Thread: New Purchase 6910

New Purchase 6910

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    After hunting around for a good deal I picked up a 6910 and 4080 today.

Read the manual and watched the dvd, then flushed the 6910 and dialled in *the settings from the silvia vs SB review.

Ground some dome coffee on a setting of 11 and pulled the first shot. It was pretty average, the second shot was a lot better and I decided to froth some milk for a latte. My first ever froth attempt was a disaster. The third shot and things started to come together as I got the hang of the steam wand. Had to stop there as I was startin to OD on coffee.

My impressions so far are:

1. The machine is very easy to use for someone who has only ever made instant coffee.
    2. It comes up to temp very quickly and recovers almost instantly to brew successive shots.
    3. The steam is excellent for making successive or simultaneous milk drinks.
    4. The seperate hot water dispenser is much appreciated.
    5. The machine is very very noisy.
    6. The machine rattles like an old steam engine.
    7. Im glad it comes with some free training....I need it.
    8. The grinder is very easy to use and does a good job.
    9. The grinder makes a hell of a mess, going to have to do something about that.

As I drink mainly latte/caps and dont have a lot of time for preheating, I figured this would be an ideal machine for me. So far Im happy with it, but I need to come to grips with the steamer to get a better result.

I suspect I am also having trouble with my grind/tamping as I am unable to reach the optimum on the gauge as stated elsewhere on *this forum being in the brown zone.

Re: New Purchase 6910

If your short of the brown zone you need to grind finer.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1223384920/0#1 date=1223385477
    If your short of the brown zone you need to grind finer.
    Thunder is correct, but remember it is a balance between Grind size, Tamp pressure, how much you fill the PF and the quality of ya beans... Enjoy the learning experience and do not rush it, or you will miss a key factor and the journey may be a little frustrating.

1: Go do the training...
    2: Remember every grinder is not the same and you will need to play ( 1 click at a time and run a couple of shots to ensure your getting teh full effect of the setting change.)
    3: I refuse to grind into my PF as the grinder is on teh other side of the room... Have a EM0480 with the Silicon snout as well as a home made pvc snout....

Now while it helps to reduse teh mess... Static is a problem. So, I grind into a small coffee tin, which I present to the snout of the grinder.... Presto no mess and teh static is minimised. This works with my Rocky as well.

Note: I often steam and run 2 double shots in the same session... One double shot for a flat white in a MUG and the second double shot for me :-) The EM6910 manages this quite well. In addition, due to start-up times etc no need to purchase timers and to have a system on for 30 - 45 minutes prior to me wanting a coffee and chewing up carbon credits ;D

OH ... I forgot.... Welcome to CS where we respect each other, but it does not stop us from having a little dig or learning from others.

Hi Venno,
    Welcome to CS where you can learn a lot in a short time. The SB coffee school is very good. I attended one 2 weeks ago. Do it as soon as you can.
    Practice is the key when learning to make your coffee. Try and do the same thing every time to eleminate variables in the procedd and when you change something only change one thing like the grind or the tamp or the dose.
    I have been grinding into a glass that fits exactally on top of the PF. This allows me to get the same dose every time, eliminates the mess caused by the grinder and also reduces static (which causes the mess but IMO causes no other problems)
    After the grind are in the glass I invert the PF on top and then turn the whole lot over to empty the grinds into the pf with a couple of taps to dislodge all the grinds.
    Lastly read the enclosed hint card that was in your box and follow the milk trxturing instructions. I found that I gave me better results for a start and then it was just a bit of fine tuning. I still get it wrong sometimes but those times are getting less and less.

Good luck in your endevours to make that perfect coffee
    Regards
    Crisp Image

Hi Venno,

You might want to take a read of this thread http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1220959662 and glean some hints from there on milk texturing.

I would also recommend watching the milk segment on the accompanying DVD a few times, and perhaps some youtube vids to try and get an idea of what youre trying to do. Once you get the milk down pat, its very rewarding and actually fairly easy to achieve.

