Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: What equipment should I get next

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    74

    What equipment should I get next

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi. I am keen to continue my coffee journey. Currently we have a sunbeam em6910 paired with a la san marco sm95 grinder. I am looking at upgrading to something that has much better steam power, so perhaps the new breville dual boiler or a HX machine. So the cheapest of these options start at around $1200. OTOH I could get a coffee roaster instead. This would set me back only about $400 and give me quite a lot of pleasure.

    What do people think? :) If you are in my shoes, or if you have been in my shoes, what will/did you do?

  2. #2
    Bean Powered Member jaybee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    260

    Re: What equipment should I get next

    Yup, its a tough call - expensive Italian chrome or Chinese alloy at less than half the price for the same functionality and more...

    If the Breville had been about when I bought my Rocket, the decision would have been very difficult and I guess that the price I paid second hand for the rocket was low enough to make me make the leap from the em6910, and I am very happy with the rocket.

    Of course, if you do go for the Breville, you can afford a roaster too. Everyone should have an iCoffee in the shed even if only to roast an occasional single origin to impress the neighbours.

    One final thought - Once you buy a top end machine, every poor drink you make becomes your fault, not the machines. There is some comfort in NOT upgrading!

  3. #3
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: What equipment should I get next

    Hi quickling,

    CoffeeSnobs started quite some years ago now and I have fond memories of a few blokes in a back yard divvying up a couple of bags of green beans which had been purchased from one of the Melbourne brokers. I met Andy that day and so began a friendship. My how we have grown and learned together. From that handful of guys, we now number over 15,000.* :o

    That special Saturday afternoon to me is what CoffeeSnobs is all about and the reason we started was that eureka moment where we each realised that we could turn some greens into browns and that they were actually pretty damn good!

    Machines will come and go, but the passion and learning inspired by jumping into the deep end is priceless and its what drives me every day.

    Forget about the machine- that can come later. Buy the roaster and you will never, ever look back for you will learn more about coffee than you ever thought you could.

    Happy roasting!

    Chris*

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    74

    Re: What equipment should I get next

    Well I think it is pretty much unanimous what I should get next. Thanks for the help guys :), behmor or icoffee... here I come...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toowoomba QLD
    Posts
    417

    Re: What equipment should I get next

    Quote Originally Posted by 5C696463574B676E6E6D6D080 link=1310285470/2#2 date=1310295615
    Hi quickling,

    CoffeeSnobs started quite some years ago now and I have fond memories of a few blokes in a back yard divvying up a couple of bags of green beans which had been purchased from one of the Melbourne brokers. I met Andy that day and so began a friendship. My how we have grown and learned together. From that handful of guys, we now number over 15,000.* :o

    That special Saturday afternoon to me is what CoffeeSnobs is all about and the reason we started was that eureka moment where we each realised that we could turn some greens into browns and that they were actually pretty damn good!

    Machines will come and go, but the passion and learning inspired by jumping into the deep end is priceless and its what drives me every day.

    Forget about the machine- that can come later. Buy the roaster and you will never, ever look back for you will learn more about coffee than you ever thought you could.

    Happy roasting!

    Chris*
    What a great story! Is the history of CoffeeSnobs written down anywhere (must confess, just read the quote and jumped straight in without searching :o)? Its such a great site with IMHO, great moderators. Im currently tinkering with a popper roaster and learning heaps and appreciating the complexities of coffee more and more. So thanks to the founders and pioneers - you started a wonderful thing for which many of us are eternally grateful! :)

  6. #6
    Senior Member fatboy_1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,116

    Re: What equipment should I get next

    Quote Originally Posted by 06332233656F560 link=1310285470/4#4 date=1310343738
    What a great story! Is the history of CoffeeSnobs written down anywhere (must confess, just read the quote and jumped straight in without searching )? Its such a great site with IMHO, great moderators. Im currently tinkering with a popper roaster and learning heaps and appreciating the complexities of coffee more and more. So thanks to the founders and pioneers - you started a wonderful thing for which many of us are eternally grateful!
    Pete - There was a history of CoffeeSnobs thread around a little while back, I think its possibly off being updated/edited by Andy at present.

    The story from Chris is a great one and had me reminiscing all weekend as I was also one of those few blokes in the early days.

    I still have one of the original "Indian Tiger Mountain" bags hanging in my shed from those first few bean divvy-ups in Melbourne!

    Brett.

  7. #7
    lu
    lu is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    140

    Re: What equipment should I get next

    Quote Originally Posted by 7144494E7A664A43434040250 link=1310285470/2#2 date=1310295615
    Hi quickling,

    CoffeeSnobs started quite some years ago now and I have fond memories of a few blokes in a back yard divvying up a couple of bags of green beans which had been purchased from one of the Melbourne brokers. I met Andy that day and so began a friendship. My how we have grown and learned together. From that handful of guys, we now number over 15,000.* :o

    That special Saturday afternoon to me is what CoffeeSnobs is all about and the reason we started was that eureka moment where we each realised that we could turn some greens into browns and that they were actually pretty damn good!

    Machines will come and go, but the passion and learning inspired by jumping into the deep end is priceless and its what drives me every day.

    Forget about the machine- that can come later. Buy the roaster and you will never, ever look back for you will learn more about coffee than you ever thought you could.

    Happy roasting!

    Chris*
    +1 just do it quickling, you will find so much generous help and friendly advice every day :)

    Quote Originally Posted by 42776677212B120 link=1310285470/4#4 date=1310343738
    What a great story! Is the history of CoffeeSnobs written down anywhere (must confess, just read the quote and jumped straight in without searching :o)? Its such a great site with IMHO, great moderators. Im currently tinkering with a popper roaster and learning heaps and appreciating the complexities of coffee more and more. So thanks to the founders and pioneers - you started a wonderful thing for which many of us are eternally grateful! :)
    What he said* :-*

  8. #8
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: What equipment should I get next

    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Hi lu,

    Andy started a history some time ago and there was a thread. I *think* he may have moved it to a non-viewable area to work on it and perhaps other more important things got in the way.

    There are so many terrific stories.... Just ask him about "the incinerator" at the Coffee Academy that day!* ;D



Similar Threads

  1. Home brewing equipment - advice needed - height restriction for equipment.
    By wannabasnob in forum Brewing Equipment (non-machine specific)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 18th July 2014, 02:30 PM
  2. SCAA 2012 Equipment pictures - Testing equipment
    By Javaphile in forum General News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 3rd June 2012, 10:23 AM
  3. SCAA 2012 Equipment pictures - Tea brewing equipment
    By Javaphile in forum General News
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 1st June 2012, 11:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •