Thread: Oscar steaming out of its top...

Oscar steaming out of its top...

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    This morning, when warming up Oscar, it started making a steaming sound that i am not used to hearing. On looking, it seems that steam is escaping out of the vents at the top. I am fairly concerned about this and have no idea where to start looking for the problem.

If i open up the steam wand, it stops making hte noise, but not if I put water out of the group head.

there is definitely a decent amount of steam coming out the top.

Ive never opened up the oscar and have no idea where to start investigating. Am wondering if i should take it somewhere for a full service, but wouldnt know where to look either.

Suggestions very much appreciated. Ive really grown to love this machine.

Re: Oscar steaming out of its top...

Raphec - I read this with some concern for obvious reasons. I never had such an experience with the Oscar. I suggest you undo the screws on the top (I think 4 on the cup warmer) and 2 under the flip lid for the water reservoir and remove the top so you can have a look to see where the steam is coming from. This is very easy to do, and you only need a philips head screw driver. That might help with the diagnosis, but like you, I have never played around with trying to do repairs, so will not be able to advise further. I hope it is nothing major. Tim

ok opened it up, its leaking from the bit circled in the pic underneath (no idea what you call this bit.)

also wondering, have i managed to crack the boiler? is it supposed to be split like it appears to be over the top of it? it looks partially by design, but i am unsure.

anyone that can shed light on this, id be very appreciative.

ok a bit of searching, thats the overpressure relief valve, and some guy on another forum is having a similar issue (home barista)

it seems alsi the cracked thing over the boiler is the insulation, not the boiler itself. how bad this is, i do not know.

Still, not quite sure what to do with a constantly hissing over pressure relief valve.

help still wanted.

It is just the insulation foam that has split Raphec, nothing to worry about. Been like that for years. Hopefully someone else can help identify the part emitting steam. Tim

i am thinking of trying to remove the pressure relief valve to give it a clean and then put it back, but its on pretty tight and im terrified if i try to remove it i will break something else...

hey raphec
    can i suggest you take your oscar to veneziano (yes, i work there).
    ask for craig the techie - he should be able to help you out.
    check over there for the address and details
    <--------

aaron

managed to get the pressure relief valve off, cleaned it, put it back on, couldnt find my plumbers tape...

will grab some tomorrow, if it still fails after that, will take it to veneziano.

thanks for the tip.

ok, got some plumbers tape on my way home this evening. Machine warmed up without an further hissing noise. Al thats been done is the valve was soaked and cleaned, and then plumbers tape wrapped round about 6 or 7 times, then back in fairly tightly.

seems ok.

should i be overly paranoid? will keep an eye on it and if it reoccurs again, will take it to get looked at. may do so anyway sometime in the nearish future.

is there any danger of a boiler exploding if a pressure relief valve is faulty? though i do suspect it was a thread issue not a valve issue, i just cant work out why it happened.... any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, all appreciated.

Apology for relatively late response.

Did you notice if there was any remnant of sealing tape on the thread when you took the valve out to clean it?
    I have not seen one of these in the flesh, but if the thread wasnt sealed it is probably not surprising that it developed a leak.

The safety valve is there to stop further problems if the normal systems fail to maintain the pressure correctly and the valves rarely are faulty, but if the valve itself was faulty it may be of concern, however if it was only leaking because the thread wasnt sealed properly there should be no further cause for concern.

Bullitt

there seemed to be a tiny bit of tape, but not enough to make a seal. certainly oscar has been back in operation and working awesomely since i put the valve back.

Most manafacturers use a jointing compound when putting things together (a bit like paint) because it is easier than teflon tape (plumbers tape) there is a chance that there was npot enough compound on the thread when it was put together.
    That is my 2 bobs worth.
    Crisp Image