Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Leaving PF locked in grouphead for extended period

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    720

    Leaving PF locked in grouphead for extended period

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ive always wondered if it was ok to leave the PF locked in (not tight) the grouphead for any extended period of time ie. overnight to warm up together with the machine set on a timer? Given PFs are quite heavy with some brass in them, would leaving them in the group cause increased wear or stress on the group section itself?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    554

    Re: Leaving PF locked in grouphead for extended pe

    I have always left the PF in the brewhead when my machines were not in use. Mainly because, first thing in the morning, it is so hard to remember to lock it in place while fighting the morning, mental fog. Never caused any problems so far as I can tell. As you said, I just lightly tighten it until the pressure of the gasket stops its motion— not locked fully in place as if to brew— that saves the brewhead gasket for unnecessary compression. .

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,687

    Re: Leaving PF locked in grouphead for extended pe

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy G. link=1217597876/0#1 date=1217599497
    I have always left the PF in the brewhead when my machines were not in use. Mainly because, first thing in the morning, it is so hard to remember to lock it in place while fighting the morning, mental fog. Never caused any problems so far as I can tell. *As you said, I just lightly tighten it until the pressure of the gasket stops its motion— not locked fully in place as if to brew— that saves the brewhead gasket for unnecessary compression. .
    Ditto!

  4. #4
    sdg
    sdg is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    368

    Re: Leaving PF locked in grouphead for extended pe

    I sure hope not, because leaving the PF loosely in the group to keep it toasty is exactly what I do, as well :-/

    Though I cant see how it could damage anything, just to have it sitting there.

  5. #5
    Senior Member greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    3,160

    Re: Leaving PF locked in grouphead for extended pe

    Yes, loosely.......................sometimes I bump it and it falls down and scares the c....p out of me!!!

  6. #6
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Leaving PF locked in grouphead for extended pe

    Quote Originally Posted by greenman link=1217597876/0#4 date=1217632214
    Yes, loosely.......................sometimes I bump it and it falls down and scares the c....p out of me!!!
    What he said...

  7. #7
    Senior Member Koffee_Kosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,113

    Re: Leaving PF locked in grouphead for extended pe

    I don’t leave it in
    Due partly to safety with a handle sticking out to bump into when walking past as my machine is positioned on the outer edge of the bench

    For this reason I leave both my Porta Filters placed on top of the cup warmer
    I run a water shot through the PF to warm it to same temp before any coffee

    KK




  8. #8
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Leaving PF locked in grouphead for extended pe

    Quote Originally Posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1217597876/0#6 date=1217643034
    I don’t leave it in
    Due partly to safety with a handle sticking out to bump into when walking past as my machine is positioned on the outer edge of the bench

    For this reason I leave both my Porta Filters placed on top of the cup warmer
    I run a water shot through the PF to warm it to same temp before any coffee

    KK
    I disagree. Keep it in, loosely locked, clean, warm and dry.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Koffee_Kosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,113

    Re: Leaving PF locked in grouphead for extended pe

    I hit my arm on it every time I walk to use the kitchen sink if the PF is left in the group head
    And I can do without a corked arm Chris

    I don’t disagree with others it’s a safety thing for my situation

    KK

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    441

    Re: Leaving PF locked in grouphead for extended pe

    Ive actually started leaving mine out lately, rather than locked in.

    Partly because my basket sticks to the gasket if I leave it in, so when I take the pf out, the basket stays stuck in and its a PITA to get out, especially when its hot.

    And partly because I figure that if I have to run cooling flushes, I might as well kill two birds with one stone - run the cooling flush with the pf in place to get it hot.

    Ive noticed no difference in the cup, and I figure thats the most important thing.

  11. #11
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Leaving PF locked in grouphead for extended pe

    Quote Originally Posted by AngerManagement link=1217597876/0#5 date=1217635482
    Quote Originally Posted by greenman link=1217597876/0#4 date=1217632214
    Yes, loosely.......................sometimes I bump it and it falls down and scares the c....p out of me!!!
    What he said... *
    Ditto.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    703

    Re: Leaving PF locked in grouphead for extended pe

    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyj link=1217597876/0#9 date=1217678662
    Ive actually started leaving mine out lately, rather than locked in.

    Partly because my basket sticks to the gasket if I leave it in, so when I take the pf out, the basket stays stuck in and its a PITA to get out, especially when its hot.

    And partly because I figure that if I have to run cooling flushes, I might as well kill two birds with one stone - run the cooling flush with the pf in place to get it hot.

    Ive noticed no difference in the cup, and I figure thats the most important thing.
    I had similar problems a while ago,...basket sticking to gasket, that is,...
    was starting to lock the pf in too tight, it wont stick to the basket if the pf is only loosely in the head. Having said that. mostly it is out when machine is off, I put it in as I turn it on.
    Bullitt



Similar Threads

  1. Resting period post roasting
    By Bubbacullen1 in forum Home Roasting - Tips, Tricks, Ideas
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 23rd April 2010, 11:18 AM
  2. Pullman Tamper Delivery Period
    By ahxiongko in forum Brewing Equipment (non-machine specific)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 20th May 2008, 08:29 PM
  3. Locked thread
    By JavaB in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 9th April 2007, 08:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •