Thread: Silvia PID With Preinfusion

Silvia PID With Preinfusion

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Just a heads up.
    I see the other supplier of PID kits for Silvia is now offering a kit with a preinfusion function included with the shot timer, also included is a steam control function. I wont post a link seeing they are opposition to a site sponsor and the mods will have to delete it, but to those of us still temp surfing our way along this looks to be an interesting development in the Silvia world.

Re: Silvia PID With Preinfusion

There has been quite a bit of discussion about pre-infusion on Silvia on this site, and I would be interested to know how they claim to be doing it, because many of the supposed methods are unlikely to achieve effective pre-infusion.
    Firstly, with a PID the temp surfing issue is managed really effectively, and straight timing of the pump on/off time is quite feasible with many PIDs.
    Secondly, as I understand it, the only effective way to gain any type of pre-infusion on Silvia is to use a PWM controller on the motor so that it can be ramped up to speed very slowly, or ramped up then slowed down and ramped back up, instead of the relatively instant start up which occurs normally, and there are also some requirements to modify the way the 3 way valve operates during the pre-infusion stage, so that it stays shut.
    I am not aware of how a reasonably priced PID controller can manage all of this.... although if you are electronically skilled or know an instrument technician who is a good mate nothing is impossible.
    Bullitt

I assume the shot timer will start the pump, pause then pump again with the valve remaining closed until the shot is completed, the time of both stages being user adjustable.

It sounds good [on paper] even if it doesnt improve your brew.
    I like how you can still use manual control on the shot too.

But once your technique is up to speed with a Silvia, one must ask do I really need this?

This explanation is taken from directly the site

"The pre-infusion is achieved by pumping a small amount of water into the coffee, holding off the pump for a second to let water soak in, then starting the 25 second pumping. This will prevent abrupt high pressure water on the dry coffee powder that can create some fast flow channel to ruin the brewing. It will improve the consistency of the brewing even if you didnt tamp the coffee perfectly. The extraction timer contains three segments: pre-infusion pulse (Tp), soak (Td), and brew (Tb). Each segment can be set by user with 0.1second resolution. When the ">" key is pressed, the controller starts the brewing sequence automatically. The pump can be stopped at any time by pressing the ">" key a second time. This feature allows you to operate the brew pump manually, with the timer as a reference. User can also bypass the timer to use switch on the machine for manual controlling the brewing process. "