Thread: Espresso Machines

RIC

Espresso Machines

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I am a new member who would appreciate some feedback or suggestions as to a good expresso machine for domestic purposes only. I have no knowledge as to expresso machines or grinders.
    I like the aesthetic of the Isomac SuperGiada.
    As for expenditure - I guess anything up to $1200.00AU. The Isomac I have cited below retails at C. $650-$750.
    The other criteria is that it be a relatively user friendly machine.

Does any member have experience with regard to the following:

"Isomac SuperGiada Espresso Coffee Machine
    Includes a fold-in manometer and a holder in stainless steel. You get your steam quickly and the steam spout holds a high pressure. There is also a manometer for the pressure of the boiler".

"Isomac Macinino Prof Inox Coffee Grinder
    Grind with the handle by pressing the black button at the front".

Thanks for your anticipated response.
    RIC

Re: Espresso Machines

RIC welcome to Coffee Snobs.

Youd better tell us your budget or else youll get swamped with suggestions that you cant afford.

Being snobs, our opinions regarding good "for domestic purposes only" may surprise you.

Welcome to CS Ric.
    The key to good espresso is a good grinder, make sure you get a quality grinder and then a machine with the remainder of your budget.
    Im sure you will get plenty of assistance on choosing from the vast array of grinders and espresso machines from fellow CS members.

Mate, i have a little cheap isomac of my own, for what they are, they are a great starting point, will keep you interested for quite some time, but alas the inevitable upgradeitis will eventually grab you by the wallet and shake the living s--t out of it. mwha ha ha ha ha ha... we are here to help you mate just remember to put a little more emphasis on the grinder than the espresso machine. The granmachinino will serve you well though....... Ray

RIC

Thanks for the info. Thundergod, greenman & Ray C.
    I have a clear message here that the Grinder is the all important consideration for the novice.
    Would appreciate any further info. regarding my posting of the 16th Aug08.
    Thanks again,
    RIC.

$1200 for the espresso machine puts you directly in line for the VBM Levetta--a great machine!
    If the $1200 includes the grinder--then go for a $400-$1000 grinder, and a cheaper machine until the rest of the VBM price comes in.
    Greg

Hi Ric and welcome.

As the others have pointed out...grinder, grinder, grinder.

When you start off in searching for consistently better coffee than you have when you go out, you cannot believe that the grinder is SO important...but it is. *If your talking a spend of over a grand for the machine, I would suggest that you should have as a minimum the Rancilio Rocky; or you could go higher in the chain - to a Mazzer Mini or similar in the Compak range or Macap - can I suggest that you speak to Chris from Talk Coffee (see left of screen) and he will make sure you get whats best for you. *If you like the size and need extra speed you could go for a Mazzer Super Jolly, or big Macaps/Kompacs etc - ie true commercial grinders.

As for machine, have a chat to Chris. *You will need to have in mind whats important first - multiple milk coffees, how many you normally serve with it, whether the straight espresso is most important and milk based is not so important (or other way around), aesthetics, size, power consumption, plumbed in or not, etc.

Cheers

TC

Hi Ric,

I concur with the others in that the VBM Domobar Levetta presents a compelling case in the circa $1.2k zone. The only issue is that we are unsure if you have a separate grinder budget??

Given a choice, Id like to see the Levetta with something like a Compak K3T, but you will need to find some extra $$$ behind the lounge cushions for the grinder ;). I guess that you might pair the machine with the Ascaso i-mini, but whereas you will be able to keep the K3T as long as you like Id reckon the upgraditis bug will get you soon if you head down the Ascaso pathway. Its a great little grinder, but I personally consider it more of an "appliance".

FWIW, we have the *Levetta/K3T combo on special this month and have a couple left....

regards

Chris

RIC

Thankyou all for the detailed information.
    In regard to budget I was thinking of $1200AU all up (ie. grinder & expresso machine).
    Any further info would be appreciated.
    RIC

Quote Originally Posted by RIC link=1218861887/0#8 date=1219059600
    Thankyou all for the detailed information.
    In regard to budget I was thinking of $1200AU all up (ie. grinder & expresso machine).
    Any other info would be appreciated.
    RIC
    Hi RIC,

Answering your question depends on what kind of coffees you drink and how many make at a time. If youre only making a couple at a time then a Silvia matched with a Compak K3T would be a great combo that might squeeze into that budget (or just over ;)). Alternatively, you could spend $700+ on a Mazzer Mini or Macap M4 grinder and look for a second hand Silvia.

It really depends on your specific needs. If you need to make a few milk based drinks at a time then the Silvia might not be the best choice.

More info will get you better advice.

Cheers,

sd