Thread: Imat leaking and gushing during brew

matblack

Imat leaking and gushing during brew

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ive changed the group gasket, removed the showerscreen and bolt, given it all a good clean and I back flush regularly. The problem has been intermittent but lately every time I pull a shot, hot water and steam gushes from around the portafilter.

Ive experimented with reducing the PID temperature and the problem seems to occur less at a lower temp, but it still happens and unfortunately it also produces inferior coffee when cooler.

I was contemplating removing the boiler to replace the seal and check/replace the solenoid valve but I need some advice as to diagnosing the problem. The solenoid still seems to be dumping to the drip tray OK. Im not really keen to send it to Lygon Imports if I can help it, Id rather do it myself if possible.

Any tips??

Re: Imat leaking and gushing during brew

Gday Matt,

Sounds like the new Gasket isnt quite deep enough to provide a proper seal. What position does the PF handle end up in when locked?

Mal.

matblack

I actually tried it with a thicker gasket first (& although the diameter looked too wide to me Alan assured me it was the right one). Now Ive got the thinner stock standard version from Lygon. But the portafilter will actually lock past 90 degrees at approximately 100 degrees. I just lock it as far as it will go. Should I try it at just 90 degrees?

matblack

Oh, its Kirk actually. I dont know why I chose the moniker matblack--just liked the sound of it and it wasnt taken.

Quote Originally Posted by matblack link=1227624955/0#3 date=1227694034
    Oh, its Kirk actually. I dont know why I chose the moniker matblack--just liked the sound of it and it wasnt taken.
    Oh, sorry Kirk.... :P

100 is probably a bit too far around for an Imat Mokita. With their design (and thinking in terms of a clock face) the PF shouldnt go too far past 6:00 and certainly no further than 5:30. Maybe all you need is a spacer or two under that new Gasket from Lygon Imports. If they cant supply them, it is possible to make them from thin, compressed cardboard; or maybe carved out from the lid of an old ice-cream container or similar. Anyway, you get the idea...

When its all said and done, the PF still needs to be locked in good and tight so simply loosening the PF to go back to a 90 or 6:00 position will just exacerbate the problem. See how you go with a spacer(s) under the Gasket (remove Gasket, fit spacer and then replace Gasket). If you end up with the PF handle locking in at slightly less than 90 (say, 6:30) then that will be fine as over time, it will seat-in the Gasket a bit more and allow a more conventional position for the PF handle.

Let us know how you get on.... :)

Cheers,
    Mal.

matblack

Howdy,

Thanks for the reply. Ive got a bigger gasket that fits around the group but is too deep and wont allow the portafilter in. I guess I might try cutting it on my friends table saw.