The thing Ive found with the steam tip on the EM6910 is that you need to have it fairly perpendicular to the level of the milk to get the nice small bubbles, too much of an angle and you end up with globs.

I also recently did the Sunbeam coffee course and found it well worth it.

Thanks all for your suggestions and comments. Going to launch into round 2 tonite of latte mania :).

I like the sound of the glass idea Crisp image, I think Ill look into that, I hate mess (neat freak).

I am booked into coffee school on the 25th this month :)

Just tried a grind setting of 5 into a double basket and just got an overextracted shot, the gauge seems to be a good guide. The underextracted shots from last nite were better. Next cup will be a grind of 8 I think.

Offhand, does anyone have an opinion what is a good set of glasses to use?

cheers

Congrats on your new machine Venno. My son wanted a machine recently and I recommended the 6910 to him for similar reasons that you stated, quick warmup fairly easy to use, he loves it, yes it is a noisy little sucker, but it makes a good espresso so what the hell!!
    The grinder is messy, grind into the little container you get with it and give the top of the hopper a couple of thumps after grinding to empty grinds left in the chute.
    Enjoy..........................gm
    Get some good fresh beans!!

How long does it take to heat up the milk for a couple of lattes ?

Im looking at getting one, and need to know this, as my 8910 auto machine takes forever.

Just posted in your other thread C-Train, it takes about 25secs. I mainly drink lattes myself.

I have mine more than a yr now~~
    Im using the single basket. I find that 15g of coffee give the best result for single basket.

Quote Originally Posted by venno link=1223384920/0#8 date=1223639888
    Just posted in your other thread C-Train, it takes about 25secs. I mainly drink lattes myself.
    Hmm... Mine is much slower then that - 50 secs for 2 lattes.
    Thats with driest steam & highest steam temp setting.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by Flyeroz link=1223384920/0#10 date=1223987742
    Quote Originally Posted by venno link=1223384920/0#8 date=1223639888
    Hmm... Mine is much slower then that - 50 secs for 2 lattes.
    Thats with driest steam & highest steam temp setting.
    I am thinking that some might be confusing pour time Vs steam time...

Flyeroz,

My original EM6910 had a problem with the steam pump, whereby I couldnt get decent foam (of any description) and it would take quite a while to heat up milk.

Basically, it sounded like the screeching you would get if you sat the steam tip on the bottom of the jug, the entire time (even with it correctly placed) and getting a whirlpool was extremely difficult.

Watch a few videos on youtube of the em6910 in action, and compare it to yours. If you think something is wrong, call sunbeam.

-ACog

I dont have any problems texturing milk. I did initialy. but it was due to my technique - practice makes perfect.

I was just surprised it takes you only 25 sec to do 2 cups of milk. Do you use thermometer ? Do you go up to 60 deg C?

All the vids Ive seen on YouTube are around 1min for roughly same quantity, about 40 sec for one cappuccino.
    Can anyone else with 6910 confirm how long they texture their milk for?
    I noticed one thing *- steam seems to be wetter then before. Cant be sure though.

Cheers
    Arek

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by Flyeroz link=1223384920/0#13 date=1224062490
    I dont have any problems texturing milk. I did initialy. but it was due to my technique - practice makes perfect.

I was just surprised it takes you only 25 sec to do 2 cups of milk. Do you use thermometer ? Do you go up to 60 deg C?

All the vids Ive seen on YouTube are around 1min for roughly same quantity, about 40 sec for one cappuccino.
    Can anyone else with 6910 confirm how long they texture their milk for?
    I noticed one thing *- steam seems to be wetter then before. Cant be sure though.

Cheers
    Arek
    A shot should take 25 - 30 sec but it all depends on any number of other inputs.

