Thread: EM 6910 Gauge cal check

A_M

EM 6910 Gauge cal check

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    EM 6910 Gauge cal check ... Well a rough guide to work with...

As we all know the gauges have different configurations and colour bands...

1: Get out that old double floor PF

2: Place in the group and lock into the head.

3: Press manual.. You may need to do this once or twice for a few seconds and then let run for about 10 sec.

You should see the gauge move to the ideal sweet spot for extraction ( As designed / set-up by SB)

In effect, the single small hole in the double floor basket, is a set size so that; with rough off the shelf grinds the extraction rate and time should be a given. Thus taking the user out unless they have a good grinder.

I noticed the difference between my old and new unit and was able to confirm that it is close and helps set a guide to work to, as well as when troubleshooting. It also means you can check to see where you system is running without coffee and thus you have a reference point.

I expect that many of us will be at slightly different spots on the gauge.

For me, I tend to grind and tamp, to the extent that I am about 3mm - 4mm above this SB sweet spot in general on my units. I also pull short as that is what I like to drink.

It is also easer to use this double floor basket with the SB tab, rather than to get the rubber blind out when cleaning... But that is only my method and not recommended by others.

Re: EM 6910 Gauge cal check

You must be the first CoffeeSnob to find a use for them filter baskets. Everyone else just calls them useless and throws them back in the Sunbeam box. :D

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by peteru link=1227858558/0#1 date=1227887158
    You must be the first CoffeeSnob to find a use for them filter baskets. Everyone else just calls them useless and throws them back in the Sunbeam box. :D
    I had to remove the miniature Japanese sand garden from one and the other must be hiding......

What box, it went to the recycler the day after unpacking...

Interesting check

Did this today, wasnt as far around as I normally try and hit (this check hit around 1 oclock on the gauge, I normally aim for 2 - 3). Coarsened the grind a bit and ran a double that edged "just" past the 1 oclock position that the test hit. Ran a 60ml double in 22 secs. A little much and fast in my opinion, and blonded for the last 2 secs of the pour.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by Senator link=1227858558/0#3 date=1227918906
    Interesting check

Did this today, wasnt as far around as I normally try and hit (this check hit around 1 oclock on the gauge, I normally aim for 2 - 3). Coarsened the grind a bit and ran a double that edged "just" past the 1 oclock position that the test hit. Ran a 60ml double in 22 secs. A little much and fast in my opinion, and blonded for the last 2 secs of the pour.
    As I said... For me I like a few more mm past the theory.

However the theory is all in the match and the exact size of the small hole. Now when you grind and tamp that somehow has to = that 0.4mm hole :o ( Sorry the universe is not in alignment for me - can not do.)

I tend to go finer rather than courser and lighten my tamp... For me I am finding if I TAMP hard to over come course grinds I get channelling... NO matter what I try.

If I lighten my tamp and go finer, I tend to get better outcomes.

At least now you also know where your system sits as a base line.. Also worth doing the steam test while your at it...

Note: Steam performance check.

Set the unit to default steam temp and wetness OR do it at you own setting and make an adjustment for the wetness.

1: Purge the moisture... about a 10 sec run.
    2: Run into your SS jug for 60 sec
    3: Measure the water collected.

Should be approx 20ml (Default settings)... If significantly different then you may well have a problem.

If you do it at your settings, then you can monitor and gauge if the volume is changing; it can assist in trouble shooting as to a Temp, Pump Problem or blockage/ leak.

DONT USE

morning a m

You should see the gauge move to the ideal sweet spot for extraction ( As designed / set-up by SB)
    i think this needs more explanation
    (possibly only confusing the issue)
    what is the sweet spot you refer to

IMHO

Graham