Thread: Sunbeam 6910 woes

Sunbeam 6910 woes

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I have a Sunbeam 6910 - 13 months old. Recently the original group seal blew out and needed replacing. No worries, off to the service centre and I installed a new one.

Unfortunately I am now having troubles with my machine. When i pour a coffee, the coffee comes out of the spout, and then water also starts to drip off of the handle. The coffee continues to run out of the spout ok. Today when i made a coffee water & steam was being forced out from near the top of the handle. End result is the water then drips into your coffee. Now i am guessing the problem is due to the handle not sealing on the group seal.

My techinque has remained the same - ie similar amount of coffee in the handle & I have also experimented with a slightly courser grind.

Does anyone have any ideas on a solution? I rang sunbeam, and the woman i spoke with had no idea whatsoever and wasnt any use.

thanks for your time.

DONT USE

Re: Sunbeam 6910 woes

hi hammer

this is generally a sign that the collar (where the pf fits) is worn and needs replacing

a short fix is to buy a spacer from your sunbeam service agent ansd install it above the group seal

graham

Site Sponsor

I have been told that the Sunbeam uses Zinc in the group head rather than Brass ? I believe it is a common fault for this machine for the Zinc to wear and then the portafilter doesnt lock in place as well as when new.

charlie

Site Sponsor

Hey fix, beat me to it!

charlie

OTOH, it may just be that the new group seal hasnt yet bedded in - is the portafilter locking in as far to the right as it was previously? With each of my new machines, Ive found that they leaked initially, but after a week or so of use the PF locked in further and the leaking stopped.

If it does turn out to be a worn group collar, I think you could argue that it should be replaced under warranty as the problem was manifest within the warranty period, but was not fixed when you took the machine to the service agent.

cheers for the posts.

i thought if it was the collar, i would have seen the problem prior to replacing the old group seal. the problem only changed after replacing the seal.

As for angle of the handle, i tried really cranking it to the right this morning after i made my coffee. This prevented any water from escaping from the seal i think.

FYI - my machine only probably makes 4ish coffees per week, so not very high usage. i do not store the handle connected to the machine.

hmm if i tried to argue the warrenty side of things, does this have to be negotiated with sunbeam first? The lady from SB suggested a worn collar and to take it to my local service centre. My beef with this is that i didnt see the problem prior to changing the seal.

Just on the warranty side, I dont know how many people are aware that American Express offers an extra years warranty if you buy appliances on the card. This has been a real lifesaver for us, and we have had a number of appliances repaired in the second year. The way it works is that you report the fault to Amex which launches a claim. You then take the appliance to an authorised repairer and get them to note on the invoice that this repair would be covered by normal warranty. You then send the receipt to Amex, and voila, you get a refund. It works brilliantly and has never been any hassle. The trouble may be getting the retailer to accept Amex, but Id suggest it worth paying the 3-4% murchant fee for the additional warranty.

good idea about the amex. i have a gold comm bank card and upon reading your post i checked the benfits of that card. it turns out they offer a similar arrangement. ill call them up today.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlack Espresso link=1224547450/0#2 date=1224548522
    I have been told that the Sunbeam uses Zinc in the group head rather than Brass ? I believe it is a common fault for this machine for the Zinc to wear and then the portafilter doesnt lock in place as well as when new. *

charlie

based on ... ?

I chimed into this thread just in time. Ive noticed that my portafilter is starting to work loose during the brew. It starts off at about five oclock position and as the pressure builds, swings around to six o-clock. YOu can actually see it move.
    Then theres the occassional water drips during the pour.
    Im really annoyed on a couple of fronts - firstly, its just outside warranty by a couple of months; secondly, it was in a few months ago for a new pump as the original was leaking; thirdly, the repairer is way across town and fourthly, I dont relish the prospect of two weeks without coffee! Ive emailed the ever-helpful Poppy, but it doesnt look too good for the longevity of the EM - and it wont be too long before I go looking for a Silvia.

Site Sponsor

In answer to your question runfast, Ive heard the same story from a number of customers. Im not suggesting it happens to every one and I realise that "common" will mean different things to different people.

charlie

It can be fixed in the short term with a new gasket.
    In bad cases the extra silicon spacer is also needed.

I replaced the group seals in my la scala and noticed that they have several different thickness seals you can fit to it, does the sunbeam have this option?
    maybe it would fix it but I too had a sunbeam once and the collar which held the group handle in also flogged out in no time flat to the point where the group handle would fly out under pressure and make a hell of a mess, needless to say I no longer hold much regard for sunbeam espresso machines and mine left with the name "junk" following it.
    As previously mentioned a change to the miss silvia would be a good option, in my honest opinion there is no comparison in build quality between the two, they are chalk and cheese.

Ray.

[QUOTE=runfast link=1224547450/0#8 date=1224650600]
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBlack Espresso link=1224547450/0#2 date=1224548522
    I have been told that the Sunbeam uses Zinc in the group head rather than Brass ?
    I believeit is a common fault for this machine for the Zinc to wear and then the portafilter doesnt lock in place as well as when new. *

charlie

I am not sure how this is wearing? The zinc you are referring to sits underneath the group seal and this is held in place by the shower screens and a phillips screw. The fault seems to be with the group collar being too soft and or the lugs on the portafilter being too aggressive or both. It seems to me that replacing the collar will only be a short term solution as the new collar will also stretch. The silicon spacer seems to do the trick although some people may need two of them.

As an aside Charlie, I see ACF are now making the cups in red.

DONT USE

As previously mentioned a change to the miss silvia would be a good option, in my honest opinion there is no comparison in build quality between the two, they are chalk and cheese.

exactly

one is small appliance made in china

the other is a small coffee machine, made in italy by a company who has been making commercial machines for over 70 years

graham

well i rang the insurance place for the credit card. Seems because i paid a small portion cash, and the rest on the card im not eligible for the extra warrenty.

It is frustrating that jsut outside the warrenty things go bad. Average price for the machine is $600ish. I would have hoped that it would last longer than it did.

I guess the original group seal must be slightly thicker than the replacement. the handle swings past 5 Oclock when i try to lock it down tight. i might see if i can try the spacers.

Does anyone know how much a collar replacement is likely to be? The down time that it is away is also crap.

I have been quoted $60.00 for the collar - but of course labour is extra.

Sunbeam are sending me a spacer. Anyone know where I can find instruction on replacing the group seal. I got the basket off easily and the managed to get the nut off, but nothing past that. How does the assembly come out?

Quote Originally Posted by runfast link=1224547450/0#16 date=1224804798
    I have been quoted $60.00 for the collar - but of course labour is extra.
    hmm a $60 collar will quickly turn to a $120 replacement :(

Flatwhite check the model number on your machine - it sounds like you have a 6900. On the 6910 you only have to take out the screw!

Quote Originally Posted by flatwhite link=1224547450/0#17 date=1224816766
    Sunbeam are sending me a spacer. Anyone know where I can find instruction on replacing the group seal. I got the basket off easily and the managed to get the nut off, but nothing past that. How does the assembly come out?
    Send me your email address in a PM and Ill send you a pdf file "EM6900 seal change instructions".

Thanks TG. It seem that just sending the spacer was sufficient. The problem has rectified itself before I was able to try and follow those instructions.
    Go figure!