Thread: Upgrading from EM6910 - what to buy < $1500?

Upgrading from EM6910 - what to buy < $1500?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ive had 18 months use out of my EM6910, but its starting to have problems, so I am wondering what to buy next. There is a very sex machine for 3K that everybody seems to be drooling over, but I dont want to spend that much.

I dont really want a Silvia - that seems more like a sideways move.

Im happy to spend up to $1500 - any recommendations?

I have a Mazzer mini grinder.
    average 5 pours per day.
    dont want an auto machine - something like to 6910 but better.

A_M

Re: Upgrading from EM6910 - what to buy < $1500?

Quote Originally Posted by Toad link=1227922571/0#0 date=1227922571
    Ive had 18 months use out of my EM6910, but its starting to have problems, so I am wondering what to buy next. There is a very sex machine for 3K that everybody seems to be drooling over, but I dont want to spend that much.

average 5 pours per day.
    dont want an auto machine - something like to 6910 but better.
    I am sort of in the same boat.

a: Silvia = Sideways
    b: Grinder = Rocky
    c: Pours *= Average *6- 10 *a day

Would like semi Auto, all be it for simplicity for the wife and kids. *They grind, tamp and do most every thing but it has a timer for the pour. *They*Hit the button and if they look away... NO problems.

Coffee and Steaming of Milk at the same time to allow those little dinner parties to happen with out extra long delays. *Do no want to get into after marker mods and temp surfing etc.. *Wife and Kids would o off in a huff...

I may not be able to afford till after x-mass so will be watching this thread closely and would expect that I may have to up the $1500 limit slightly.

Wife and daughter off to Italy next year and would love to have them bring back a "retro looking style unit" . Saw one her the other day on CS but can not find it for the love of me *&gt;:(

" Found it - Diadema Unico Splendor"

Quote Originally Posted by AngerManagement link=1227922571/0#1 date=1227924203
    Saw one her the other day on CS but can not find it for the love of me &gt;:(
    Not, per chance, the Diamond Italia?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by flatwhite link=1227922571/0#2 date=1227924515
    Quote Originally Posted by AngerManagement link=1227922571/0#1 date=1227924203
    Saw one her the other day on CS but can not find it for the love of me &gt;:(
    Not, per chance, the Diamond Italia?
    No... It was the Diadema Unico Splendor but I am open to any thing at this stage..

My rels (the Italian ones) want us to buy over there, when my wife is visiting... Their first thought is that it will be cheaper as they have contacts etc etc... However shipping and any service issues still have to be addressed.

I would rather buy local for any number of reasons..

At the end of the day.. Needs to be suitable (see my post above) and the costs have to be reasonable and something that I can argue. Saving $18 on an Afagato is not good enough.

Also could be offset by selling not only one but the other EM6910 as well.

average 5 pours per day.
    dont want an auto machine - something like to 6910 but better
    Toad
    Best value for the money
    Bezzera BZ99S (HX): $1,550.00 @ Di Bartoli
    Domobar Piccolo: $1,050
    Check out the sponsor page
    This special was posted on 20. Nov 2008

KK

AM

I don[ch8217]t think you will be satisfied with anything less than a HX machine

Nothing is stopping you from getting a Demo or used model LM GS3
    As it is Italy the number of machines in circulation will be greater so you might pick up a bargain ;)

KK

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1227922571/0#5 date=1227938775
    AM

I donít think you will be satisfied with anything less than a HX machine

Nothing is stopping you from getting a Demo or used model LM GS3
    As it is Italy the number of machines in circulation will be greater so you might pick up a bargain ;)

KK

I love demonstrators .... *

I will have to do some reading and further research, but while there is some pressure to buy OS... *I will be scouring the Sponsors sites and any deals / offers after x-mass.

Note: After reading about the GS3 I am concerned that I might want something that I can not afford (some interesting posts in the &gt; $3000 section) or if there is such a thing still available..

used LM GS3 for $1500?

A_M

I should not have started down this road to HELL..

10min on a sponsors site and WHY do they not have an office here... *A good thing *from by wifes view point... or I would have rushed out and spent $$$

Oh my god this is worse than any of the sites that the government wants to ban.... *I am in trouble :-[

Something to think about....

A *used* machine will generally have had only one owner, and if owned by a CSer, it has usually been well looked after. If its a year old and done a few coffees per day, and a few more on the weekend, it could have 1000 hours on the clock.

Over the same timeframe, a *demo* machine of the same age could easily have had a couple of hundred people operating it, yet still well looked after. It will also have had over 2000 hours on the clock.

A new Diadema Perfetta comes in at a little more than your budget, though comes in full stainless steel; the Vashetta is of lighter construction, and youll have money left over from your budget. IMO both of these machines are a BIG step up from the Silvia.

Wife and daughter off to Italy next year and would love to have them bring back a "retro looking style unit"
    My rels (the Italian ones) want us to buy over there, when my wife is visiting
    If it was me with family in Italy Id be scouring Italian ebay looking for a classic 50s or 60s single group commercial Lever like a Faema or Cimbali or maybe a original E61, ship it back and restore it here. But that is probably not the sort of thing your after.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by vicroamer link=1227922571/0#10 date=1227999957
    Wife and daughter off to Italy next year and would love to have them bring back a "retro looking style unit"
    My rels (the Italian ones) want us to buy over there, when my wife is visiting
    If it was me with family in Italy Id be scouring Italian ebay looking for a classic 50s or 60s single group commercial Lever like a Faema or Cimbali or maybe a original E61, ship it back and restore it here. But that is probably not the sort of thing your after.
    I would love that path... My wife I doubt that she would be so happy...

She even said to me yesterday... $ 600 for 2 to 3 years and an upgrade to the next model at a similar price would see an outlay of about $1000k over 5 to 6 years and would allow for changes to be managed. I argued that a bigger and better machine would be more cost effective in the long run...

She said it was BOYS toys and my coffee is GREAT now and most people would not be able to tell the difference...

She agreed that if I get rid of some of my computer crap (20 odd cases and parts all over the place etc) then those $ could go towards my UPGRADE management fund...

Looks like it may be a while yet.. Will have to keep my eye on the local rag and Cash converters etc for an old unit that is worth restoring.

AM. If you are willing to have a little less shiny bling, a bigger footprint, and a lot of STATEMENT on the kitchen bench, with incredible coffee, you could always have a scour under Extreme Machines to see if any second hand commercials tickle you.

Cheers

PS. You could be well set up for your price bracket, but they are best left on 24/7, which is about a $/day for a 2 group (based on mine at least). But having instant boiling water for tea, soup, veges, rice etc is so good i cant see myself without it now.

TC

How about a VBM Domobar Piccolo (and a grinder as a Christmas pressie) ;)