Frothing milk is also dependant on any number of inputs least of all the machine.. and then

1: Steam temp setting
    2: Wet Vs Dry *setting
    3: Type of milk
    4: Temp of Jug
    5: Temp of milk
    6: Style / method used
    7: Operator skill set
    8: Temp to be achieved
    9: Milk consistency / stretching that is being aimed for
    10: Volume

Thus before one starts getting carried away and comparing... *You need to be on the same page or your assumptions will put you in a place, that has be constructed *incorrectly. *In a nut shell, Apples with Apples not Oranges.

Update:

1: Steam temp setting - +5
    2: Wet Vs Dry *setting - *-.01
    3: Type of milk - Full cream
    4: Temp of Jug - Room
    5: Temp of milk - 6C
    6: Style / method used - tip to stretch and then deeper to heat
    7: Operator skill set - so so
    8: Temp to be achieved - 60C
    9: Milk consistency / stretching that is being aimed for - *Flat white / Latte
    10: Volume - Just below the start of the spout

25 sec to stretch for an increase by 30% volume and a total of 50 sec to get to temp of 60C

As this is getting off topic, it should be continued in the milk froth and bubbles section. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?board=GotMilk

Quote Originally Posted by venno link=1223384920/0#0 date=1223384920
    After hunting around for a good deal I picked up a 6910 and 4080 today.
    Congrats on your purchase.

I have found that sometimes the taste of the end resultant latte isnt directly dependent on where the espresso gauge is pointing during the extraction phase of the pour. Some beans that Ive tried start off in the red zone but then quickly back off into the brown or even gold zone. Other beans are fairly stable in the brown zone and Ive managed to get some really yummy tasting latte with the gauge in the gold zone. I find that the more stale the beans are, the finer the grind needs to be.

Enjoy using your machine and hope you are having as much fun as possible knocking out coffees for yourself and guests. I certainly have no desire to upgrade my Sunbeam even though Ive had it for a while now. I thought that upgrade-itis would have surely set in by now, but nope, this hasnt happened.

And its got nothing to do with the financial crisis that is affecting all of us either - Im just plain happy with this machine, which is good because I normally have very expensive tastes.... :o

:)

Cheers All

I am happy with the setup so far and starting to produce consistant shots with some good quality beans. I am still having fun trying to get the milk frothing correctand I have been taking too short time at heating it by all accounts, but any longer than 30 sec and I cant hold the jug anymore (I do have the steaming temp at +10 as per 1 of the threads on settings).

I tried out a jura 65 that I got for mum today (courtesy of the 4 sale section on this forum) and it makes a suprisingly decent cup. The steaming function on it is better than the 6910, the steam is dryer and hotter. I seem to be able to make a much better froth this machine, in fact its almost no effort at all compared to the 6910. If the coffee was the same as sunbeam I would be hanging on to this, sorry mum.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by venno link=1223384920/0#16 date=1225266970
    Cheers All

I am happy with the setup so far and starting to produce consistant shots with some good quality beans. I am still having fun trying to get the milk frothing correctand I have been taking too short time at heating it by all accounts, but any longer than 30 sec and I cant hold the jug anymore (I do have the steaming temp at +10 as per 1 of the threads on settings).

I tried out a jura 65 that I got for mum today (courtesy of the 4 sale section on this forum) and it makes a suprisingly decent cup. The steaming function on it is better than the 6910, the steam is dryer and hotter. I seem to be able to make a much better froth this machine, in fact its almost no effort at all compared to the 6910. If the coffee was the same as sunbeam I would be hanging on to this, sorry mum.
    As stated, I have mine at +5 and either Normal or a slightly wetter. Thus Great Steam Pressure and it does not then heat up as quick... This gives you more time to stretch the milk as you learn the little likes and dislikes of the EM6910.

For me I am not looking for FROTH... I am looking to stretch the milk and give it a texture... rather than bubbles.

Glad the Jura exceeded expectations venno, even if it did seem to travel by camel to get there! ;)

Am sure youll get the hang of texturising with the SB soon. As others have said, its worthwhile spending $6 or $7 on milk, and practice steaming one jug after the other - youll find yourself becoming profficient much quicker that way than steaming the same number of jugs over a few weeks.

Cheers!