Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Ive got a $1K-2K budget for a machine. Help?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    114

    Ive got a $1K-2K budget for a machine. Help?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So,

    In the course of research, Ive boiled my machine criteria list to these things:

    1) E-61 Grouphead (single grouphead)
    2) With built in water tank (no plumbing)
    3) Heat Exchange (wish I had buget for a double boiler) though this might be asking too much.
    4) Budget $1-2K

    Can people help me with recommendations?

    1) Brand and Model of Machine: eg: La Scala Butterfly
    2) Where I can see and/or buy the machine (Im located in Melbourne)

    I had a look round online and the US to Australian conversion rate seems to be $$ x2 - x2.5 (current actual rate is x1.35 or so). Ouch. Even factoring in freight and GST, thats a huge premium over the prices listed on coffeegeek.com. Sigh. The disadvantages of living in the arse end of the world!


    Thanks,
    Shawn


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    168

    Re: Ive got a $1K-2K budget for a machine. Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by shawn_low link=1131434365/0#0 date=1131434365
    So,
    I had a look round online and the US to Australian conversion rate seems to be $$ x2 - x2.5 (current actual rate is x1.35 or so). Ouch. Even factoring in freight and GST, thats a huge premium over the prices listed on coffeegeek.com. Sigh. The disadvantages of living in the arse end of the world!


    Thanks,
    Shawn

    Shawn - I know youre joking, but I think the advantages outweigh the (perceived) disdvantages.
    8-) :D ;) :) *I wouldnt live anywhere else in the world (except certain parts of NZ) even if they delivered a free e61 machine every day with the milk. 8-) *This is NOT the arse end of the world, if the news youre watching and reading is the same as what Im getting. Youre living in paradise, mate. :)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19

    Re: Ive got a $1K-2K budget for a machine. Help?

    I wouldnt live anywhere else in the world (except certain parts of NZ) even if they delivered a free e61 machine every day with the milk. * This is NOT the arse end of the world, if the news youre watching and reading is the same as what Im getting. Youre living in paradise, mate. *
    Posted by: shawn_low Posted on: Today at 18:19
    So,
    I agree whole heartedly

    Cheers

    Rosey

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    441

    Re: Ive got a $1K-2K budget for a machine. Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by shawn_low link=1131434365/0#0 date=1131434365
    1) Brand and Model of Machine: eg: La Scala Butterfly
    2) Where I can see and/or buy the machine (Im located in Melbourne)
    Hey Shawn, I was in your shoes a few months ago, so I hope what I say helps!

    1) Look at Expobar machines. You might not be able to afford the barista minore (dual boiler jobbie), but check out the office leva and the office pulser models. You can find the leva for around $1700-$1800, and the office pulser for around $1200. Both are e61, heat exchange machines.

    But have you got a grinder? There are plenty of cheaper grinders that can do the job (FC is into telling everyone that right now), but if you search around, you can do what I did, and get a Mazzer Mini to go with an office pulser, for the grand total of slightly over $1800. (granted, I got a super-sweet deal on the expobar)

    2) From memory, www.coffeecompany.com.au (try this link: http://www.coffeecompany.com.au/Shopping_Cart.php?category=22&main_category=Hardwa re , and scroll down to EXPOBAR SA PACKAGE) might have you in to look at the machines - theyve got my combo for $2120, maybe you could talk them down a bit...

    have fun!

    EDIT: I would steer clear of buying a brewtus from the US and using it here - power issues and I think they modified the barista minore a bit from what theyve learnt from the US market....

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,176

    Re: Ive got a $1K-2K budget for a machine. Help?


    I think the arse end of the world just got an enema called hurricane Katrina.

    If you check the price of the Expobar Brewtus in the US its around $1500. The same machine here is $2300 (aka Barista Minore). Otherwise Is go wityh Mattyjs suggestions. The Expobar range seems to be heavily discounted now the Barista Minore has hit the streets. Ive seen some very good prices on the Office Leva.

    If you dont have a grinder, then youll have to factor that into the budget. So reserve at least $300 for a decent grinder. Otherwise try and save the extra $300 for the Barista Minore for a permanent cure for upgradeitis.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    114

    Re: Ive got a $1K-2K budget for a machine. Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by mattyj link=1131434365/0#3 date=1131449221
    1) Look at Expobar machines. You might not be able to afford the barista minore (dual boiler jobbie), but check out the office leva and the office pulser models. You can find the leva for around $1700-$1800, and the office pulser for around $1200. Both are e61, heat exchange machines.

    But have you got a grinder? There are plenty of cheaper grinders that can do the job (FC is into telling everyone that right now), but if you search around, you can do what I did, and get a Mazzer Mini to go with an office pulser, for the grand total of slightly over $1800. (granted, I got a super-sweet deal on the expobar)

    have fun!

    EDIT: I would steer clear of buying a brewtus from the US and using it here - power issues and I think they modified the barista minore a bit from what theyve learnt from the US market....
    The expobar prices are very attractive for what you get. I might drop by the store to have a look.

    Asthetically, they dont look as nice as the Minore or Giottos, etc. But it does fit the criteria.

    The only other machine that fits in the budget is the Vibiemme Domobar at $1K. The Domobar super is a few hundred more but has the HX instead of single boiler.

    Grinder wise, the Mazzer Mini is a great choice. However, at this point, I am grinding beans at a mates coffeeshop. I might get an expobar/mazzer combo. The price looks right...

    Thanks. Keep the recommendations coming!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,949

    Re: Ive got a $1K-2K budget for a machine. Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by shawn_low link=1131434365/0#5 date=1131510365
    Asthetically, they dont look as nice as the Minore or Giottos, etc. But it does fit the criteria.
    Maybe were looking at different models. The Expobar Office Leva (EB-61) is what the Minore (Brewtus) was made from. It looks exactly the same, just without the red temp readout. Ive got a friend with this machine and I could certainly handle having one at home. At the prices, I might actually have to start thinking about it seriously ...

    Quote Originally Posted by shawn_low link=1131434365/0#5 date=1131510365
    The only other machine that fits in the budget is the Vibiemme Domobar at $1K. The Domobar super is a few hundred more but has the HX instead of single boiler.
    Last I checked, the Domobar Super was around $2k.

    Quote Originally Posted by shawn_low link=1131434365/0#5 date=1131510365
    Grinder wise, the Mazzer Mini is a great choice. However, at this point, I am grinding beans at a mates coffeeshop. I might get an expobar/mazzer combo. The price looks right...

    Thanks. Keep the recommendations coming!
    The iberital challenge is probably the best value grinder out there. If youre going to go all-out for a grinder, the mini-E is ridiculously expensive and quite convenient/clean. La Cimbali make a grinder called the Max that has both conical and parallel burrs, as well as a belt drive. The only price that I could find for it was $1k in NZ dollars, but if you could rustle one of them up, itd be awesome.

    There was a place selling the Fiorenzato Bricoletta for $1.85k. Thats a steal for a single-group with a rotary pump.

    A few CS members seem to have picked up 2nd hand bezzeras for scrap. Might want to keep your eyes open.

    Cheers,

    Luca

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    9

    Re: Ive got a $1K-2K budget for a machine. Help?

    Hi Shawn,

    I am a Melbournian like yourself - true, the price different between here and US is enormous - someone must be making a lot of $$$. However, i would not live anywhere else in the world.

    Now back to the main subject - Just over two weeks ago i was in the market with the same buget like yours - i was thinking of going for Expobar office pulser+Rocky for around $1800 at a retail outlet in melbourne. However, by accident, i came across this site: http://www.coffeelovers.net.au/html/coffeelovers.html and took the plunge and ordered the Minore+Mazzer combination.

    I have Minore+Mazzer just over a week now and very satisfied.

    I would recommend to give Rick at coffeelovers a buzz....

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,949

    Re: Ive got a $1K-2K budget for a machine. Help?

    Mind my asking how much Brewtus + Mini set you back?

  10. #10
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Ive got a $1K-2K budget for a machine. Help?

    Luca, Luca, Luca....its always all about the $$$$$ isnt it ::) ;) ;D

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    441

    Re: Ive got a $1K-2K budget for a machine. Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by wombat link=1131434365/0#7 date=1131862872
    I would recommend to give Rick at coffeelovers a buzz....
    Yeah, I second that - Ricks is great to deal with. I nearly bought my stuff through him, until i found someone local to buy from (being from sydney).

    I really recommend throwing a grinder into the budget. You wont regret it.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    9

    Re: Ive got a $1K-2K budget for a machine. Help?

    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Hi Luca - now that you reminded me - i couldnt believe i did it ;) - anyway i got the pair for $2730...



Similar Threads

  1. Coffee machine on a budget
    By Sponge in forum Brewing Equipment - Pointy End ($1500-$3000)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23rd January 2008, 10:25 AM
  2. Budget machine for a friend
    By drovers-sunrise in forum Brewing Equipment - Entry level (sub $500)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 30th October 2007, 09:58 AM
  3. Budget Machine Questions...
    By Expresso in forum Brewing Equipment - Entry level (sub $500)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 23rd June 2007, 10:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •