Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Silvia & Rocky or Challenge

  1. #1
    tsk
    tsk is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11

    Silvia & Rocky or Challenge

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

    New here. Came across this site whilst researching coffee machines the last few weeks. Have been reading post after post after post but there are so many!

    Anyway, I think Ive decided that a Silvia is the way to go. My other choice was a Nemox Fenice - main consideration being that it is cheaper - but I guess many would say they dont compare. Im happy to wait till Ive saved a little more to buy something that would last.

    I wondered if anyone whos had to make the decision between a Challenge and a Rocky (and possibly the Nemox Lux) might be reading this post and could offer me some advice?

    Also, I live in Canberra. What are the chances of a recommendation as to somewhere I could go to watch these machines in action prior to purchase?

    Thanks for reading,
    T

  2. #2
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Silvia & Rocky or Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by tsk link=1206500345/0#0 date=1206500345
    Hi All,

    New here. Came across this site whilst researching coffee machines the last few weeks. Have been reading post after post after post but there are so many!

    Anyway, I think Ive decided that a Silvia is the way to go. My other choice was a Nemox Fenice - main consideration being that it is cheaper - but I guess many would say they dont compare. Im happy to wait till Ive saved a little more to buy something that would last.

    I wondered if anyone whos had to make the decision between a Challenge and a Rocky (and possibly the Nemox Lux) might be reading this post and could offer me some advice?

    Also, I live in Canberra. What are the chances of a recommendation as to somewhere I could go to watch these machines in action prior to purchase?

    Thanks for reading,
    T
    Hi tsk and welcome,

    <<<<<<<<< Cosmorex Coffee (site sponsor) in Fyshwick sell all Rancilio and Iberital and will be delighted to assist you. I suggest that you give Attilio a call, identify yourself as a CSer and make an appointment to have a look over and demo of the goodies you have mentioned...

    Good luck!

    Chris

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    720

    Re: Silvia & Rocky or Challenge

    Rocky or Challenge - I chose the rocky because it was stepped. Youd find many here preferring to use a stepless grinder because they can make minute adjustments to suit the beans. I grind beans for friends who only have the plunger, plus I also use a Gaggia at work and silvia at home and they require different grind settings for the same bean so the numbering on the rocky helps.
    I believe the Challenge is stepless.

  4. #4
    tsk
    tsk is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11

    Re: Silvia & Rocky or Challenge

    Thanks for pointing me to Cosmorex Chris. Hopefully I can swing by this weekend.

    Cheers,
    TSK

  5. #5
    tsk
    tsk is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11

    Re: Silvia & Rocky or Challenge

    OK, so Rocky = stepped, Challenge = stepless.

    I know the Rocky comes both in doser and doserless - not sure about the Challenge. I dont even know which one to get as they both seem to have their equal share of pros and cons.

    Also, having read a few more threads, Im wondering how the Compak K3 touch compares with the Rocky, considering theres not a lot of difference between prices. I feel like everytime I think I know what I want, along comes another option to make me start from scratch again! :)

    Any comments anyone?

    Thanks,
    TSK

  6. #6
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Silvia & Rocky or Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by tsk link=1206500345/0#4 date=1206527812
    OK, so Rocky = stepped, Challenge = stepless.

    I know the Rocky comes both in doser and doserless - not sure about the Challenge. I dont even know which one to get as they both seem to have their equal share of pros and cons.

    Also, having read a few more threads, Im wondering how the Compak K3 touch compares with the Rocky, considering theres not a lot of difference between prices. I feel like everytime I think I know what I want, along comes another option to make me start from scratch again! :)

    Any comments anyone?

    Thanks,
    TSK
    If you have the space, K3T every time. Its a little quirky though. Go in with your eyes open and you have a winner. For mine, its as good as the mazzer mini-e and nowhere near the same ballpark as the Macap M4D/M5D.

    Chris

  7. #7
    tsk
    tsk is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11

    Re: Silvia & Rocky or Challenge

    Hi Chris,

    Sorry - what do you mean by quirky? And why is the K3T better than the Rocky? Space is not a problem....Now Im seriously reconsidering...

    - TSK

  8. #8
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Silvia & Rocky or Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by tsk link=1206500345/0#6 date=1206528826
    Hi Chris,

    Sorry - what do you mean by quirky? And why is the K3T better than the Rocky? Space is not a problem....Now Im seriously reconsidering...

    - TSK
    Its better as its stepless and much faster than the Rocky DL. Have a look at the review in the grinders review thread ;)

    Chris

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    791

    Re: Silvia & Rocky or Challenge

    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    my experience with my doserless challenge:
    pros:
    fantastic grind adjustability
    price

    cons:
    loud
    slow
    can clump when grinding for espresso
    fairly messy
    only really suitable for one brewing method (big change to grind is too much work)

    i havent played with any other grinders you have mentioned, but if i had my time again (WITH MORE $) then i would have gone elsewhere, like mazzer or compak range

    and YES the iberital challenge does come with a doser.
    i also saw online (im pretty sure from one of the CS sponsors) a while back that the tranquillio grinder was ~ $385 and might also be on your radar...

    good luck - but as EVERYONE will tell you, splurge on the grinder and save up for the machine



Similar Threads

  1. Iberital Challenge or Rancilio Rocky
    By coffee_snob in forum Grinders
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 28th May 2009, 06:31 PM
  2. Silvia 2009 & Ibertial Challenge - right grind ?
    By dswiders in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 3rd April 2009, 10:16 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23rd February 2008, 12:09 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 31st July 2007, 12:47 PM
  5. Iberital Challenge Vs Rancilio Rocky
    By early_morning_ in forum Grinders
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 18th June 2007, 04:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •