The sad thing is some of the worst work I have seen (including quite an array of "fatals" - my dad was a safety engineer so I have seen the results first hand on too many occasions) have been done by so-called professionals. According to Java"font of all knowledge"phile even my Colorado wiring snafu's were due to a fully qualified idiot er, I mean electrician. In hindsight, Java is correct (as usual).
OTOH, some of the best work has also been by fully qualified professionals (my wiring at Bentley for example).
Unfortunately, it is very difficult for a consumer to pick the difference until it is too late. Segue to my dear friend's new dream house - burnt to the ground 4 days after moving in - when their electrician did not bother to leave enough room between their gas HWS (in the roof) and their three phase ducted air con (also in the roof). Luckily they were out at the time, they merely lost everything that was not in their car...
Tamp"wish the qualifications were reviewable biannually and specifically Australian"It