Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Getting the most out of a Krups novo 2100-962

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    47

    Getting the most out of a Krups novo 2100-962

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

    This is my first post on the forum. A mate of mine is big on coffee and recommended I have a look at this website, so here I am!

    Since speaking to my mate I have become much more interested in making a really good cup of coffee, instead of the "near enough is good enough" philosophy I have followed in the past. I currently have a Krups novo 2100 962 (I think!) machine and it produces a good cup of coffee in my opinion, but I have no idea what the potential is and what I could be doing to get more out of it. And to make matters worse, its my sisters old machine so I dont have any manuals etc!

    Given I am totally new to this, my mate gave me a few questions I should be asking about this machine - so Im just going to regurgitate them here! :P

    What is the standard tamp pressure most people use?

    What amount of grind for the double basket?

    Is it worth replacing the presurized baskets? Can I replace them?


    I am a mad beer brewer too so these sort of hobbies have a tendancy to get a serious grip on me! :) Down the track if I was to upgrade to a better machine, can anybody recommend a good way to go?

    Thanks, Im really looking forward to churning out some classy cups of coffee!

    Cheers,

    T.D.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    703

    Re: Getting the most out of a Krups novo 2100-962

    Hi T.D. and welcome,

    First things first,
    to make good coffee you must have fresh beans, and a good grinder.
    I am not familiar with the Krups unit that you have, does it have an inbuilt grinder, or do you have a separate grinder?, If not there are several that are suitable for reasonable cost and upwards.

    Now that you have freshly ground beans,
    I believe the standard is around 30 pounds tamp, BUT all things come back to what does it taste like in the cup..
    Tamp pressure can be adjusted depending on grind size, amount of ground coffee, and yes type of filter basket.

    Amount of grind for double basket, start with 14 grams, again it depends on what it tastes like, it is not uncommon to use more, but start there.

    Is it worth replacing the pressurised baskets, YES.
    Again I dont know what you can get that will fit, but a non pressurised basket, or filter, will enable you to more easily tell what is going on when you brew your shots.
    I started with a basic Breville thermoblock machine, the difference with fresh beans, a good grinder and non-pressurised filter was significant, and I could produce as good a drink as that machine was capable of.

    Also warm up time does make a difference on all machines, 30 mins minimum is good, and not difficult if you get into habit of turning machine on before you want to brew, and then doing something else for a while.
    Hope this helps you get started.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    92

    Re: Getting the most out of a Krups novo 2100-962

    Getting the most out of your existing equipment is simply matter of experimentation. Try different coffee types, with different grind settings and packing different amounts in the filter basket.

    Some tips I found work for me are: pack more coffee into the filter basket; use fresh beans, use a better grinder, use one (minimum) step setting coarser than produces the magic 30ml in 25 seconds (for pressurised baskets).

    Ultimately you will want better equipment as you reach the limits of your current equipment. Plenty of good advice on these forums when you get to this point ;)

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,176

    Re: Getting the most out of a Krups novo 2100-962


    Hi T.D.

    The first place to go to get better shots is to get the best and nicest fresh beans you can. That means steering clear of the supermarket or anywhere that sells vacuum packaged pre-ground beans. There seem to be a huge choice in beans these days. A local deli has more than 10 different brands of coffee... But they are all stale. You want to find a local roaster, or a coffeeshop that is supplied by a local roaster and buy fresh beans. If you want variety, search out as many local roasters as you can and try beans from all of them. Chances are youll find something you really like.

    As for your machine. If you only want to drink milk based drinks, then upgrading isnt too important. My neighbour has a cheap Sunbeam thermoblock machine (similar to your Krups) with pressurized filter baskets and he made me a coffee the other week. I cringed, but in the spirit of adventure I gave it a go. He was using the same fresh beans as I use, so it was going to be an interesting comparison. Wow... It blew me away. He could make a milk coffee very close to what I can make on my $3000 machine and $1000 grinder.

    If you want ot go to unpressureized filter baskets, then you open up a whole can of worms. Youll need a good grinder suitable for espresso. These arent cheap. The best and cheapest grinder suitable for espresso is the Sunbean EM0480 at as low as $175, but usually more like $190. All other grinders are upwards from $250.

    With a good grinder, youll have to learn how to distribute and tamp the grounds into the filter basket so that you get a shot ranging from 30 ml in 30 sec to 60 ml in 30 sec, depending on whether you are making a single or double. This opens up a whole world of learning and experimenting.

    Ultimately you will be able to do better with better equipment, but it is a diminishing return. The biggest jump is to seek out fresh beans and grind them yourself. If you have them pre-ground for you, they will be stale by the end of the day. So for fresh beans, a grinder is the single most important addition to your equipment list.

    I hope that helps a bit with your coffee journey.

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    47

    Re: Getting the most out of a Krups novo 2100-962

    Thanks for all the advice! Hmm, the beans I am using are probably a couple of months old, and even then they were from the local IGA! :-?

    Ill get some good beans and play around with some of the tips you have all provided. Thanks again! :)

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    164

    Re: Getting the most out of a Krups novo 2100-962

    Welcome T.D. 8-)
    (straight up ill let everyone know im the mate you talk of... bit dissapointed you didnt use "great" or "unreal" as a prefix, but ill let it slide)

    From giving you those questions to ask, i was hoping to catch an owner of a similar machine, with some classy hints on how to best extract some goodness from the krups. From what i gather your machine is very similar to like models from the sunbeam/breville range i guess.. i.e. thermoblock with pressurised baskets and a frother aid.. etc etc

    Ive got silvia and rocky in my kitchen, but i dont think the same procedures apply to both machines. example i think 15kg of tamp pressure would choke the krups (but i could be wrong)

    So... if any CS members with similar machines, could give a rough guide on the basic process it would probably save T.D. and i from drinking too much of those 2 month old beans :o ;D while fine tuning the process.

    Cheers
    KoNG

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    47

    Re: Getting the most out of a Krups novo 2100-962

    KoNG, Ive gotta get rid of those beans somehow! Id love to inflict it on a less unreal, great mate, but youll have to do for now! haha ;)

    But yeah, if there are any members out there with a machine that is similar to mine, Id love to hear some of the tips you may have to get the best results from this machine. I must say, I am quite happy with the coffees it churns out (I usually try and make something similar to a flat white, based on watching people make them in cafes), but KoNG has got me thinking more about the potential.

    Thanks again :)

  8. #8
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,768

    Re: Getting the most out of a Krups novo 2100-962

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky link=1148949718/0#3 date=1148959751
    Hi T.D.

    The first place to go to get better shots is to get the best and nicest fresh beans you can. That means steering clear of the supermarket or anywhere that sells vacuum packaged pre-ground beans. There seem to be a huge choice in beans these days. A local deli has more than 10 different brands of coffee... But they are all stale. You want to find a local roaster, or a coffeeshop that is supplied by a local roaster and buy fresh beans. If you want variety, search out as many local roasters as you can and try beans from all of them. Chances are youll find something you really like.

    As for your machine. If you only want to drink milk based drinks, then upgrading isnt too important. My neighbour has a cheap Sunbeam thermoblock machine (similar to your Krups) with pressurized filter baskets and he made me a coffee the other week. I cringed, but in the spirit of adventure I gave it a go. He was using the same fresh beans as I use, so it was going to be an interesting comparison. Wow... It blew me away. He could make a milk coffee very close to what I can make on my $3000 machine and $1000 grinder.

    If you want ot go to unpressureized filter baskets, then you open up a whole can of worms. Youll need a good grinder suitable for espresso. These arent cheap. The best and cheapest grinder suitable for espresso is the Sunbean EM0480 at as low as $175, but usually more like $190. All other grinders are upwards from $250.

    With a good grinder, youll have to learn how to distribute and tamp the grounds into the filter basket so that you get a shot ranging from 30 ml in 30 sec to 60 ml in 30 sec, depending on whether you are making a single or double. This opens up a whole world of learning and experimenting.

    Ultimately you will be able to do better with better equipment, but it is a diminishing return. The biggest jump is to seek out fresh beans and grind them yourself. If you have them pre-ground for you, they will be stale by the end of the day. So for fresh beans, a grinder is the single most important addition to your equipment list.

    I hope that helps a bit with your coffee journey.

    Cheers,

    Mark.
    Great advice Sparky, and everyone else too of course [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif].

    Hi T.D.

    And welcome to CoffeeSnobs [smiley=thumbsup.gif]. I guess one of the dangers of asking for advice on a forum such as ours, is that youll get heaps of great advice and sometimes this can be a bit daunting in, and of itself :-?. But as Sparky has pointed out, the most important part of the whole equation is to have access to high quality, freshly roasted coffee.... nothing else comes close. And in your case where you may not have a good quality grinder as yet, Id leave your existing PF (PortaFilter) baskets alone and see if you can find someone..... such as your unreal, great mate KoNG ;D, to grind your coffee for you and then store into some resealable bags that will at least keep the coffee fresh-ish for a couple of days at a time.

    The best thing you can do though, is to try and get hold of a good grinder as soon as you can, and before you upgrade to a more sophisticated espresso machine. If you can extend the budget a bit more to buy a higher quality grinder now, it will have the capacity to outlast all future upgrades of the espresso machine.

    First things first though..... must have great coffee before you worry about anything else as it wont matter how much you spend on hardware if the coffee you use is not up to scratch. Keep us posted on how you get on, once the journey starts theres no getting off the coffee train ;),

    All the best,
    Mal.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    47

    Re: Getting the most out of a Krups novo 2100-962

    Thanks Mal,

    I think I am finally starting to understand what facets of brewing coffee are most important. I must admit, in the past if you asked me what the most influential equipment/ingredient was in making a good cup of coffee, I would probably have said the machine. I probably wouldnt have said the beans, and I definitely never would have guessed the grinder! But thankfully I am starting to see the road to better coffee now, thanks to all your advice! :)

    Is the Sunbean EM0480 grinder mentioned by Sparky the way to go for a grinder or should I just spring for the "rocky" that KoNG has (and cant stop raving about!)?

    I have talked KoNG into roasting some beans for me which should be great, but until then I might head down to Bay City Roasters down the road and grab some freshly roasted beans. There is a little deli / coffee shop down the road that looks the part from outside, so that might be worth considering too...

    Thanks again! :)

  10. #10
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,768

    Re: Getting the most out of a Krups novo 2100-962

    Quote Originally Posted by T.D. link=1148949718/0#8 date=1149024515
    Is the Sunbean EM0480 grinder mentioned by Sparky the way to go for a grinder or should I just spring for the "rocky" that KoNG has (and cant stop raving about!)?

    Thanks again! :)
    Hi again TD,

    Yes, the Sunbeam EMO480 has impressed quite a few people with its apparent potential. Personally though, I would hesitate to recommend it as a long-term proposition until it has proven its worth over several years of reliable operation. Having said that, yes.... the Rocky is a capable and sturdy unit with an enviable record of performance and longevity, but it is not the only one and may not represent the best value either, and Im not in a position to make this assessment unfortunately.

    Someone who does though, is any one of our site sponsors such as CosmoreX, Talk Coffee, etc. The people who own and operate these businesses are long time professionals and give freely of their time and professionally backed advice to CS members, so I would heartily recommend that you talk to one or all and make your decision on a suitable grinder from there. Since we have free access to the services of these very generous professionals on offer, why not take advantage of it :). All the best,

    Mal.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    47

    Re: Getting the most out of a Krups novo 2100-962

    I just thought Id mention that I picked up a Sunbeam EM480 grinder today. It took a few goes to get the grind right for my machine. I read in another thread that "11" on the grind setting was perfect for somebody else, but it was too fine for me (no coffee got through, and I didnt tamp it hard at all). I have found for the Krups machine that somewhere around "20" is more like it, but I will continue to fine tune things.

    Anyway, it has made a noticable difference. Since KoNG gave me a bit of a coffee tutorial the other day the coffees I have made have probably been the best yet. What a great mate! ;D

    I also found a popcorn maker deep in the cupboard that I didnt even realise I had! Bonus! So I will try roasting my own beans in the coming weeks too. Should be great!

  12. #12
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,768

    Re: Getting the most out of a Krups novo 2100-962

    Quote Originally Posted by T.D. link=1148949718/0#10 date=1149317198
    I also found a popcorn maker deep in the cupboard that I didnt even realise I had! Bonus! So I will try roasting my own beans in the coming weeks too. Should be great!
    Dont forget the soup-tin chimney (tall Heinz tins are the best)...... makes all the difference :),

    Mal.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    47

    Re: Getting the most out of a Krups novo 2100-962

    Thanks Mal. I am about to head over to KoNGs place to see him roast some beans and try a coffee from his Silvia machine. Will have my pen and paper poised!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    459

    Re: Getting the most out of a Krups novo 2100-962

    Quote Originally Posted by T.D. link=1148949718/0#10 date=1149317198
    I just thought Id mention that I picked up a Sunbeam EM480 grinder today. It took a few goes to get the grind right for my machine. I read in another thread that "11" on the grind setting was perfect for somebody else, but it was too fine for me (no coffee got through, and I didnt tamp it hard at all). I have found for the Krups machine that somewhere around "20" is more like it, but I will continue to fine tune things.
    I did the Sunbeam coffee course lastg weekend and one of the (cute) baristi there said that between different machines and different grinders and different users the various 0480s they had were dialled in anywhere between 4 and 20!

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    47

    Re: Getting the most out of a Krups novo 2100-962

    I am still amazed at how specific the grind settings and tamping pressures are for different machines. But I am also still learning about pretty much all this stuff! ::) ;D

    I have since started to bring the setting back down in the finer direction. I am now at around 16. I think I will try and get my tamping pressure consistent now and then further tweak the grind settings to get the whole "30ml in 30 seconds" thing happening. At the moment its too fast but I am definitely not tamping hard enough (knee-jerk reaction after the first few tries when no coffee came out!). The next week or so will just be testing time!

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    459

    Re: Getting the most out of a Krups novo 2100-962

    Singles (30ml) are tricky. Try getting your doubles right first, theyre a little more forgiving.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1
    Hi there
    I have just been given a Krup 962 but with no manual or information. Would anyone on here be able to tell me where I could/find order one please. I have no experience of coffee machines at all either so having play around scares me no end!
    Many thanks
    Karrie

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    16
    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Both machines I have had came with no instructions/manual. I would recommmend a google search, I found both of mine very easily.



Similar Threads

  1. Krups 978 Novo 4100 (Can I make it better)
    By markthespark in forum Brewing Equipment - Entry level (sub $500)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 3rd October 2016, 04:10 PM
  2. Krups NOVO 3000 baskets blown out and need replacing others that fit?
    By NRB in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 7th May 2013, 05:31 PM
  3. Krups Novo 3000 Procrema Model 885
    By Cavarna in forum Brewing Equipment - Entry level (sub $500)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 5th October 2012, 12:11 AM
  4. Krups Novo Plus not steaming
    By Brekel in forum Brewing Equipment (non-machine specific)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17th June 2006, 01:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •