Thread: dead domobar levetta

dead domobar levetta

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    well not quite dead, its just not heating up the water >:(

only had the machine since July, I keep it clean, purge the steam wand and run hot water through to make sure there is always water covering the element and so on. :(

oh well, I have to give espresso company a call tomorrow, just hope it wont take too long to fix, going to be very twitchy by the end of the week without my coffee.

pulled out my old stovetop coffee maker, brreaght!!! need to go clean my tongue, nearly as bad as plunger coffee.

Re: dead domobar levetta

After steaming, do you refill the boiler with the brew switch or the hot water switch? The brew one obviously opens the 3 way valve to allow water to flow into the group, and if youre using that to refill the boiler youll probably find a good portion of the water goes straight out of the group, leaving a somewhat empty boiler. I only ask because Ive heard of some doing it this way.

TC

Does it heat if you press the steam button?

If yes, its not the element....If no, the boiler needs to be removed to replace the element.

I *think* elements are about $50 and 60-90 minutes of labour will be required....

Meanwhile, ECA milk texture guide: http://www.espressocompany.com.au/downloads/DomobarUserGuideSteaming.pdf

This applies to all single boiler machines....

Chris

I use the hot water switch after steaming as to the steaming guide.

Does it heat if you press the steam button?
    nope,

I have only had the machine 4 months, it still be covered under warranty isnt it?, after its out of warranty I would quite happy to do work myself.

Its still under warranty I would say.

Does the steam or hot water lights come on when these buttons are pushed? If not is the pressure plate or switch that the water tank sits on working? It might be worthwhile checking. The switch might be stuck open?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by flynn_aus link=1226820527/0#4 date=1226834257
    Its still under warranty I would say.

Does the steam or hot water lights come on when these buttons are pushed? If not is the pressure plate or switch that the water tank sits on working? It might be worthwhile checking. The switch might be stuck open?
    Correct you are flynn,

If it is an element, it will not be covered by warranty. In single boiler machines, there is always a risk of cooking them and as a results, manufacturers wont warrant them.

Its one of the reasons that I like the Diadema Perfetta- element replacement is a 15 minute job and therefore inexpensive.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by dAz52 link=1226820527/0#0 date=1226820527
    ... nearly as bad as plunger coffee.
    Not that plunger is necessarily bad if done right ;)

Does the steam or hot water lights come on when these buttons are pushed?
    light comes on and stays on, but no heat, if I grab the water tank and lift it a bit the light goes off.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by dAz52 link=1226820527/0#7 date=1226878546
    Does the steam or hot water lights come on when these buttons are pushed?
    light comes on and stays on, but no heat, if I grab the water tank and lift it a bit the light goes off.
    Will it heat when you press the steam button?

If no, it will almost certainly be an element....

C

Does this machine have a resettable safety thermostat?

Jim

TC

Quote Originally Posted by PIDKits link=1226820527/0#9 date=1226879094
    Does this machine have a resettable safety thermostat?

Jim
    Yeppers- found on the top of the boiler and worth a try....

The element should read about 44 ohm across the contacts with the machine switched off and unplugged

If it is the element dAz52, I would suggest biting the bullet and spending the extra time and money getting it fixed by the dealer or ECA to protect your warranty. Chris mentions that replacing the element means removing other components to get at it

Quote Originally Posted by flynn_aus link=1226820527/0#11 date=1226880471
    If it is the element dAz52, I would suggest biting the bullet and spending the extra time and money getting it fixed by the dealer or ECA to protect your warranty. Chris mentions that replacing the element means removing other components to get at it
    I agree, I just taken it up to ECA a half an hour ago after contacting Belaroma from who I bought the machine from, ECA will let me know hopefully by Wednesday if its ready to pickup.

I did look for a reset switch/thermostat when I took the cover off yesterday, but didnt recognise anything so just left things alone :)

oh the repair guy liked my steam tip that I made and had a brief discussion on different configurations of steam tips down to one custom made one with 5 holes, 3 holes focused downwards and 2 tips set at an angle to swirl the milk.

ok, just picked up the machine, all working fine :)

the tech guy said it was a fault in the element, it was showing a lower Ohm reading than it should so wasnt allowing enough current through to heat up.

didnt cost me a cent, thank you ECA and Belaroma

dAz

Good to hear.

Well looks like my VBM has suffered a similar fate, havent been using it as much of late, emptied the tank to put some fresh water in, turned it on and ran the hot water tap to check to make sure the boiler was full and to flush some new water into the boiler, everything fine, no real air came through and ran about 400ml through.
    Was pacing around watching the clock and walked past and noticed the boiler light on but no sound, touched the head and wasnt as hot after 15min as i would of thought, watched a bit longer and light just stays on and remembered reading this thread a while back so used it as a reference and lift the tank the boiler light goes out, push the steam switch and open the valve and nothing happens

like yours Daz52 its just coming up to 4 months old, maybe a dodgy batch of elements because like you i follow the same procedure and always run some water through the steam tap via the hot water button on initial start up to check the boiler is full.

Darren

yes that is what mine was doing, the light would stay on, but no heat, that is what the guy at the service centre thinks, it was a bad batch of elements, my element was showing a lower Ohm reading, so wasnt completely blown.

one thing the service guy said is when you go to switch off, lift the lever and let some water run through the grouphead, lower the lever then power off, that way you make sure there is water in the boiler covering the element.

Quote Originally Posted by 64417A3532000 link=1226820527/16#16 date=1232756461
    when you go to switch off, lift the lever and let some water run through the grouphead, lower the lever then power off, that way you make sure there is water in the boiler covering the element.
    I guess thats the same as running some water through the group when you first switch on, but a bit more precautionary. Im a bit concerned - mines coming up to 4 months too.

flynn_aus wrote:
    Im a bit concerned - mines coming up to 4 months too
    well Steve you better stock up on the Nescafe Blend 43 just in case ;D

just an update on mine, i contacted Renzo/Ofra about what was or wasnt going on I had a laugh, they were fantastic, Renzo said he would contact ECA, he got back to me to contact ECA to organise a time to drop it in, i also received an email off Sal from ECA that day to contact him to discuss getting the machine fixed.
    I have a roster day this Tues so Sal has me booked in for 11am and has organised it so they can turn it around for me that day.

Cant ask for much better service than that :)

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by 61424D494C230 link=1226820527/18#18 date=1232767553
    well Steve you better stock up on the Nescafe Blend 43 just in caseGrin
    We know where you live >:( ;D

Well heres hoping that the Veeb is back in business by Tuesday evening and the Nescafe 43 ends up where it truly deserves - the bin.
    Let us know how it goes and see if you can get a few more tips from Sal or the other techs.

I made the trip down to ECA today

the guys at ECA were fantastic, Sal kept me amused or should i say i kept him amused as he watched my barista skills hahahaha whilst Dave worked on my machine

im back in action, thanks to Ofra & Renzo at Di Bartoli and Sal & Dave at ECA, excellent service all round :)

Darren