Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: em6910 free grinder offer - waiting time?

em6910 free grinder offer - waiting time?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

Just wondering how long it should take to receive the free Sunbeam grinder with the recent offer that was available on the purchase of the EM6910? Is it really 8-10 weeks? Anyone received it earlier? Thanks!!!

Cant wait!

:)

Re: em6910 free grinder offer - waiting time?

When I took this up - last year - it was about three weeks.

Hi Ampia,

I sent my redemption form in around the 26th of August and Im still waiting.

What date did you send your form in?

I must say the wait is killing me, Im using supermarket pre-ground with the dual floor baskets. I just cant wait to see how much a difference freshly roasted coffee in the proper baskets tastes like. I think its going to be like going from a black and white television to HD with surround sound.

-ACog

took 3-4 weeks ish for me. when i rang sunbeam to get the rubber spout tip sent to me the customer support girl was surprised at how swiftly itd arrived.

Thanks ACog, I sent mine in around the start of September, so I guess Ill be waiting a few more weeks...

I had some coffee ground for me, but it was too coarse, and I havent bothered to get more, hoping that the grinder would come sooner than later. So Ive just been making hot chocolates for everyone else in the meantime. Really cant wait to get into it!

I sent off for mine on 26 August and it still has not arrived. I fired off an e-mail / webform query to Sunbeam to find out if they had an ETA, but have not received a response yet (its only been a couple of hours)

I was buying some fresh coffee yesterday and had the boys give me a couple of various grinds. While they were doing that, we talked about grinders. They say they now recommend the 0480 as the "default" grinder for most of their customers. Apparently they were trying to source a few units and found that there is a shortage at the moment. Perhaps Sunbeam are waiting for a container to arrive from China. ;-)

Hi peteru,

Do I understand correctly...you have a roaster who recommends Sunbeam for grinders? :o

Maybe Sunbeams grinder manufacturer has shut shop and not told them? * ::)

Wouldnt be the first time its happened this year. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by cuppacoffee link=1222745280/0#6 date=1222850491
    Do I understand correctly...you have a roaster who recommends Sunbeam for grinders? *:o
    Kind of. The Sunbeam is the "default" (or perhaps base model, is a more accurate term) grinder. Its an easy way of getting people across the line and grinding at home instead of buying vacuum packed pre-ground. They also encourage customers to buy smaller quantities and come in more often.

[QUOTE=peteru link=1222745280/0#7 date=1222851568
    Kind of. The Sunbeam is the "default" (or perhaps base model, is a more accurate term) grinder. Its an easy way of getting people across the line and grinding at home instead of buying vacuum packed pre-ground. They also encourage customers to buy smaller quantities and come in more often.
    [/QUOTE]

Re the grinder, I guess thats one way of looking at it...depends on whether they also tell people what happens when they cross that line.

Ouch *:o. I guess the name of this forum is "CoffeeSnobs"... *;) Please explain.

As far as Im concerned there is nothing wrong with the grinder, given the price off the shelf or the price you dont end up paying when bundled. Grinder is based on a Lux conical burr set and coffee techies that have ripped it apart and have given it a thorough look-over have mostly given it a thumbs up in reviews (at least from what I have read). At the end of the day it offers very good grind quality CONSIDERING upfront cost. My morning coffees are no where near what they used to be. Thank you Sunbeam grinder. Upgradeitus will probably set in if youre in pursuit of the elusive god shot but I would think that for most mortals using it is a big step up from buying preground at supermarket. Longevity, well I cant comment. Time will tell...

Were all Snobs here Buschy...even you!

If price is the decision maker, then youre right, theres nothing wrong with the grinder. The same argument would stand true for a $20 helicopter spice grinder. As for not paying" for what is bundled, well, stop and think for a moment, and you will come to realise that nothing worthwhile is genuinely free. I do agree though - it is an enormous step up from pre-ground.

What I was getting at, and tell my customers, is that the SB will do an ok job. I also inform people there is a significant difference that is well worth the money, if they can afford a better grinder. I also suggest that they make this investment before they go out and buy an expensive tamper, a cool looking milk jug, etc. as upgrades often cost more in the long run.

Have only had people thank me for that.

Me, a snob...? Perhaps a little... ::) Fancy accessories listed were gifts from various family members who discovered how much better the coffee has tasted since the Sunbeam *:). Some day Ill be able to comment on how much better coffee is with a more expensive grinder that I end up purchasing myself. Will perform a cost/benefit analysis....
    Firm believer that the Sunbeam is a decent entry level grinder that will make the path to drinking good coffee a little easier. Did with me. Cheers.

And judging by your kit, your family clearly love you Buschy!

Cheers!

Right. I got a very terse reply from a Consumer Service Representative at Sunbeam. This is the one liner they sent me:

It is stated on the terms and conditions of the application form that delivery will be between eight to ten weeks.
    I was almost expecting to find a second line that said: "So stop bothering us." * :o

Its been five weeks, which means that the wait should be half over by now. 8-)

Even though the wait is killing me, I figure theres no point in contacting them until the 8 to 10 weeks is up.

Mine arrived this morning. :D

Off to buy some fresh beans...

Boing! Boing!

A quick trip up the hill and three double shots of Yirgacheffe later, I can say that settings 11 and 12 on my grinder are too fine and 14 results in underextraction. It looks like it will have to be 13 (to be confirmed), unless I need to vary my dosage.

13 was the number I mostly used when I was using my Sunbeam but as numbers are relative youll just have to work it out for yourself.

Luckily you seem to have narrowed it down rather quickly.

The problem you might run across is that you end up needing 12.5.
    In which case all that is left is to vary the dose.

...or apply Sambos stepless mod ;)

m@,
    Do you have a link for that thread? I did some searches on it, but came up empty.

Ah, theres hope then: I posted away for mine about 1.5 weeks after you did, Peteru, so hopefully that means mine will turn up shortly-ish also!

My new double spout turned up on Wednesday at long last so the machine now works like a dream again! 8-)

Woohoo! Mine arrived today. Posted the redemption form on the 26th of August, received 13th of October.

So chuffed!

Waiting, still waiting, still waiting...

*sigh*

Cant be too far away now, surely!

[smiley=sad.gif]

Ive also *posted mine around the same time, and Im still waiting for it.. *:(

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs Slips9! Dont feel afraid to post any questions you have about the 6910 or your grinder (when you finally get it) - the guys on here are a wealth of knowledge and Ive picked up a thing or two along the way that has helped me immeasurably.

Well have a competition - first to get their grinder wins (not sure what - probably the jealousy of the other person?) ;D

Hey Ampia or Slips9 - have you received your grinders yet?

Im tempted to fire an email off to Poppy to see if she can check and see where I am in the queue, but considering Im only just on the 8 week mark (sent off the form on Monday 8 September 2008), I thought Id give it just one more week until I bothered her - I dont want to become a serial pest to her and wear out my welcome.

hi Hoyks

No, still waiting. I did send an email to ensure that they received my redemption form, and they called back last week to say that they did. But they werent able to say when it would be shipped. Im in Melbourne - maybe theyre shipping state by state?

Nope, still havent received mine either. Mine was posted on the 5th. Ill give it another 2 weeks before I ask. Their promotion did say to allow 8-10 weeks for delivery.

In the meantime, Ive been practicing on supermarket coffee varieties. *:( *Although Ill probably have to start from the beginning again once Im grinding my own coffee ;D

Hi all, my first post but have been visiting for quite a long time.

Sunbeam Free Grinder offer is going the way Sony went last year with a free Playstation when you bought a large LCD.

Basically I am now in week 11 and instead of a grinder, received a short letter in the mail today to quote "Due to overwhelming demand ...... we are temporarily out of stock. We have placed an order for additional stock and you will receive your ......within the next few weeks" (Open ended timeline)

Given closing time for the offer was mid September, Sunbeam have known for 8 weeks exactly how many grinders they needed to fulfill their promise. This says a lot about how they view their customers (Mushrooms comes to mind) and more than likely an indicator of product quality. My em6910 is still in the box, as new and unused waithing for a grinder.

At this rate I will probably wait for the grinder to arrive and ebay/trading post the two of them as unwanted items and put the money towards a decent piece of equipment where the manufacturer has a little more regard for the customer, and more than likely a much better quality product. Given the exchange rate at the moment I could probably get more than I paid for the combo in any case, so I wont be out of pocket at least.

Cheers

Yep, just got the same letter today... Hope it arrives before the end of the year (and with a free bag of coffee beans too)!!!

Hi sabs101 and ampia,

Sorry to hear youve been waiting so long. I know, the wait is a killer, and I didnt wait nearly as long.

While everyone here (myself included) turn their nose up to supermarket pre-ground, I couldnt wait and subsisted on this using the double walled baskets until the grinder turned up. The coffee was pretty ordinary, but I had fun and I think it helped me practise dosing and tamping techniques as well as frothing milk.

sabs101, I can understand your frustration, but many of us here have had very positive experiences with sunbeams after sales service. Im sure once you get the grinder and break out the machine youll have a very positive experience. Sure does leave a bad taste in your mouth though, I can understand; almost as bad as stale coffee.

