually cuts out as if it thinks it has done 240ml (max).

There are too many variables in your scenario to be sure.
    Was it the first shot from that bag of beans?
    Have you used the same beans before?
    Are you sure the grind setting was identical?

Id be ringing Sunbeam and running it past them.

Maybe a call is in order. *:-/

The beans are the same as I used previously and I had only adjusted my grind slightly finer prior to using.

I think, also, the 240ml is when using the "manual" button. I didnt think it applied to the single dose button.

The pour was from the first and second shot from the new bag of beans. (I havent done any more)

I have only had my 6910 for a couple of weeks but on the dose buttons I have only noticed minimal difference depending on the bean. And I mean 1-4 mls variation at most. I only use fresh beans roasted within days of use.

Site Sponsor

Hey there JustinD,

I deal a lot with home and office machines. All of the big names in the small end of the market and I cant begin to tell you how many in the last year I would have had to reset to the desired level. I also have the 6900 in my kitchen. I generally find that at some point or another the dosage will go out of whack. There is no reasonable explanation to this. It comes down to a general malfunction within the computers used in these small end machines. There is probably nothing to worry about! I would suggest you use the programming to reset the pour to your desired level ie. 30ml and watch it from there. However if this is to keep happening give Sunbeam a call as it could be an ongoing problem.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Justin the 240ml comment was to point out an observation of mine as to the way it works as opposed to way the book says it works.

Maybe you should reset it to the default settings for now and just keep an eye on it.

See page 20 of the Instruction Booklet for how to reset to default.

thanks for the comments. I will reset the little unit. I totally forgot that I could do this (or more, it just didnt occur to me). If It still happens I will report back here.

Justin, you can use the program button to set the amount of extraction. Once you set the amount then you can start working out Tamp pressure,grind courseness as Thundergod said there are many variables.
    You must eliminate one thing at a time.

Maybe you should do a single dose shot with no grounds in the PF and measure how much water is being passed.
    In my experience the volume of coffee espressed by the single, double and manual buttons is only related to the tamp and appears to be on a timer circuit not a volume measure despite what the manual says.

So you agree with my observations.

I agree with you Thundergod. I myself use the manual button and just go by eye.

I dont disagree with Thundergod.
    Also, I did the Sunbeam class thing and we only used manual. I just like to use the single dose button while I am heating the milk.

I havent adjusted things yet.