Thread: New member with a modded Gaggia Classic

New member with a modded Gaggia Classic

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

My first post here but I have been reading for a while now, here is a bit of list of my current setup and couple of questions.

I love my coffee and I have taken the approach of trying to start with a decent equipment level and start from there so I can eliminate some of the variables and work on the biggest vairable, ME!

My setup is as follows:

Gaggia Classic with Silvia steam wand, opv mod (Set to 120ml in 30 sec) and a pid.

I have a rocky doserless grinder as well.

I have been hopeless with the single basket but having more success with the double.

My grinder is set on 13 for the coffee I am using and I can get a decent pour of coffee that takes about 5 seconds to start and lasts about 35-30 seconds and produces a decent crema and tastes ok but could be a lot better.

I have a stainless tamp and I am working on my consistantcy, I try to dose 14 grams into the double basket and keep that consistant too. I am only using over the counter beans from the likes of Grinders coffee.

I am keeping my coffee in a dark dry area and airtight.

My question is, is sticking to 14g of coffee the way to go or is there a better way to dose the gaggia?

Is there a place in Melbourne that supplies different beans that would be better?

Thanks for any help,

Dean.

Re: New member with a modded Gaggia Classic

Hi Dean and welcome to CS!

Sounds like the only problem you have is the coffee youre using - it will be ultra-stale before you buy it, and though youre storage methods are fine, theres not much point when using Grinders.

There are heaps of places in Melbourne to buy freshly roasted coffee, particularly from BrownBay on the left of the screen for mail order and Veneziano have a shopfront in Melbourne.

Scroll down the left-hand side and you wont find it difficult to identify other Sponsor roasters wholl be able to supply you as well. Give each a try and youll have enough variety to last you a lifetime!

Cheers!

Thanks for taking the time to reply mate, I will try some bean from BrownBay for a start.

Just thought I would follow up, I called into Veneziano yesterday and picked up some Estate beans. *Also got a couple of tips for dosing the PF and boy what a difference it has made.

I had to make a small adjustment to the grinder and by the third shot I pulled, the coffee was coming out like a syrup and and the amount of crema is something I have not been able to come close to until now.

Thanks for the advice, it has made a big difference. *To any other new comers out there, the beans really can make all the difference!