Thread: my machine is sick

my machine is sick

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hi people.
    well this machine doesnt like me very much.
    just brought down the brew pressure to 9 bar a couple of days ago. pulling some nice shots at work with it. brought it home and havent been able to replicate nice shots (duh - youve got an iberital challenge at home! and a robur at work!).

THEN today, i pull a few average shots, come back an hour later, and no water from group head.
    waters happy to come out of steam/water wand (like miss silvia) but only occasionally from group head.
    removed shower screen and tried again. intermittenly working. lots of clicking, occasionally sounds like its choked. tripped the safety switch.

might be the solenoid coil (but this would be the second time >:(). and if this is the likely culprit why is the coil going bust like this? dodgy wiring or something?
    any other suggestions?

i chemical backflush weekly.

over to you people for some ideas please.

thanks in advance

aaron

Re: my machine is sick

Gday Aaron,

It may be that the 3-Way Valve ports are becoming blocked with coffee detritus and/or scale. It should be a relatively straight forward job to remove the valve, disassemble it and then clean, etc.... If you still get erratic behaviour after doing this, well then it might come back to the Valve Coil or a bad connection somewhere in the wiring. Wont hurt to give the valve a good clean anyway so even if you end up finding a problem elsewhere, youll know the valve is in good nick.... ;)

All the best mate, :)
    Mal.

thanks mal
    ill do a search now for cleaning valve coils but nothing comes up, ill be here again asking you for a little more help if thats ok (no, aaron, thats not ok, now leave me alone - i have better things to do...) :D

thanks
    aaron

Just sounds like you purchased an express ticket to La Spaz land mate ;)

nuh, i think i want the minore ;)

mal - i found a few threads on stuffed coils, so illl give it a once over with coffee detergent and see what comes up.

am I meant to use backflush detergent for this? (cafetto)

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roknee link=1223779836/0#4 date=1223853436
    nuh, i think i want the minore ;)
    I knew it haha. Surely the attraction of the fact the exposed grouphead looks way cooler than the enclosed on the LSpaz

Hehehehe.

Come on in, the water is fine.
    Somewhere between 92 and 98 (although this is an indicative reading only and not properly PIDd and I havent put a SCACE on it and these opinions are mine and mine alone and Im not making any claim that a DB machine is any better or worse than a HX and Im not saying that it can compete with a LM FB/70 [with fuzzy dice] or the Subaru Yeeha or indeed a teapot. It is what it is! Please read the prospectus in conjuction with the PDS before committing to buy anything shiny and always remember that just because I like it, doesnt mean you have to.)

love your work FB

Quote Originally Posted by roknee link=1223779836/0#4 date=1223853436
    mal - i found a few threads on stuffed coils, so illl give it a once over with coffee detergent and see what comes up.
    It may be the coil "rk" but Id be disassembling the valve itself before relegating the problem down to the coil as a bit of maintenance on the valve from time to time isnt a bad thing. If you have a look down near the bottom of this page theres a good description of servicing a solenoid valve that may be helpful to you.

If the internals are a bit gunked up then a soak in Cafetto will help with removal for sure,

Cheers,
    Mal.

I thought from the subject line you meant sick as in awesome not sick as in broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscura link=1223779836/0#9 date=1224726281
    I thought from the subject line you meant sick as in awesome not sick as in broke.
    ;D I usually spell that one "SIC" or "SIK" - as in awesome; thats how I roll anyway.

yeah my machine was a little unwell (not quite fully sick mate)

but is better - got help from craig at work - and shes firing much better now - see the other thread in non-specific machines for a recent pic. (not v exciting btw)

ok so, SIK, i gotta split, wicked, peace out, bling bling etc etc

Roknee
    Did you pick the family up off Ebay, the problem described matches the description of a family sold earlier this year, it had no bids until the symptoms described were removed from the ad, then it sold.

hey vr
    yeah that was me ;)
    took her home, did a full descale and rebuild, new vibe pump, new 3 way solenoid coil, then reduced brew presure to 9 bar, then new 3 way solenoid shaft - she works now - twas a good lesson in basic machines and simple engineering (always loved getting my hands a bit dirty

aaron