Thread: La Pavoni Puccino PCL

La Pavoni Puccino PCL

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

Ive recently purchased one of these to replace my ageing DeLonghi but am having some trouble with it. Firstly the coffee should come out at around 75 degrees C but its a lot cooler than that! Secondly its very hard to get the pressure right, but im putting this down to 2 things, im using the crap plastic tamper that came with the machine and my grinder is just a rotating blade rather than a Burr mill.

Are the problems caused by a faulty machine, or crap accessories? Can anybody reccomend a good but cheap Burr Mill (im in the UK)?

Thanks in advance!

Re: La Pavoni Puccino PCL

Welcome Aaron..... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I think youve got yourself a pretty decent machine there mate, should be able to produce some beautiful espresso with it.

Like a lot of people before you, youve upgraded the wrong piece of hardware first. If theres something we seem to keep on repeating around here (cause its true), buy the best grinder you can possibly afford as it is this, when coupled with freshly roasted high quality coffee, that will get you well on the way to producing excellent coffee (no matter which brewing method you use)..... Everything else is ancillary to this.

A decent tamper makes it easy to become consistent with the application of consistently the same tamping force and in the interim you might be able find one from a commercial hardware retailer that comes close to being a nice snug fit into your machines PF Baskets. If you do a bit of searching through this website, Im sure youll be able to turn up most of the information you need to help get started and then to stay on the straight and narrow. ;)

All the best Aaron and enjoy the journey..... :)

Mal.

many thanks for the info, i was worried id wasted my money on a poor machine there (theres not much info on it on the web but I got a good reccomendation from a shop). Ill definatly invest in a new tamper straight away, and hopefully get a better grinder for christmas. Do you have any reccomendations on entry level grinders that are good for espresso? Are stepless better than stepped? Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by aaronb link=1224929431/0#2 date=1224973565
    Do you have any reccomendations on entry level grinders that are good for espresso? Are stepless better than stepped? Thanks again!
    Read through this thread Aaron... http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1194680556
    And then see where your budget might take you...... ;)

Cheers,
    Mal.