Thread: Classic - single shot frustration

Classic - single shot frustration

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I am happy with the quality of my shots with the double basket - no worries there. But, in an effort to manage my consumption, I really want to try single doses on an every day basis, with a double more occasionally.

The problem is that I cant seem to get a decent shot using the single basket. Using my regular grind and tamp pressure I get a total choke up. Therefore, I find I need to increase the coarseness of the grind and ease up on the tamp pressure, but then I get a week pour with no crema. It seems there is little tolerance in this device. Also, for some reason its really easy to overfill it such that the puck hits the screen and I cant lock in the PF handle (then the puck is ruined and I have big clean up on my hands). I normally like to overdose the double a bit and never have this problem, again it seems there is little tolerance with the single. The thing is doing my head in, and Ive just about given up on it.

Anyone had any joy getting a quality single shot from a Classic?

Re: Classic - single shot frustration

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewN link=1225316238/0#0 date=1225316238

Anyone had any joy getting a quality single shot from a Classic?
    Yes. Continue using the double basket and cut the shot short. You should get a sweeter espresso that is well worth the extra grams of coffee used.

This is a problem with using a single basket in any machine - not just the Classic.

A good shot can be obtained from a single basket, but it is a PITA to achieve it (I personally havent bothered for years now)....

Use a double basket and:
    extract a short shot as Dennis suggests above
    If you dont want a sweeter espresso???? then use half as a "sink shot"
    or put the other half in the fridge for making iced coffee later....

These techniques will save you a LOT of frustration

I use the single filter a lot of the time. There are a few things I have to change to move between the single and double. I grind one notch coarser for a single (rocky), and I also dont fill as high in the basket. I fill the single flat, and then scrape over the top with a bent finger to scoop out a little. That makes it clear of the showerscreen. That works consistently well for me, but not sure about on your machine. I tamp the same for single and double.

Damian.

Thanks guys. I think I could get there with finding the right grind, and getting the fill right (the bent finger technique sounds like a winner), but possibly its more trouble than its worth. A short-double-shot seems obvious now that you mention it. However, I wonder if I will be able flick the switch off early, or pour half down the sink (I dont drink iced coffee). That sounds like it will need more will power than I have in the morning when the smell of coffee is fresh in the air! It seems criminal to abort a full double shot, analogous to practicing the withdrawal method. Still, I might have to deal with it.

While I generally agree with the previous responses, ie, use a double and cut it short (nothing wrong with double ristretto style), or let half run into the drip tray,
    there is one other option that you might like to consider...
    Depending on the size of your single basket, you could get a bigger single basket and that would give you a bit more tolerance than the standard one.
    For example some single baskets are around 6 or 7 grams, but I believe you can get baskets around 8 or 9 grams, which effectively are large singles (too small for a double).

Bullitt

It seems criminal to abort a full double shot, analogous to practicing the withdrawal method.
    Yeah, thanks for that - Ill never pull a short shot the same again!

:D

;D

I am the oppisite, the double shots i make are all over the place, i have always used the single basket in all the machines i have used and never had a problem, but the doubles i have had hassles with, it might just take a while to get used to it.