Thread: Gaggia Coffee Deluxe OPV adjustment

Gaggia Coffee Deluxe OPV adjustment

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi

Ive been given a Gaggia Coffee Deluxe and have been looking thru the posts for an explanation as to why the crema on my machine is so poor. Almost everyone agrees that this is down to the age of the coffee being used. My problem is that I also have a DeLonghi espresso machine, I use exactly the same coffee in both, the DeLonghi gives a nice long lasting crema and the Gaggia gives almost no crema at all.

I am now thinking that this may be down to the setting on the OPV. I checked the thread about the OPV on the Classic, but the pictures dont relate to the Deluxe and I was wondering if anyone can help me make the same adjustment on the Deluxe, or at least help me to pinpoint the OPV.

Many thanks and love the site *:)

DONT USE

Re: Gaggia Coffee Deluxe OPV adjustment

hi mbaravelli

Ive been given a Gaggia Coffee Deluxe and have been looking thru the posts for an explanation as to why the crema on my machine is so poor. Almost everyone agrees that this is down to the age of the coffee being used
    old coffee if ground correctly and packed will still produce a crema (bit weak and thin)

have you assumed that the previus owner has kept the machine clean

problems associated with poor crema are more to do with stale coffee oils not being cleaned from the group system and pf

would start by removing shower and block and check for cleanliness (soak in coffee cleaner not citric acid)

probably wouldnt hurt to also do a descale whilst your at it

Depending on which delonghi you have, will depend if it is using standard filter baskets(like the gaggia) or Dual floor filter baskets

the grind needed for the standard filter basket needs to be finer, and the quantity of coffee and tamper need to be more accurate

lots of people critisize the dual floor filter. this is usually because they dont understand how it works,
    or appreciate how many users would be making even shittier coffees, if they had to work with the standard baskets

graham

A_M

Graham - I like it when you get back to the basics...

It is hard when people are self medicating and ask for help..

The main reason is that there are many things a technician is going to need to know and all too often, in addition to not have sight,smell and sound to work with; people often only provide parts of the symptom etc.

What can be worse is where they have already decided on what the problem / fix is...

It may or may not be the OPV and the previous owner may have been a coffee equipment service guru or Not...

Mbaravelli hang in there and follow the advice given and or consider all the other variables such that others may be in a better position to assist.

I dont wanna sound like a "coffee snob" ;)

but that "De-onkey" is a total piece of $(^@&*).

My friend had one. He wanted to try some beans i was using my old gaggia espresso

that i brought to work for everyone to try. The beans i gave him were ground with

a Rancilio Rocky the extraction on my Gaggia was superb. When he put it in his

"Donkey" the result was choking. That thing could not handle the grind.

THis may be 1 of many trouble shoots.

1) descale your gaggia. 2) clean the group head..3) check the grouphead seal
    4) what kind of water are you using..ie regular tap? it matters
    5) how long do you let it warm up?..should be at least 15minutes with at least
    2 blank pulls.

6) You need to get some allan keys and remove the shower head etc.
    and clean it all out.

7) do google searches on gaggia espresso maintenance both machines
    use identical parts the orientation inside for the pump placement is the
    only difference. I believe your pump is vertical.

DONT USE

I dont wanna sound like a "coffee snob"

but that "De-onkey" is a total piece of $(^@&*).

My friend had one. He wanted to try some beans i was using my old gaggia espresso

that i brought to work for everyone to try. The beans i gave him were ground with

a Rancilio Rocky the extraction on my Gaggia was superb. When he put it in his

"Donkey" the result was choking. That thing could not handle the grind.

was your freinds delonghi made by delonghi or kenwood
    Big difference
    5 delonghi machines slod, some have dual floor filters others donot

just because the grind is right for your gaggia, doesnt meen that it is right for another gaggia, less alone any other make of machine

the result was choking. That thing could not handle the grind
    incorrect, the grind was incorrect for that machine

if i ground coffee for some commercial machines, it would clog up in yours
    but that doesnt make your machine a piece of shit

IMHO
    people who make these types of statements are not snobs, but uneducated, and usually not interested in learning

graham

my bitch for today

Hello again

Thanks for the 2 positive replies I recieved. Just thought I would give a quick update on progress so far;

I have had the machine apart and it was indeed suffering from a bad case of scale. I ran half a tank of diluted descaler thru it, waited the two hours suggested on the packet and then ran the rest thru it. I then ran 2 tanks of clean water thru it, for a thorough flush. Next I put the portafilter in and waited 15 minutes for the unit to warm up sufficiently, I then pulled two blank shots, loaded the filter with fresh coffee and tamped to 30lbs, pressed the button and hey presto: a nice espresso with slightly more crema, but not nearly enough.

I have a couple of questions...

Am I right in thinking that the descale and thorough clean are necessary to get rid of scale and coffee oils, which may reduce the crema?

My shots seem to come far too fast [sic], even with a well tamped 7 gram measure, it only lasts for about 10-15 seconds... this is why I was "self medicating and ask for help.. ", could this suggest a problem with the OPV setting?

I will leave aside the discussion regarding the DeLonghi... it seems very easy to use and produces very consistent results... maybe I should just go and buy a jar of Nescafe...

Thanks for the advice so far

Mark

Nescafe has no crema.

Quote Originally Posted by mbaravelli link=1227901642/0#5 date=1228000351
    I then pulled two blank shots, loaded the filter with fresh coffee and tamped to 30lbs, pressed the button and hey presto: a nice espresso with slightly more crema, but not nearly enough.
    What kind of coffee are you using Mark; also the make and model of your grinder would be handy to know?

Mal.

DONT USE

7 grams is not quite enough coffee
    try increasing your coffee quantity to 8-9 grams
    and compare
    graham

Hi [ch65279]there,
    The way I understand it, the Delongi has a device that increases the appearence of the creama by frothing it up. I could be wrong on that one though.

Many moons ago I upgraded from a Delongi to a Gaggia Classic, I have upgraded again but
    cant bring myself to getting rid of the Gaggia because it was so good. Never the less, when I first started with the Gaggia I had little or no creama and was very disappointed.

I ended up getting a grinder and using fresh roasted coffee and playing around with grind and tamping preasure and ended up with a fantastic thick and rich creama, easily as good as my current full size commersial machine.

You have a clean machine now so play with the coffee, but the Gaggia is very unforgiving to
    old coffee. But if you feed her right she will reward you.

Also, if you are worried about your OPV setting you can get a reasonable idea by checking
    the return flow rate?
    It should be around 110ml in a minute. If its way different to that then you may have a
    problem that needs adjusting.

I hope this helps

Rio