-ACog

Darn, I guess my letter will turn up in the next day or two, then. :(

Ive ended up cheating and buying a 0480 from Big W because I got utterly & thoroughly sick of using that piece of rubbish Breville Burr Grinder that I bought at the same time as the machine to tide me over. I sold that one to a guy at work last week (and didnt I feel guilty selling him such a piece of cr@p!) and I must say that Im now happy I did so. Even for a low end grinder, its made such a difference to my shots and how Im pulling them. I am now consistently getting a great coffee each and every time and each grind and tamp is regular, as opposed to the hit and miss job of the Breville.

It is worth the wait, guys, but I feel your frustration - and it cost me $180.00 to get over that frustration.

To be fair to Sunbeam, the offer ended in mid September, but that didnt mean (I think) that they had to have all the claim forms in by that date - I think you had an extra week or two to get the claim form in, so they probably still had them dribbling in until mid-October - I guess we were just the unlucky ones that hit that period after the main bulk had gone through.

On the whole, though, their customer service is second to none, in my opinion, I can forgive them this.

Funny thing just happened, I went to the Sunbeam website, filled in the contact form to ask how long "a few weeks" is in Sunbeam terminology (4, weeks, 4 months etc) pressed the submit button and received this message.."Sorry our server is experiencing unexpectedly high demand at the moment, please try again later" My message then simply disappeared (Obviously not into a grinder as they dont have any )

So it looks like sunbeam is having lots of unexpected and overwhelming demand events. My beef isnt the fact that the grinders are out of stock, but the cynical way they waited till my 10 weeks expired to tell me. I have a feeling that only a few grinders went out and that the bulk are yet to ship. Probably still being fast tracked in a Chinese factory as I type.

I spent 30 years in corporate work in Sydney and generally found that the frontline troops are excellent in most larger businesses and always let down by the higher paid types who come up with these marketing initiatives. I have also learnt that the best course of action for me personally in matters like these is to vote with my feet and change suppliers. Saves a lot of wasted time and emotional effort and in the longer term is more effective than complaining. Hence the decision to sell the combo while they are still new and not used. So rather than waiting around for Sunbeam to get its act together, I can be planning the purchase of the replacement.

An upgrade sooner than I planned, what a nice feeling. I must take the time to thank sunbeam for the chance to upgrade. :)

Cheers

Talk to the site sponsors.
    Their service is exceptional.

When I bought mine, the last time they had this promo, I bought the grinder at the same time and when the free one arrived, simply took that back for a refund. A bit roundabout, I know, but it meant I had the grinder from the get-go. So for those waiting, go into a reputable retailer - preferably the one where you bought the machine - and ask if theyll give you a full refund if you return a sealed, unopened unit in "a few weeks".
    Good luck.

Same letter yesterday fro me as well.

Just have to now wait.. Been putting off buying the coffee.. But now will just go with pre-ground.. *sigh*..

Yep, that was my thought, Flatwhite, and why I went the Big W option. :)

The only thing that worries me now is that, if I have to wait another 4-6 weeks for the free grinder to turn up, it might be a bit hard to explain the length of delay in between the purchase and the return. I was thinking it would only be a week or two at the most between the two.

Still, will face that when it happens I guess and see how it works out - can always put it in the For Sales here, or EvilBay it off, if worst comes to worst and face losing a little bit of money but I guess I can mentally write that off to rental...

Hoyks.

Just say you brought it as a wedding present and that they already had one... :D

Ahhh, thanks Aaron - good one, that way its feasible due to the nature of someone buying it in preparation for a wedding! ;D

Any news peoples? Have you gotten yours yet :D

Cheers
    Aaron

Nothing from here - I still hadnt got a letter about a week ago and was getting a bit concerned, so I spoke to Sunbeam and the letter had come back Address Unknown because theyd put a wrong spelling of the street and South XXXX instead of East XXXX. :D

They confirmed that they definitely had my claim and the grinders were a couple of weeks away at that stage, so hopefully only another week or so to go.

Hey all,

Contacted them today and apparently the next lot of grinders is shipping this week, and they should all be out by the end of next week. Yay!

Woo hoo - thanks Ampia, much appreciated!

Cheers
    Di

Woo-hoo, my grinder turned up today!!!

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, its off to Big W we go... ;D

Big W? Why?

Yes! Why Big W? Im intrigued. Is there something missing from your new arrival? Mine is yet to materialize.

It would not be for their coffee beans, thats for sure!

still waiting :-(

Big W - because I bought one for myself there a couple of weeks ago and held on to the receipt and then took the new one in yesterday afternoon and got my money back on it.

Cheap rental... ;D

Its arrived!Only took 10 weeks. A beauty to behold. This is my first electric grinder and I am pleasantly surprised in how quietly my new EMO goes about its job.
    Have been using an old K&M hand grinder waiting for Sunbeam to come good and the consistency and quality of the grind between the two has been a real eye opener.
    Yay!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast