Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Descaler. Which one?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    28

    Descaler. Which one?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have a Silvia that is coming up for a descale. Just wondering what descaler is recommended for it?

    There are so many different types Im not sure what type or brand to get. Any suggestions would be great!

    Cheers, Jai

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,077

    Re: Descaler. Which one?

    i would recommend the clean machine triple action descaling solution.
    Its a great product and good value for money.

    I use it for my Giotto

    Mal

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaishar View Post
    I have a Silvia that is coming up for a descale. Just wondering what descaler is recommended for it?

    There are so many different types Im not sure what type or brand to get. Any suggestions would be great!

    Cheers, Jai
    Hi. I was at Sam's Warehouse yesterday where I noticed a new line of British made household cleaners under the Astonish brand name. One of the products is a descaler that comes in a 750ml bottle, which cost only $2! There is no smell at all, and the label said to use 100ml for domestic coffee machines. The products were on a lone stand in the centre isle.

  4. #4
    Senior Member GregWormald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,286
    Get one designed specifically for coffee machines!! The machines are too expensive to save a $ or 2 and risk damage.
    Many of the sponsors here will have just what you need.

    Greg

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    61
    citric acid works.

  6. #6
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665
    Quote Originally Posted by rat_tat View Post
    citric acid works.
    Yes- it works to keep technicians employed when the scale plaques it lifts off machine components then block solenoids and other machine components.

    The only descale event for which citric is appropriate is when boilers and pipework are in a bucket- having been removed from a machine

  7. #7
    Senior Member CafeLotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Aust.
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Yes- it works to keep technicians employed when the scale plaques it lifts off machine components then block solenoids and other machine components.

    The only descale event for which citric is appropriate is when boilers and pipework are in a bucket- having been removed from a machine
    Which descaler due you favour Chris?

  8. #8
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665
    Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    Which descaler due you favour Chris?
    G'day CL,

    We use Bomboa activated descaler powder and find it really effective #bangforbuck

    Chris

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Yes- it works to keep technicians employed when the scale plaques it lifts off machine components then block solenoids and other machine components.

    The only descale event for which citric is appropriate is when boilers and pipework are in a bucket- having been removed from a machine
    Good to know. thanks

  10. #10
    Senior Member CafeLotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Aust.
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    We use Bomboa activated descaler powder and find it really effective #bangforbuck
    Thanks for the info Chris. I checked the Bombora website and the listing says its a commercial grade cleaner.

    I guess if the instructions aren't followed closely this might do more harm than good seeing its designated as commercial and not domestic use?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    .....I guess if the instructions aren't followed closely this might do more harm than good ......
    Errr ? .. as would be the case with any active descaler . !

  12. #12
    Coffee+carbon=heaven Mono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Regional Victoria
    Posts
    739
    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post

    I guess if the instructions aren't followed closely this might do more harm than good seeing its designated as commercial and not domestic use?
    Yes, you don't need much at all otherwise it strips the lube away from your cam and valve actuator pins.

    Steve



Similar Threads

  1. Descaler/cleaner - quality & value
    By Moonshine in forum Brewing Equipment (non-machine specific)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 20th October 2010, 05:39 PM
  2. Magnetic Descaler
    By grendel in forum Brewing Equipment (non-machine specific)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 26th May 2007, 11:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •