Thread: sunbeam 6910 vs baby gaggia dose

sunbeam 6910 vs baby gaggia dose

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi! First time poster:) i currently have a Breville 800 and looking to upgrade to a mid level machine. I am looking at two machines and would like to know what would be the better of the two. I make coffee at home with fresh beans daily and find the Breville a bit limiting with its pressurised basket etc. I would also like a machine that would allow me to experiment to attempt my own home grown god shots! What would be better, sunbeam 6910($610) or baby gaggia dose ($450)? Thanks!

Re: sunbeam 6910 vs baby gaggia dose

Hi Kofi,

Welcome to CS. I cant comment on the baby gaggia, but I do own an EM6910 and can say that I think you would be reasonably happy with it.

It comes with both pressurised and non-pressurised baskets and a decent tamper, so sounds like it might be a step up for you.

Sunbeams after sales service is said to be very good and you should also be able to get a better price than $610 by doing a bit of shopping round, offering to pay cash etc.

Hi kofi and welcome from me too.

As youre using fresh beans, Im just curious to know what you are grinding these with? I guess the measure of what constitutes a "god shot" is relative to your starting point, though without a decent grinder, it simply wont happen with any appliance or machine you may purchase.

Something to consider before lashing out! ;)

Hi kofi

The Sunbeam can steam milk and pour a shot at the same time. This means you can prepare your coffee a little quicker rather than having to wait for the steam to build. I think the Sunbeam also has a better steam wand than the Gaggia (which has the pannarelo froth enhancer type. Apart from that I imagine the shot quality would be about the same (but I havent used a Sunbeam before)

Yes if you dont have a good grinder, then your chance of getting the god shot isnt really any better with either machine. You might also want to search to see if you can get unpressurised baskets for your Breville .

Thank you for your replies - i can see the sunbeam has a few fans! I currently use the sunbeam cafe series burr grinder. I did a bit of research before purchasing it and i feel it does the job well.

Well, in that case kofi, an unashamed plug that you might like to consider that is in the class of machine, not appliance...

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1224628340/1#1

The Sunbeam EM04580 (or EM0450) should be up to the job.

Im not sure of your budget but you might also consider the Gaggia Classic that Dennis is selling http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1224628340. More than capable of making a brew as good as the Sunbeam or Gaggia Baby and only $400!

Edit...errr yeah, what Dennis already said but Ill validate his shameless plug :)

sounds like a good deal- what does everyone think about the baby dose as compared to the classic? To me the classic sounds more durable. How do the inner workings compare? Thanks

not having any experience on a Breville 800 myself, is a 6910 or gaggia really going to be a step up?

If you can locate some non pressurised baskets for the 800 (the part number is often thrown around in the under $500 forum) and a new group seal, then this will start you towards your "godshot" and you can save the money towards a machine that will truely be a big step up (vibiemme levetta etc and mazzer / macap grinder)

just a thought

Sen

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1191801665/0

Quote Originally Posted by Senator link=1224909577/0#8 date=1225000959
    not having any experience on a Breville 800 myself, is a 6910 or gaggia really going to be a step up?

If you can locate some non pressurised baskets for the 800 (the part number is often thrown around in the under $500 forum) and a new group seal, then this will start you towards your "godshot" and you can save the money towards a machine that will truely be a big step up (vibiemme levetta etc and mazzer / macap grinder)

just a thought

Sen
    +1

This is exactly my thinking. You will get a moderate improvement by upgrading to either of these machines, but much better bang-for-buck - and longevity - if you can afford a more serious single boiler machine (~$1200). You have a more-than-adequate machine (with the conversion to unpressurised basket) in the meantime, so theres no real time pressure to upgrade straight away. FWIW, I also suspect youll get much better value for money by upgrading your grinder than your machine with your current setup.

I own a Baby Dose and find it a very capable entry level boiler machine. But if i had the choice again id get the classic. Just for the fact its not so dependent on electrics like the baby dose is, instead it has big chunky switches and you can upgrade the steamer on the classic which i hear improves steaming milk immensely.

I am actually waiting on the krups non-pressured basket for my Breville, giving my machine one last chance..

Not being familiar with a boiler, would i need to treat the Classic much different than a thermoblock?

Im really leaning towards the Classic..

I have a feeling I am about to embark on a serious learning curve with coffee, which i will love:)

I own a classic and love it. However, both it and I are still in the early stages of love so I cant give you much more info about reliability and stuff like that. i have no problems waiting for the temperature to increase for steaming, but if you are making a number of espressos a day or you are very short for time, then perhaps the dual thermoblock on the 6910 would be better off.

but in agreement with huhness, i would choose the classic over the baby dose.

Took my Baby Dose back 3 weeks ago. The steam wand came away from the machine and because i have a warranty i couldnt be bothered taking it apart and repairing it myself. I thought id take it in and have it back the next week because nothing needed to be ordered in they just needed to attach the part again.

Long story short they are replacing it with a Classic. ;)

The Baby Dose just seems to be much more fragile than the Classic. So im happy with the outcome.

You have to be happy with that Buzzed

Very Happy! ;D

Cant believe the Department Store I bought it off was so generous!