Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    80

    Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have a manual DeLonghi and wondering what the best value (effectiveness & cost) descaler/cleaning method going around?
    Tablet...liquid...do I need a blind basket and backflush?
    Bit of a noob so would appreciate your help.
    Cheers

    ps. Have I missed something... iike FAQ?...as this would be a common enquiry?

  2. #2
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    Quote Originally Posted by 547676776A7170777C190 link=1261741376/0#0 date=1261741376
    I have a manual DeLonghi and wondering what the best value (effectiveness & cost) descaler/cleaning method going around?
    Tablet...liquid...do I need a blind basket and backflush?
    Bit of a noob so would appreciate your help.
    Cheers

    ps. Have I missed something... iike FAQ?...as this would be a common enquiry?
    Users Manual is teh first place to look...

    In addition, as there are hundreds of machines out there a simple FAQ is not as easy as it first sounds.. In addition, many will still post the same question many times but not bother to search or use an FAQ...

    Further more, there are many manual DeLonghi systems and thus... Without specifics, even another manual DeLonghi user is not going to be able to assist.. They would need more detail.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    80

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    Thanks for replying Anger.

    Purchased machine 2nd hand off eBay without a manual.
    I have emailed DeLonghi Customer service to ask them about cleaning method.

  4. #4
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    Quote Originally Posted by 486A6A6B766D6C6B60050 link=1261741376/2#2 date=1261777514
    Thanks for replying Anger.

    Purchased machine 2nd hand off eBay without a manual.
    I have emailed DeLonghi Customer service to ask them about cleaning method.
    Opps.. evil place is great for blowing monies if your not experienced and or able to do a pick-up...

    You have still not provided Model information ???

    Others may have or used the same machine... But as stated before they are different...

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    80

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    DeLonghi BAR- M290 - retails $349

    Cheers - (sip sip latte) :P

  6. #6
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    Quote Originally Posted by 406262637E656463680D0 link=1261741376/4#4 date=1261798984
    DeLonghi BAR- M290 - retails $349

    Cheers - (sip sip latte) :P
    User manual on the Delonghi home page along with all their other models..

    http://www.delonghi.com.au/support/instruction_manuals/BARM290_im.pdf

    Google is a search eng ;D

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    80

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    Fantastic...thanks Anger!! :)
    descaler = white vineager

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    80

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    Funny though, before posting here I did go to the DeLonghi site, clicked on products and typed in model No, and each time no results.
    Didnt try all the combinations but it was there obviously.
    Cheers :)

  9. #9
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    Quote Originally Posted by 47656564796263646F0A0 link=1261741376/7#7 date=1261826244
    Funny though, before posting here I did go to the DeLonghi site, clicked on products and typed in model No, and each time no results.
    Didnt try all the combinations but it was there obviously.
    Cheers *:)
    I just used the numbers... All to often.. If ya try to be to specific, ya get lost as the filters do not always work as one might expect...

    Script kiddies and GUI interfaces is the result of todays requirements for many coders... It is time efficient and a cost issue... Further more, as most users dont complain, the owners never know how good or bad their web pages are...

    I always try to leave feedback as to 404 errors or missing pages / links etc... Most are very happy to actually get feedback... The smaller places that are starting out like it.... The bigger places often dont care as they have the numbers and throughput...

    Opps..... OT

  10. #10
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    Quote Originally Posted by 7A585859445F5E5952370 link=1261741376/6#6 date=1261821293
    descaler = white vineager *
    Nowadays it is recommended to use specially designed solution for espresso machines descaling *that are far more effective and less harmful to your coffee machine.

    Check our cleaning solution page for product info: www.dibartoli.com.au/products.asp?cid=42

    This link on Bombora web site will provide even more info and interesting answers to questions like:"why not vinegar?"
    www.clean-machine.com.au/images/CMTAD100_link.PDF

    Ofra

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sri Lanka
    Posts
    486

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    I was curious as to whether citric acid is the active ingredient in that 100% descaler that Ive seen - can it be used to descale a coffee machine?

  12. #12
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    7,122

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    Was speaking to a rep from one of the better known producers of descaler the other day, he told me the main ingredient in their product is Citric acid. :-?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    275

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    Quote Originally Posted by 102C253D28490 link=1261741376/11#11 date=1262953717
    Was speaking to a rep from one of the better known producers of descaler the other day, he told me the main ingredient in their product is Citric acid. *
    Interesting, I wonder how it works on dandruff?

    Apparently www.rocket-espresso.com suggests hair shampoo for group handle cleaning and backflushing in "How to clean your Giotto or Cellini".
    Some of our brethren may not consider this as designed for purpose, hope it doesnt cause a tiff.


  14. #14
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    Quote Originally Posted by 5B676E7663020 link=1261741376/11#11 date=1262953717
    Was speaking to a rep from one of the better known producers of descaler the other day, he told me the main ingredient in their product is Citric acid. :-?
    Yes Jon, pretty much correct BUT they also use other acids so as to dissolve the plaques which citric acid will simply lift. Without using the other stuff, these plaques can and do block things like gicleurs and thermosyphon restrictors.

