Thread: VBM DS > VBM D (Piccolo) showerscreen

VBM DS > VBM D (Piccolo) showerscreen

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I was watching ECAs VBM DS (thats coffee speak*;D) instructional videos this morning with Scottie Callaghan. Im so impressed that a supplier has gone through the trouble of producing them. Says a lot for ECA service.

Anyways...just wondering if the HX model has a different showerscreen (higher) than the Piccolo? I think if I packed that much coffee into my filter basket I would never be able to lock it in the group. Actually have run into this problem quite a few times in the past.

Since I started using the new K-3 grinder I find that many times I end up with a small amount of water sitting on top of the coffee puck when extraction is finished. I still have the small indentation at the center of the puck where it has gently pushed up against the screen; the puck still pops out whole and I can snap it in half but I never had the small pool before. Suggestions?

TC

Re: VBM DS > VBM D (Piccolo) showerscreen

Quote Originally Posted by Buschy link=1226704772/0#0 date=1226704772
    I was watching ECAs VBM DS (thats coffee speak*;D) instructional videos this morning with Scottie Callaghan. Im so impressed that a supplier has gone through the trouble of producing them. Says a lot for ECA service.

Anyways...just wondering if the HX model has a different showerscreen (higher) than the Piccolo? I think if I packed that much coffee into my filter basket I would never be able to lock it in the group. Actually have run into this problem quite a few times in the past.

Since I started using the new K-3 grinder I find that many times I end up with a small amount of water sitting on top of the coffee puck when extraction is finished. I still have the small indentation at the center of the puck where it has gently pushed up against the screen; the puck still pops out whole and I can snap it in half but I never had the small pool before. Suggestions?
    Hi Buschy,

Yes, were highly impressed that ECA went to this trouble also 8-)

As for the shower screen- nope, the group and screen are identical. My advice is to find a dosing method that works for you and stick to it. Scooties method is just one of a whole host of ways... :)

Chris

dont worry Buschy after watching the vid i tried the same and let me tell you since Thurs ive been getting around with the sulks and kicking the cat everytime it crosses my path ;D

Ive just about worn the PM function out picking Chriss brain with similar info, i cant for the life of me work out how some guys are cramming 21g into the basket.

if i ever hit a shot like its supposed to be like than all i can say is the forum certainly is going to know all about it ;D

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo link=1226704772/0#2 date=1226707055
    i cant for the life of me work out how some guys are cramming 21g into the basket.

Darren
    I reckon its all smoke and mirrors. I would love to view the clips on the cutting room floor. Especially the one where he says "I still cant get the bast...d to lock in", and then he proceeds to put his index finger in the basket, scrapes out the top layer of tamped grinds to lower the level and then repolishes.... :D

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Buschy link=1226704772/0#3 date=1226708881
    I reckon its all smoke and mirrors. I would love to view the clips on the cutting room floor. Especially the one where he says "I still cant get the bast...d to lock in", and then he proceeds to put his index finger in the basket, scrapes out the top layer of tamped grinds to lower the level and then repolishes.... :D
    Nar, hed just use his Scottie Callaghan dosing tools which he purchased at wholesale price *;D

FWIW, my Veneziano dose is circa 20.5g

Hey Buschy

I was getting the pool of water on top of the puck, or at best wet pucks. Grinding coarser just gave me too-fast pours with only a slightly drier puck. After Chris ran his Scace & fluke on my machine and bumped up the brew temp to 93 I dont get the wet puck anymore. In fact its a bit on the dry side. Something to check out if you feel that the grind and dosing is correct.

93c really is the max you want to go there, its great for some beans but can ruin some too. A pool of water normally suggests under dosing, not grind issues. If he showed you how, try taking it down a digree or two and dosing up a tad (grind to match)

The descaler is always a great idea as is constant maintenance ie clean the shower screen after every days use. (really, I do that. hehe)

I have not seen the vid but Im sure he (SC) always works with 21grm baskets. (which you do not tamp with pressure)

Most home and even consumer models only sell 18grms. (which you need at least 10kgms of pressure)

I might be on the wrong track with my answer as I have not seen the video, but Im also trying to get up to 50 posts so I can post in the "where else in the world has good coffee" section ^^

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower link=1226704772/0#6 date=1226941522
    Im also trying to get up to 50 posts so I can post in the "where else in the world has good coffee" section ^^
    That would defeat the purpose of the 50 post limit.

The last couple of mornings I have changed my dosing procedure slightly (not grind setting) and the small puddle is now gone from the top of the puck. I was underdosing, but just by a VERY small amount. Now its grind>tap twice>grind>tap once>grind>sweep>tamp with slightly more pressure>polish. When I lock the portafilter in now there a tiny bit of resistance and handle ends up at 6 oclock. It might be difficult to replicate each time, the amount & level of grinds in basket that changes the puck from being slightly wet on top to dry is miniscule.

Quote Originally Posted by flynn_aus link=1226704772/0#5 date=1226920426
    Hey Buschy

I was getting the pool of water on top of the puck, or at best wet pucks. Grinding coarser just gave me too-fast pours with only a slightly drier puck. After Chris ran his Scace & fluke on my machine and bumped up the brew temp to 93 I dont get the wet puck anymore. In fact its a bit on the dry side. Something to check out if you feel that the grind and dosing is correct.

Glad to hear it. How have the shots been?

Yes, I have been updosing as well but not to the point where the puck is hitting the shower screen as Im concerned about fracturing the puck. Ive been working on my distribution as well, ensuring I pay attention to the edges

Shots have been very good. 25>30 seconds for double basket and pour "like honey from a spoon". Taste... well.... not bad but I need to work on my roasting technique a bit.

Puck good is enough to play hockey with *:)