Thread: 6910 Shower Screens & Tool Questions

6910 Shower Screens & Tool Questions

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi O Experts *;)

Yesterday afternoon, the coffee heathen (AKA the hubby) queried what the tool end of the coffee scoop on the 6910 was for. *I have no idea and it doesnt mention it in the booklet anywhere, so I ask the first question - does anyone know its purpose?

So, in an effort to work it out and being an insatiably curious thing that I am, this morning I decided to undo partially the group head shower screens to see if the tool fit in there. *I undid the screw in the shower screens and gently took the shower screens out and nearly dry retched when I saw how much black gunky oil had built up on the back of the shower screens. *I took this as I obviously dont backflush enough (I can get a bit lazy and only do it every second or third day, so after about 6-8 coffees during the week). *So I gave the shower screens a good going over with the good old toothbrush and soapy water and got rid of it. *Also removed some (but not all and I didnt want to attack it too much with a scourer) of the black gunk on the solid bit at the top of the group head. *I also gave the seals a good wipe over and got rid of as much coffee grounds off them as I possibly could without taking them out, which I didnt want to do because I figured it might do something untowards to the seals and I didnt want to stuff the seals up.

I *then put it all back together again and the taste of my coffee has improved tenfold, thank goodness! * The coffee I made just prior to doing all of this tasted really quite icky, over extracted and dirty, which was another reason why I thought Id give it a thorough clean out.

So, my second question is, is what I just did the equivalent to using a cleaning tablet and running it through the comprehensive cleaning program, or should I still try and get my hands on some cleaning tablets (I saw some on EvilBay a few weeks ago for only about $4.00 plus postage) and do this as well. *As in, does the thorough cleaning cycle clean more than just the shower screens and group head?

Cheers
    Di

A_M

Re: 6910 Shower Screens & Tool Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyks link=1225497767/0#0 date=1225497767
    Hi O Experts *;)

Yesterday afternoon, the coffee heathen (AKA the hubby) queried what the tool end of the coffee scoop on the 6910 was for. *I have no idea and it doesnt mention it in the booklet anywhere, so I ask the first question - does anyone know its purpose?
    IT was intended to assist with the removal of the Hot water and the steam tip... However different tips are now available..

So, in an effort to work it out and being an insatiably curious thing that I am, this morning I decided to undo partially the group head shower screens to see if the tool fit in there. *I undid the screw in the shower screens and gently took the shower screens out and nearly dry retched when I saw how much black gunky oil had built up on the back of the shower screens. *I took this as I obviously dont backflush enough (I can get a bit lazy and only do it every second or third day, so after about 6-8 coffees during the week). *So I gave the shower screens a good going over with the good old toothbrush and soapy water and got rid of it. *Also removed some (but not all and I didnt want to attack it too much with a scourer) of the black gunk on the solid bit at the top of the group head. *I also gave the seals a good wipe over and got rid of as much coffee grounds off them as I possibly could without taking them out, which I didnt want to do because I figured it might do something untowards to the seals and I didnt want to stuff the seals up.
    So you did all this and not hubby ;) Well done. I would not worrty too much about the Black on the main solid part...

So, my second question is, is what I just did the equivalent to using a cleaning tablet and running it through the comprehensive cleaning program, or should I still try and get my hands on some cleaning tablets (I saw some on EvilBay a few weeks ago for only about $4.00 plus postage) and do this as well. *As in, does the thorough cleaning cycle clean more than just the shower screens and group head?
    I tend to do a cleaning tablet about every month or two, but again it depends on use. In addition I also do a manual clean every other month or two. That way I get to see what dirt there is and do not spend so much on the tabs etc.

As I use filtered water I have not done a full system flush on my home system for some 12 months...

I havent yet taken the shower screen off my 6910, but I run it through a cleaning cycle once a week (about 12 - 15 coffees Im guessing). I use about 1/2 - 3/4 of a teaspoon of caffeto which my roaster very kindly provides me for free with every few orders.

Daily it gets flushed after each coffee and wiped down with a cloth, including around the group head, shower screen etc to remove any remaining coffee granuals etc.

Then weekly - cleaning cycle as above and also use this time to give the grinder a thorough cleaning.

If you want to test the effectiveness of your cleaning, put in a blank PF / basket and run a shot, see how much granuals there is in the water in the glass, or what colour it is. Whatever is there would have been mixed with your shot ;)

Sen

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by Senator link=1225497767/0#2 date=1225499380
    I havent yet taken the shower screen off my 6910, but I run it through a cleaning cycle once a week (about 12 - 15 coffees Im guessing). I use about 1/2 - 3/4 of a teaspoon of caffeto which my roaster very kindly provides me for free with every few orders.

Daily it gets flushed after each coffee and wiped down with a cloth, including around the group head, shower screen etc to remove any remaining coffee granuals etc.

Then weekly - cleaning cycle as above and also use this time to give the grinder a thorough cleaning.

If you want to test the effectiveness of your cleaning, put in a blank PF / basket and run a shot, see how much granuals there is in the water in the glass, or what colour it is. Whatever is there would have been mixed with your shot ;)

Sen
    NOTE: The EM6910 does not have the standard commercial 3way and I would not recommend to put in a TRUE blank...

The Cleaning cycle does a ramp up and down and with a full cleaning tab it does blank the PF to a large extent; but only in the early stages.

If you mean an Empty PF then that is different and I agree, a quick but simple test..

yes, meant an empty PF & filter, not a "blank" as you would expect with a commercial prosumer machine for cleaning.

after removing the shower screen, have any of you noticed that the group of small holes are off-centre? Maybe the hole press was out of alignment when mine was made.

this results in a uneven pour (made sure my tamp was even) - more in one cup, usually the left, when I make two singles.

Not an issue if having a double. Have tried securing the shower screen so that the off-centreness is equally spaced (if that makes sense).

Curious if other have found this....

Cheers

I didnt notice it in particular when I had it undone this morning, but mine does a pretty even pour from both sides when I split it into my two 30ml measuring glasses. Sometimes a little more in one glass, but I figure this is my tamping, not the machine.

meanbeanz: I had the uneven pour when my machine was over the line where kitchen bench slabs join. They are at slightly different heights and moving the machine to be on the same slab fixed the uneven pour.

sammys do you have a 6910?
    Because if the pour is uneven due to an uneven benchtop, then all thats needed is for the font legs to be srewed in or out for adjustment.