    Never ceases to amaze me that people will spend thousands on a machine and then look to save a few bucks by attempting to cobble up their own version of what they think a cleaner should be ::)

  15. #15
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    15,924

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    Quote Originally Posted by 696C6B6176647C7764050 link=1261741376/12#12 date=1262958706
    Apparently www.rocket-espresso.com suggests hair shampoo for group handle cleaning and backflushing in "How to clean your Giotto or Cellini".
    Some of our brethren may not consider this as designed for purpose, hope it doesnt cause a tiff.
    I suspect this is a translation issue and they dont intend for you to actually use shampoo.

    Next or weekly, put a small amount of head shampoo into the blind filter and repeat the process as above. Repeat this process until the shampoo runs clean into the drain tray via the exhaust solenoid. Ensure that you back flush the machine once again so the shampoo residues are washed way.
    Quoted from care and cleaning document found here: http://www.rocket-espresso.it/downloads/How_To_Clean.pdf


    Java "Oh the fun you can have with translations!" phile

  16. #16
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    7,122

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    Quote Originally Posted by 752A32242F2428212122222A2629470 link=1261741376/13#13 date=1262974417
    block things like gicleurs
    Ah ha, the penny drops, have noticed the odd reference to (gicleur/s) just Googled it, what is being referred to is French for a jet, nozzle or tube, so we are using French terminology for a part on an Italian machine in an English speaking country. ::)
    Quote Originally Posted by 752A32242F2428212122222A2629470 link=1261741376/13#13 date=1262974417
    Never ceases to amaze me that people will spend thousands on a machine and then look to save a few bucks by attempting to cobble up their own version of what they think a cleaner should be
    I,m not recommending the use of Citric acid as a descaler, simply an observation that the acid is a major component in at least one of the available products, I use that particular product myself. ;)

  17. #17
    kbc
    kbc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,960

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    Hi all,

    So, what is the best descaler to buy and wher do you get it from?

    I want something better than citric acid to get to work in there !!!

  18. #18
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    Quote Originally Posted by 4C7D697065282C281C0 link=1261741376/16#16 date=1263963476
    Hi all,

    So, what is the best descaler to buy and wher do you get it from?

    I want something better than citric acid to get to work in there !!!
    See teh sponsors to the left... I like Cafetto...

  19. #19
    kbc
    kbc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,960

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    Thanks!

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    great info thanks

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    80

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value


    Damn, my DeLonghi off eBay started tripping my safety switch on the mains. Appears like a dodgy electrical problem as the lights were delaying when pressing the buttons. Dont want to risk electrical and reverted back to my Sunbeam. Coffee just as good.

    Yeah...certainly can do your $ on eBay (as above poster said)

    Still having a nice coffee though so not stressin ;)

  22. #22
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    Quote Originally Posted by 042626273A2120272C490 link=1261741376/20#20 date=1269164432
    Damn, my DeLonghi off eBay started tripping my safety switch on the mains. Appears like a dodgy electrical problem as the lights were delaying when pressing the buttons. Dont want to risk electrical and reverted back to my Sunbeam. Coffee just as good.

    Yeah...certainly can do your $ on eBay (as above poster said)

    Still having a nice coffee though so not stressin *;)
    Good thing....Dodgybay gear may sometimes come withthe promise of a warranty, but good luck getting it honoured ::)

    Good thing you have options

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    80

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value


    Yeah...was nearly going to give the Sunbeam away but thought Id keep it as a backup....at least got that part right!
    I have picked up some good hi-fi gear on eBay but have been caught out a few times too, so agree it is risky business.
    You think your getting a bargain but even when true, really only makes up for the losses when advertised as new only to find out it is a refurb or factory second.
    A nice coffee eases the pain though.

    Ive ordered some North Queensland Gold Espresso coffee grown and roasted in NQ. Should be interesting. :-/

  24. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    my wife has been trying a few different manufacturers she found online:

    Commercial NON-Sponsor link removed in accordance with Site Sales and Posting Policy - Please familiarise yourself with the Site Policy. Can be found at the top of each Category listing.

    the delonghi is quite good in value

  25. #25
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    7,122

    Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by 6D7065686D656A5B6668616A60040 link=1261741376/23#23 date=1287546434
    my wife has been trying a few different manufacturers she found online:

    Commercial NON-Sponsor link removed in accordance with Site Sales and Posting Policy - Please familiarise yourself with the Site Policy. Can be found at the top of each Category listing.

    the delonghi is quite good in value
    This is a pretty old thread, try http://www.coffeeparts.com/accessories/cleaner.html I use Cafetto Restore, pack of 4 lasts me 12 months, descale every 3 months.
    The Delonghi seems pretty expensive to me.



Similar Threads

  1. Descaler. Which one?
    By Jaishar in forum Brewing Equipment (non-machine specific)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 24th October 2012, 02:21 PM
  2. Magnetic Descaler
    By grendel in forum Brewing Equipment (non-machine specific)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 26th May 2007, 10:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •