Thread: Steam Wand Producing Water Problem

Steam Wand Producing Water Problem

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Everyone

Im giving Poppy a call on Monday (she was away from work today - wheres the lack of commitment??? :) ) but in the meantime, wondered if anyone else had experienced this problem and whether there was a quick fix for it to save me having to send my machine in to the Service Centre.

About four days ago, I ran the hot water outlet (I do this to warm up my glass/es that Im about to extract into), turned it off, ran my shot and then went to steam my milk. I found that the steam wand was only producing hot water, rather than steam. After a bit of a quizzical look at it, I turned it off at the wall and hit the factory reset thinking that my adjustments might have messed up the machine, and it went back to steaming fine.

Have made about another 10 coffees in it since.

This morning, I went to make my home brewed but take away to work coffee and it did the same thing. Funnily enough, I had used the hot water outlet again.

Unfortunately this time, no matter how many times I factory reset it, adjust the settings, etc it doesnt seem to want to go back to making steam.

I emailed the lovely Poppy today and she emailed back saying she was on a day off (what was she doing checking her emails on a day off, I ask!!!), but I should give her a call on Monday to discuss the machine.

In an effort to feed my addiction over the weekend, and to save the withdrawal symptoms of having to putting it in to get fixed, I was hoping someone might have experienced this problem also or Ive just done something silly and confused it.

Any help guys, by any happy chance?

CHeers
    Di

Re: Steam Wand Producing Water Problem

You cant confuse it Hoyks (well you probably can but you know what I mean).
    The hot water and the steam come via different pumps.

The small pump (4 bar) does the steam and the larger pump does the hot water and shots.

What you describe sounds like the steam thermoblock is not getting hot enough.

Ah, yes, sensei - "twin thermoblocks"!

Darn, guess that means its possibly off to the Service Centre...oh well, at least I can console myself with flat whites over the weekend.

Side Question:

Gas stove heated milk or microwave? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyks link=1227243980/0#2 date=1227247542
    Side Question:

Gas stove heated milk or microwave? *:D
    Really a matter of where you would like the mess when it inevitably boils over. :)

At least with the microwave it will turn itself off.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyks link=1227243980/0#2 date=1227247542
    Ah, yes, sensei - "twin thermoblocks"!

Darn, guess that means its possibly off to the Service Centre...oh well, at least I can console myself with flat whites over the weekend.

Side Question:

Gas stove heated milk or microwave? *:D

microwave = Pro. Quick and less clean up.. Con So easy to over do...

Let us know how you go.

Will do - just brewed some milk on the stove in the s/s jug with the thermometre in it and a simmer plate underneath it and worked fine, so far. Kept a bit of an eye on it, though, and it did take about 3 minutes to heat but if I put it on before I start tamping, my timing should just about be right.

Just doesnt quite taste as sweet as milk thats steamed, but beggars cant be choosers and at least Im still getting my char and still 1,000,000% better than instant!

BTW - is that an accurate percentage (I failed Maths at school, as you might be able to tell - excelled in English, though!!!)

:-?

Definitely microwave! Fill to the same level and you can easily get the right timing in one or two test runs. For me it is "milk to the level of the top of the mug handle" and "full power for 1:30"

No risk of burning the milk or it sticking to things, unlike stovetop.

Tip: Use the milk as soon as it comes out of the microwave. If you let it sit around for any amount of time, you will get a skin.

P.S. - I should mention I have not needed to do this since getting the EM6910, but with the Krups, nuked milk was on the menu about 1/3 of the time.

Thanks Pete - will give this a go.

I was nuking milk in the MW last week while the 6910 was in for repair.
    I think I need a few more runs but the last one was definitely better than the first.

I measured a little less than usual in my frothing jug, as I get a bit more than 60mls from the AeroPress, and poured that into a mug.
    Mug went in the microwave and I timed my stirring and pressing to match the end time of the MW so I could pour immediately (as mpreviously mentioned).

6910 came back this morning. All is now as it was.

Well, my baby went off to the Repairers this morning - one minutes silence was held at 9.00am as I was boxing it up.

Im having next week off work, for which all of my colleagues are grateful for as they dont think they get paid enough to work with me without my morning shot of energy - wuss they all are!

Lets hope I make it through...everyones picking their BeanBay orders up from me on Saturday afternoon, so theyll probably see this unkempt harridan with a wild look in her eye sucking on a coffee from GJs with a screwed up expression of disgust on her face! Oh, hang on, thats me all the time, sans the GJs coffee!!! ;)

sheesh,

Should I be taking wagers on when mine will be in for repair? Seems its inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyks link=1227243980/0#9 date=1227783477
    theyll probably see this unkempt harridan with a wild look in her eye sucking on a coffee from GJs with a screwed up expression of disgust on her face! Oh, hang on, thats me all the time, sans the GJs coffee!!! ;)
    Cracking me up Hoyksy.... ;D

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by ACog link=1227243980/0#10 date=1227786006
    sheesh,

Should I be taking wagers on when mine will be in for repair? Seems its inevitable.
    Unfortunately yep.

I managed to hold off the work one until its 11mth mark before getting the collar changed.
    Sunbeam have told me they wont fix anything on it again under warranty because they have deemed it a "commercial use" machine because its used at work.

"Commercial use" is if its used in a workplace.
    Even if only one person uses it for one coffee a day.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1227243980/0#12 date=1227831017
    sheesh,

Unfortunately yep.

I managed to hold off the work one until its 11mth mark before getting the collar changed.
    Sunbeam have told me they wont fix anything on it again under warranty because they have deemed it a "commercial use" machine because its used at work.

I feel for ya..

However as ours gets a number of users and has some throughput... I guess I can accept that ours would fit there. The issue for us is making sure they (plebs) use, clean and TAMP correctly as it is 14mths old and RED..

I guess the thing is that you need to have lots of dinner parties and that way 10 -20 cups a day at home is OK..

PS. Pm me if you want to know what the RED units are about ;D

Our one goes through about a dozen a day so I also have no issue with our total use.
    Its just their definition I dont like.

I had the option of taking a red one one when they gave us this one but it wouldnt have matched the decor.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1227243980/0#14 date=1227833570
    Our one goes through about a dozen a day so I also have no issue with our total use.
    Its just their definition I dont like.

I had the option of taking a red one one when they gave us this one but it wouldnt have matched the decor.
    Red *is for R as R is for Refub... (rebuild)

Ours seemed to have any number of little extras / build changes that others of the same time did not.

The only real issue is that lots of cleaning causes the paint to dull.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1227243980/0#12 date=1227831017
    sheesh,

Unfortunately yep.

This definition would fail to hold water if challenged in court IMO - unless they have defined commercial use as such in the fine print somewhere...

NIce to know, as it wasnt my understanding of the term.

I think it would more than hold water TG. *If no definition is provided a court would consider what is reasonable *While the term is vague it generally means that its used in a place of commerce - it doesnt need to turn a profit, but is available to the masses, whether they use it or not.

Then, who amongst us would be willing to risk a couple of $K to test it?

Perhaps Luca could give us an oratory on the subject... ;D

Perhaps hed do it pro bono.

In law if it is not defined in the Act of law that they are dealing with then they go to the Concise Oxford Dictionary for the meaning. :)

So Stan, would they look up the word, "commercial" and "use" separately, or is there a phrase for that? (Im a Macquarie man). *Imagine if the meaning of the phrase, "give someone a leg up" would be ruled by the definition of each word in a dictionary.

So, if it doesnt define the phrase, then again, I say it would be assessed by reasonability.

BTW, I just made that last word up. ;D

I think the word you want Den is reasonableness.

jk theyre both good.

reasonability - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
    Main Entry: rea·son·able *
    Pronunciation: /\/[ch712]r[ch275]z-n[ch601]-b[ch601]l, [ch712]r[ch275]-z[ch601]n-[ch601]-b[ch601]l/\/
    Function: adjective
    Date: 14th century
    1 a: being in accordance with reason <a reasonable theory> b: not extreme or excessive <reasonable requests> c: moderate , fair <a reasonable chance> <a reasonable price> d: inexpensive
    2 a: having the faculty of reason b: possessing sound judgment <a reasonable man>
    — rea·son·abil·i·ty */\/[ch716]r[ch275]z-n[ch601]-[ch712]bi-l[ch601]-t[ch275], [ch716]r[ch275]-z[ch601]n-[ch601]-/\/ noun
    — rea·son·able·ness */\/[ch712]r[ch275]z-n[ch601]-b[ch601]l-n[ch601]s, [ch712]r[ch275]-z[ch601]n-[ch601]-/\/ noun
    — rea·son·ably */\/-bl[ch275]/\/ adverb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasonability
    Reasonability - legal interpretation

The scale of reasonability represents a quintessential element of modern judicial systems and particularly important in the context of international disputes and conflicts of laws issues. The concept is founded on the notion that all parties should be held to a reasonable standard of conduct and has become embedded in a number of international conventions such as the UNIDROIT principles and the CISG.[1]

The earliest recorded use of the term reasonability has been in the Roman ages, where Romans became known for their methods in assessing an individuals conduct according to the scale. It became common practice to attribute a reasonability score between 1 and 5, where 5 would indicate that a party had acted reasonably and would be entitled to the full sympathy of the court.

Must be the Italian Dennis.

On a lighter note (This thread is turning into a huge reminder of my days as a Legal Secretary!)...

Sent my baby off for repair on Thursday morning - picked up by the courier at around 12.00pm Thursday - and received a call at about 5.00pm yesterday afternoon that the steam was back to being a goer and Im going to go and pick it up in about 1.5 hours (and counting!)

Gotta be happy for that sort of a turnaround time from a Service Agent - I work about 1 hour away from the service agent so, calculating time for the courier to get it back to the depot, deliver it to the Service Agent (I would suspect yesterday morning or, at the very earliest, late Thursday afternoon) then he looked at and fixed my machine with a turnaround time of about 16 hours!

Bwilliant, Vivenne, Bwilliant! :)

(quote from The Young Ones, for those that dont have my warped sense of humour...)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyks link=1227243980/20#23 date=1227911979
    On a lighter note (This thread is turning into a huge reminder of my days as a Legal Secretary!)...

Sent my baby off for repair on Thursday morning - picked up by the courier at around 12.00pm Thursday - and received a call at about 5.00pm yesterday afternoon that the steam was back to being a goer and Im going to go and pick it up in about 1.5 hours (and counting!)

Gotta be happy for that sort of a turnaround time from a Service Agent - I work about 1 hour away from the service agent so, calculating time for the courier to get it back to the depot, deliver it to the Service Agent (I would suspect yesterday morning or, at the very earliest, late Thursday afternoon) then he looked at and fixed my machine with a turnaround time of about 16 hours!

Bwilliant, Vivenne, Bwilliant! *:)

(quote from The Young Ones, for those that dont have my warped sense of humour...)

SO what was the problem ???? or do I have to do a Neil....

Oh, wow, Rick, thats like sooooo heavy... (*grin*)

Buggered if I know, but Ill ask him when I go and pick it up so that, if its user error - which I dont think it should be (and cant imagine being the fact that the water was coming out cold), but you never know... - I can make sure it doesnt happen again.

Ill give you a rundown tonight.

I happy to hear that Sunbeam service agents care for our caffeine consumption too!

We sent our office automatic off for a fix (wasnt frothing or heating the milk) yesterday at 9am via courier and received notice at 12.30 that it was on its way back, all working!

Greg

Wow - that beats even my turnaround time!

I found out, when I picked up the machine, that the problem was that the Thermoblock fuse has gone, so the technician had replaced the fuse in it so, fortunately, not anything that was my fault. It gave me a chance to pick up some cleaning tablets and descaling tablets at the same time, so that was good (although $36.00 later!) Still think Ill take the group head apart every now and then and give it a clean, though - thats just fun!

So, coffees all round (well, up to my 3rd in about as many hours...) and at least I looked cheerful when the guys came to pick their beans up!

A_M

Remember to take out the Anti-calc device / filter from you water tank before adding the clean tablets...

Thanks, will do! Now I just need to read the manuals to see how often to clean and how often to descale, and how actually to do it. Im guessing I probably wont need to descale too often because I only ever use filtered water out of the *Sunbeam* filtered water dispenser...

Also, with your experience, do you think Ill need to do a clean shortly, or do you think the technician would have done one while it was in the shop? I probably should have asked him this, but there were a few people waiting to talk to him so didnt want to take up too much of his time.

A_M

Some reading for you...

Go here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1225341932/25#25

As you can see there is no hard and fast Right or Wrong. *It is based on experience, Min Recommendations and is always compounded by the user and what product they may or may not be using.

If in doubt... *An extra clean will not hurt and you have a starting plase to record and enter into you coffee maintenance log book....