I dont think I had this machine for quite 2 weeks before I completely tore it apart with a plan to make it something my wife would not have me cover or store under the cabinet... she just didnt like the looks of it.. to "industrial" or "male". *So I started looking into different ways to "color" the exterior cabinet to make it prettier. *After a few days of thinking about it, I talked to some people at a local electroplating company (in Tucson- weve got lots of vintage cars around here, and they like to plate nearly everything under the hood). *The owner told me that he thought it could manage it. *By that time, I had already disassembled it so he could get a good look at what needed to be done (I didnt want to force him into guessing) and he gave me an estimate: *1 week and approximately $600. *That was for elecroplating the entire cabinet and screws with copper, and the E61 group/group handle and all other exterior hardware (steam and water wands) with gold. *He suggested gold, because it was not that much more than brass, is food safe and extremely stable under heat and pressure. *So off we went-- 5 weeks later I got it all back. *They had some employment issues-- so it wasnt entirely a technical problem. *I was warned that a mirror-polished surface of copper needs some kind of coating (either powder coating or clear urethane) to protect it from tarnishing- that was the mistake. *Powder coating requires baking at 400 deg F, which will turn the metal a variety of very beautiful hues between blue and yellow, which isnt really the desired outcome. *That took a week to strip and polish to get it back to the original copper finish, then it was shot with a clear-coat of urethane. *The finishing took approximately 3 weeks. *All this time, some wood parts were being made by Les (Thortamper.com)- and came out awesome. *Hes currently working on the steam and water knobs, but those require some new techniques in manufacturing hes not tackled before and may be a while before I get those. *In the end (about 10 weeks total) I think (THINK!) it was worth it.. I had my trusty Pavoni to keep me company all the while-- although it did create a bit of stress due to the constant miss in time estimates. *If you attempt this, take lots of good, clear digital photos- otherwise, reassembly may prove to be quite challenging. *I never saw a sign from Expobar (or wholelattelove.com) that sais "no user-serviceable parts inside" or "entry will void warranty".. so I proceeded. *You can only imagine what our kitchen counter looked like during this time! *I have a very patient wife (she even felt guilty, because she thought it was mostly her idea.. I just let her think that).