Thread: Thoughts on Gaggia Syncrony

Thoughts on Gaggia Syncrony

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,
    Anyone have any experience with the Syncrony? Is it worth buying? Is the grinder any good?

Site Sponsor

Re: Thoughts on Gaggia Syncrony

Hi Peter and welcome,

Which of the Syncronys are you looking at?

Have you already decided on a super auto rather than a separate espresso machine and grinder combination?

charlie

I was looking at the logic or compact. Maybe the classic would be a better idea. I havent made a decision yet. I already have a Cunil grinder so the grinder isnt important. It was just that I thought if the grinder was good it would save bench space.

Site Sponsor

Youll have to decide on the bench space versus coffee quality issue and which is more important. I know you will get great coffee if you paired your Cunil with a Rancilio Silvia for the same sort of money. I have never seen a super auto come close to this. If you are close to a site sponsor, consider getting a demo done on a Silvia with your Cunil.

We have Silvias turned on 7 days a week ready to be demonstrated so if Cremorne NSW is convenient drop by.

Then if you can, find somewhere where they do demos on the Gaggia. At the end of the day, that will be the best way to know where the Gaggia stands.

Or maybe someones already done this head to head and can post their findings??

charlie

It seems the Silvia is the way to go from what everyone says here on CS.

I think the Silvia is a good unit. I used to own one and I liked it.
    However, I have not used the Gaggia so cannot really comment on it.
    Possibly many of the people suggesting the Silvia are in the same situation.

As Charlie says above, see if you can find someone wholl let you play with a Gaggia and or other machines in the class. Nothing like hands on to help you decide what will suit you best.

There are some other questions worth considering - what sort of coffee will you want to make and how many at a time/per day and how much trouble you want to go to make a good coffee.

The Silvia will probably make a superior cup but there is a bigger learning curve compared to an auto which is designed to make coffee making simpler. There are other single boiler machines to consider but that depends on your budget too. If the Syncrony is around the $1500 mark then you could buy a Diadema Perfetta or Isomac Zaffiro or VBM Domobar Levetta but do you already have a good coffee grinder?

BTW, check this thread:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1128346652

I have the chance to get the Syncrony at a good price that is why I was looking. I currently have a cheap Sunbeam EM5600 and find it not very good for making coffee or frothing milk but passable. I was originally looking at the Gaggia Baby or Classic. Usually I am omly making 2 cappucini or short blacks(90% of the time), but when relatives are here I need to make up to 6 cups (10% of the time).

Site Sponsor

Ive got a friend with a Gaggia classic and paired with a good grinder (he uses a Rancilio Rocky) it makes a good espresso. If you do a Silvia steam arm "transplant" it also froths milk well. The only drawback is it runs out of steam pretty quickly - I think it can do 2 caps before it needs a boiler top up.

The Silvia will froth enough milk for 6 caps on a single steam "session", as will the bigger single boiler machines that flynnaus has mentioned.

charlie

Hi everyone just wanted to say thanks for this thread and your musings about the Gaggia Syncrony.
    I'm upgrading from an Aldi Pod machine and rather than buy a cheapie decided after research to by an oldy that I could afford. Yay Gumtree $135, they say it's in great condition and well maintained, looks like spare parts can be found and hubby is great with fixing things. Looking forward to starting my journey for a better coffee experience and a but kinder to the environment without the plastic pods